Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best ladder for window cleaning?

ttompk

Looking to get started in window cleaning and I'm getting told that it doesn't necessarily matter what ladder you use as long as you can get to the windows. (which I understand) but I am interested in what ladders you guys use as it's best to hear from the people that actually do it for a living! Feel free to drop links for them as well if you have them. Thank You!

Tom

Best ladders I have used are Ramsey window cleaning point ladders , narrow stiles, flaired bottom so less likely to slip , and one point of contact at the top so can be pitched on frames of corners of walls again far safer a traditional ladder . 

I used a 2 section 11 foot ladder for years, something like this https://www.ladders-999.co.uk/window-cleaners-ladders/enx-professional-alloy-ladders-new-en131-professional-kitemarked.html

You need a Trade one

the B and Q type are too flimsy..

and check spare feet are available as you'll wear them out!
Oh wow that’s interesting, I’ve seen a lot of people recommending the Ramsay ladders. I’ve brought one but I’m struggling to get the hang of it at the moment. Not like most ladders. Never been up a ladder or anything 

Ramsay pointers. Heavy but worth the extra effort.
I’ve brought one but I’m struggling to get the hang of it at the moment. Not like most ladders. Never been up a ladder or anything. can’t quite get the ladder in the corner of the window frame etc, seems so easy on YouTube 

Best ladders I have used are Ramsey window cleaning point ladders , narrow stiles, flaired bottom so less likely to slip , and one point of contact at the top so can be pitched on frames of corners of walls again far safer a traditional ladder . 
Perfect! I’ve  brought one but I’m struggling to get the hang of it at the moment. Not like most ladders. Never been up a ladder or anything. Can’t get it to fit in the frames. Have flared bottoms too and feels unsafe when I go up it but I feel that’s down to it not being in the corners etc, 

Looking to get started in window cleaning and I'm getting told that it doesn't necessarily matter what ladder you use as long as you can get to the windows. (which I understand) but I am interested in what ladders you guys use as it's best to hear from the people that actually do it for a living! Feel free to drop links for them as well if you have them. Thank You!

Tom
Thanks for all your help

It might be worth finding a ladder training course. Ladders can be dangerous if used incorrectly. A training course probably wont cover the ramsey ladder but it will give you a good idea how to use ladders in general. 

Yeah they can be dangerous! I had a couple of falls when I started.

You know the 4-1 rule? the foot of the ladder should be 1 foot out from the wall for each 4' height up the wall approximately.  make sure it's not leaning sideways at all. don't use on slippery surface e.g wet decking. don't reach sideways too far.  thats just the basics.

Oh wow that’s interesting, I’ve seen a lot of people recommending the Ramsay ladders. I’ve brought one but I’m struggling to get the hang of it at the moment. Not like most ladders. Never been up a ladder or anything 

I’ve brought one but I’m struggling to get the hang of it at the moment. Not like most ladders. Never been up a ladder or anything. can’t quite get the ladder in the corner of the window frame etc, seems so easy on YouTube 
It will feel a bit strange initially as you would have the sides of the ladder to the sides of you whilst up it on a normal ladder but as it’s a pointer you haven’t just hold on to the rungs as you climb and then hold the hop ones whilst working , as for pitching the ladder it can be pitched onto the corner of a wall of window reveal or square on like a normal ladder .  Once you are used to it you will love it . 

Check out A E Mackintosh Cleaning Services on YouTube, he has a vid about pointers called 'the best Ladders for traditional window cleaning'. Obviously working off a ladder can be bloody dangerous - it only takes a split second for it to go wrong. Be careful bud.

Tom
Titan sell 3.5m trade ladders for £160 and they are perfect height. You can also buy it without the stabilisation bars. You won't want them.

I’ve always used Titan Ladders but my last two section ladder creaked like mad making a racket. Not good for my early starts waking everyone up. Really annoying as they have always been my ladder of choice. Perfect size, comfy rungs, lightweight and durable. But I’ve had to get rid of them and now using an old youngman ladder of mine. It seems hard to find a good pair nowadays especially without a stabiliser bar. I think my next pair I will source will either be from Chase or Ramsey. I bought an A ladder from Ramsey recently and am very pleased with it and their service.

awesome! do have a link at all? im fed up of my ramsay one i am selling it
What type of Ramsey ladder is it? Have you sold it yet?

Latest Posts

Back