Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trouble with charger

WCF

Help Support WCF:

steve garwood

ginger lion
Good evening fellow windies. I have the same Numax charger that @spruce and @Iron Giant use. Tonight, when I turned on the mains, the green light came on straight away to indicate fully charged even though I’ve been using the battery today.

Anyone know why this is happening and if it’s fixable please? Thanks ??‍?

On the charger is it reading 100% charged in the display, it sounds like the charger could be knackered if it's sensing the battery as fully charged @Apw1210 or possibly @ched999ukmight be able to offer some help if @spruce doesn't answer tonight as he has had his in bit's to fix the fan and something else.  This is the charger https://www.tayna.co.uk/battery-chargers/numax/leisure-12v-10a/

Hopefully you will get the battery charged tonight with a spare charger.

Good evening fellow windies. I have the same Numax charger that @spruce and @Iron Giant use. Tonight, when I turned on the mains, the green light came on straight away to indicate fully charged even though I’ve been using the battery today.

Anyone know why this is happening and if it’s fixable please? Thanks ??‍?
Sounds like a damaged battery to me if it's not charging. Downed cell possibly. I had a leisure battery do this on an advanced split charge circuit. Found my battery at fault. Could be wrong in your case. Having an off day today 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Numax is a decent charger as it is multi stage charging. First thing I would do is measure battery voltage. Should be about 13.7v fully charged. If the voltage is low and the charger is showing green for some reason it might have a fault. 

Only thing I can think of is disconnect charger from battery and mains electricity give it 10 mins and then reconnect. 

It could be charger or battery but the Numax doesn't say it detects number if cells. They are 12v lead acid chargers so it's expecting 6 cells. If 1 cell goes down that could take out somewhere between 2v and 2.3v so I would expect the Numax to consider the battery at fault and not show a green light as a lead acid at 10.5v is considered to have 0% charge left! 

It is starting to get to them time of the year where batteries do die due to cold but the charger is showing a green light mmmmmm .......

You really need to check battery voltage and then switch on charger and test voltage again.

It just has the green light on and says ‘float’ with ‘charging’ flashing o and off. It’s supposed to do this once it has charged
If the other (same charger) gives different result looks like first charger is not working correctly.  I guess it's not in warranty? It's probably not worth the costs of sending it back to manufacturers even if they did offer repair service? Might be worth an email to them, you never know...

It just has the green light on and says ‘float’ with ‘charging’ flashing o and off. It’s supposed to do this once it has charged
Try it on the van's battery @steve garwood.  If it does the same then it could be a break in the cable at the point it exits the charger. It happened to me and I had to cut that section out. If you wiggle the cable at that exit gland then you should be able to get the charger to work briefly. I didn't have the skills to solder new wires onto the circuit board so left a small length and soldered onto that.

Once up and working again I secured the cables to the front with a small cable tie through one of the boxes holes.

Try it on the van's battery @steve garwood.  If it does the same then it could be a break in the cable at the point it exits the charger. It happened to me and I had to cut that section out. If you wiggle the cable at that exit gland then you should be able to get the charger to work briefly. I didn't have the skills to solder new wires onto the circuit board so left a small length and soldered onto that.

Once up and working again I secured the cables to the front with a small cable tie through one of the boxes holes.
Thanks. This charger was for the trolley. I tried it on the van mount battery and it still does the same thing.

The other charger works fine, so I know it’s definitely this charger giving me grief.

Thank you to all of you who have responded. @spruce, I’ll give you idea a go tomorrow ??‍?

That cable gland is rather stiff and isn't very forgiving. I did this after I cut the cable break out.

There is a little extra cable inside where the join is. I've carefully tucked it away inside the charger.

This tying the cable to one of the slots has taken the strain of the cable at the gland.

IMG_20201007_203931648.jpg

That cable gland is rather stiff and isn't very forgiving. I did this after I cut the cable break out.

There is a little extra cable inside where the join is. I've carefully tucked it away inside the charger.

This tying the cable to one of the slots has taken the strain of the cable at the gland.

View attachment 21998
Thanks for the picture, that’s very considerate of you ?

Bl00dy talking shop on a drinking night ?
Very lazy comment. Wednesday isn’t a heavy drinking night, work next day. 
That’s a real reason, unlike ‘oh I was on the forum on a Saturday night because my mate was smoking’. Or ‘oh I was on the forum all Sunday afternoon, but then when to the pub at 4’ ??

I recommend anyone who has one of these chargers should tie that cable with a zip tie like the photo. 

This suggestion came from another forum member and credit to him.

Very lazy comment. Wednesday isn’t a heavy drinking night, work next day. 
That’s a real reason, unlike ‘oh I was on the forum on a Saturday night because my mate was smoking’. Or ‘oh I was on the forum all Sunday afternoon, but then when to the pub at 4’ ??
Still up and ready for work though, early closing is nearly as bad as shutdown. Looks like we're getting lockdown soon because of high numbers of University students getting it ?

Still up and ready for work though, early closing is nearly as bad as shutdown. Looks like we're getting lockdown soon because of high numbers of University students getting it ?
Yeh depressing isn’t it. My mate Paul has built a bar in his garden and we go back to that at 10pm. Not as good, but needs must.

Anyway, are you ok after your accident?

I did mine last night as I noticed some bare wire near the gland, do I get a gold star on my chart for providing a of photo of my work. 

View attachment 22005
Definitely a gold star.

My charger has a different display to yours. Yours has a larger display with different graphics. 

I had the same problem as you describe at the gland. Each time I put the charger away I wrap the cables sounds the casing. That twisting at the gland was the reason for the break.

Thanks to @johnny bravo for the original suggestion to cable tie the charge cable to one of this slots. ?

The same cable break happened on the main cable but I had a spare computer cable so that was an easy fix. 

Definitely a gold star.

My charger has a different display to yours. Yours has a larger display with different graphics. 

I had the same problem as you describe at the gland. Each time I put the charger away I wrap the cables sounds the casing. That twisting at the gland was the reason for the break.
Thanks, I never wrap a cable around anything as I know it causes issues I just put mine on the worktop in the garage, my wife does a head in with wrapping up cables for the laptop's etc. 

Thanks again chaps for the pictures and advice.

Managed to fix mine. I’d extended the cables a long time back so they could reach my van mount battery without me ever having to move the charger or connectors.

I’d forgotten that I’d put connector blocks behind my shelving when I moved things about Wednesday. When I decided to retrace all my wires I found a wire had popped out of said connector ?. What a doughnut ?.

Pub time. Have a great weekend fellow windies ??‍?

Back