Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What 2nd pole should I go for?

Ian Docksey

Hi all. Hope you are all ok and staying safe.

As you are aware I'm going to get started soon. Now my question is. I'm looking at getting 2 poles to hopefully cover most situations.  I'm getting the Gardiner slx 22. Now what length (longer)would you get as your 2nd pole. The 30 or the 35.

As you are aware I'm going to get started soon. Now my question is. I'm looking at getting 2 poles to hopefully cover most situations.  I'm getting the Gardiner slx 22. Now what length (longer)would you get as your 2nd pole. The 30 or the 35.
If it were me, a 35. The 22 is our everyday pole. We have a 30 which is only used a handful of times a year. As often as not a 35 would make the same jobs easier. I would ask yourself though if you really need to go to the expense of a longer pole, at this stage? Do you have the work that will pay for it fairly quickly?

If it were me, a 35. The 22 is our everyday pole. We have a 30 which is only used a handful of times a year. As often as not a 35 would make the same jobs easier. I would ask yourself though if you really need to go to the expense of a longer pole, at this stage? Do you have the work that will pay for it fairly quickly?
Thanks for the reply.  I am going to get while I have the finances to do so. So it's there for as n when needed.  I was thinking just get the 35 it should cover most things .

Thanks for the reply.  I am going to get while I have the finances to do so. So it's there for as n when needed.  I was thinking just get the 35 it should cover most things .
There is wisdom in your plan, Ian. It's obviously doable for you to get a longer pole, and it's definitely good and confidence building to be able to say to customers "Yes, I can do that, I have the equipment to reach it."

Good luck ??

Last edited by a moderator:
There is wisdom in your plan, Ian. It's obviously doable for you to get a longer pole, and it's definitely good and confidence building to be able to say to customers "Yes, I can do that, I have the equipment to reach it."

Good luck ??
Thanks Dave. That's how I am looking at things.whilst I can invest in things I feel I'll need for the future. 

Morning Ian. Hope you're well mate,

I use a 22 foot daily and have a 40ft i don't really have any stupidly high properties to work on.

I can't recommend enough the benefit of a very short pole, my first ever pole I brought was an Unger Unlite One 6 foot. Use that everyday 

If your on a budget I’d just get extensions to go on your slx to whatever height you need. It’s not like you can use two poles at the same time anyway. 

I went for an 18 and a 35 pole and once I got money in I bought a 25. That's the only poles one will need unless you are doing four dancers on old tenements. ?

It depends on what you are likely to end up cleaning I would stick to the 22 and see how it goes then once you have a better idear of height go from there or as others have said buy extensions that will say you money , we have in all our vans 

18 slx or clx x2 

extream 22

slx 25 x2 

extream 35 x2 

ultimate 75 

Theses poles cover everything we do and are likely to do but not a cheap option , the way we work we don’t  have time to be adding sections and using tubeless extensions isn’t viable , but as a sole trader just starting out the extensions route is the cheapest way . 

Yep just been thinking that. So I'd rather get 2 poles to work with incase I do snap 1. 
See I'm also going to get a clx 27 and a Gardiner backpack,  for spraying say ubik 2000 or the likes. As I see it will be easier than keep flushing out my main pole for wfp. Yes I hear about warranty being voided etc on the backback. But can always upgrade pump etc. Yep its probably over the top. But to save cross contamination etc, I feel this is best way to go. 

Don't overlook shorter poles. I've had a CLX-10 for about five years now and use it mainly for bungalows. It can reach some first floor windows as well. Brilliant in tight spaces and nice & light compared to 18 & 22 foot poles.

See I'm also going to get a clx 27 and a Gardiner backpack,  for spraying say ubik 2000 or the likes. As I see it will be easier than keep flushing out my main pole for wfp. Yes I hear about warranty being voided etc on the backback. But can always upgrade pump etc. Yep its probably over the top. But to save cross contamination etc, I feel this is best way to go. 
I just use the same pole and brush for my soapmix as we do for maintenance washes (Chemex Superplus and Fairy Liquid). It flushes out with the scrub and rinse. Never had a problem with using the pure water after. We have a Gardiner backpack that we use solely for the soapmix. We just replaced a Gardiner backpack after six or so years of using soapmix only. The pump got very noisy and the flow had suddenly gone very poor. I reckon after six years stirling service it owed me nothing.

I just use the same pole and brush for my soapmix as we do for maintenance washes (Chemex Superplus and Fairy Liquid). It flushes out with the scrub and rinse. Never had a problem with using the pure water after. We have a Gardiner backpack that we use solely for the soapmix. We just replaced a Gardiner backpack after six or so years of using soapmix only. The pump got very noisy and the flow had suddenly gone very poor. I reckon after six years stirling service it owed me nothing.
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll learn and/or work out my own system that I'll end up happy with.

Yep just been thinking that. So I'd rather get 2 poles to work with incase I do snap 1. 
In over 18 years wfp I have only ever broken extream poles never had any problems with slx etc it’s unlikely unless you do something stupid that you will break one . 

Back