Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

OVA8 25 or phantom Carbon 25?

Neither!!! Although I have no experience with the ova8. The clamps on the phantom are pants. I’m in the process of trying to add the ‘shim’ from the Gardiner clamps to see if that will help. 

8 hours ago, AGlassAct said:
Neither!!! Although I have no experience with the ova8. The clamps on the phantom are pants. I’m in the process of trying to add the ‘shim’ from the Gardiner clamps to see if that will help. 

What is about the phantom clamps that are bad specifically?

not challenging you but would be good to know as almost everyone else on the planet using one has seemed to hype them up no end.

i thought they would have been a great improvement with the rubber inserts and was considering changing them on our poles at refurb time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had no problems with my phantom what so ever. Couldn’t even tell u what the shim is ?

I would like to try the ova8 next specifically for the anti spin , although I think I read u can’t make it tubeless or something ? 

I’ve had no problems with my phantom what so ever. Couldn’t even tell u what the shim is ?

I would like to try the ova8 next specifically for the anti spin , although I think I read u can’t make it tubeless or something ? 
My phantom pole arrived missing parts and had problems from day one very stiff to use the sections nothing to do with the clamps being to tight that was the first thing I checked. This was reported upon delivery and I was asked to use it to see if it got better it snapped within the first week  !! 
and the after-sales was absolutely appalling I will never buy anything from them again  as long as I live absolute joke ?

I have the Phantom Clamps on my Reach-it Tactical and after a year I continue to be totally impressed with them. The trick with these is that they don’t have to be super tight, just enough for the TPU shim to ‘bite’. The lever action is very light and for those used to a tight action, will be possibly disconcerting. Once used to them however ?‍♂️ Stunning... I also have an Ova 8. Love the shape, clamps are excellent (not quite up to the standard of the Phantoms but close)... my every day pole? Almost always grab the Ova8.

I have the Phantom Clamps on my Reach-it Tactical and after a year I continue to be totally impressed with them. The trick with these is that they don’t have to be super tight, just enough for the TPU shim to ‘bite’. The lever action is very light and for those used to a tight action, will be possibly disconcerting. Once used to them however ?‍♂️ Stunning... I also have an Ova 8. Love the shape, clamps are excellent (not quite up to the standard of the Phantoms but close)... my every day pole? Almost always grab the Ova8.
It looks like the Ova 8 pole can't turn like a round pole can? I'm going to buy one to see what the difference is rather than buy another extreme. Will test the two poles out and give my honest verdict on them. ?

What is about the phantom clamps that are bad specifically?

not challenging you but would be good to know as almost everyone else on the planet using one has seemed to hype them up no end.

i thought they would have been a great improvement with the rubber inserts and was considering changing them on our poles at refurb time.
I must have a dodgy pole then!!! My issues with them is they are soo stiff, the clamps don’t have infinite adjustment like the Gardiner ones do - you can only tighten the nut up a half turn which seems to make the lever too hard to close or the pole still spins. I’d considered trying to flatten off the adjustment nut and machining the recess it fits in. But I have a life outside of window cleaning and can’t be bothered faffing about with kit that should work without issue. I was very impressed with the clamps when I first brought it (I got it on the day of release from the window cleaning show) and was one of the ones that raved about the pole and clamps in general. I started to get RSI in my thumb from operating the clamps - changed back to Gardiner and the pain went straight away. 

My phantom pole arrived missing parts and had problems from day one very stiff to use the sections nothing to do with the clamps being to tight that was the first thing I checked. This was reported upon delivery and I was asked to use it to see if it got better it snapped within the first week  !! 
and the after-sales was absolutely appalling I will never buy anything from them again  as long as I live absolute joke ?
To be fair I was pretty ragin it didn’t come with a brush at the price I paid ( hi mod ) 

I had a bad experience when I bought my first electric reel kit from wcw. They sent the wrong size of nuts when I had the whole reel stripped and ready to build it. They then made me ring waterworks to sort it myself 

Would you go for ova 8 or phantom then mate if you wdere me going from a? Slx? Thanks 

Boss bought me an Ova8 17, unfortunately its a bit short but can hit 80% of domestic houses with it. Really surprised with the Ova8, had an ecolite pole before that, the ova8 is comfortable to hold and the the fact it can spin is brilliant, plus you can turn the brush head 90 with a quick release

Would you go for ova 8 or phantom then mate if you wdere me going from a? Slx? Thanks 
I’ve never owned or used an SLX so can’t comment and I retro fitted the clamps to a Reach-it pole so also can’t speak for the Phantom pole itself. The Ova8 is my daily pole. Comfortable to use, simply cannot spin and clamps are light and easy to use ?‍♂️ The question is, why do you want to change from the SLX? 

I’ve never owned or used an SLX so can’t comment and I retro fitted the clamps to a Reach-it pole so also can’t speak for the Phantom pole itself. The Ova8 is my daily pole. Comfortable to use, simply cannot spin and clamps are light and easy to use ?‍♂️ The question is, why do you want to change from the SLX? 
Just found that with. My last 2 slx they seem to have worn very quick. And constantly tightening clamp top. Section. Spinning alreayd and sick of glueing clamps on. Just not. Been happy with last two I've Had. 

Just found that with. My last 2 slx they seem to have worn very quick. And constantly tightening clamp top. Section. Spinning alreayd and sick of glueing clamps on. Just not. Been happy with last two I've Had. 
I can't understand how you have had issues with your SLX.

My SLX22 is 9 years old and my everyday pole. The top section has worn so thin that the carbon is 'soft' in one spot.

Its only had 1 smart clamp upgrade, gets flushed regularly and maintained. I've sprayed the sections with engine lacquer on a few occassions.

The original clamp on the second section came loose once. Since the upgrade I have never had a clamp come unglued. I did that upgrade about 4 years ago.

If you have trouble with an SLX then you are going to have trouble with a Phantom. I can't comment on the Ova8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you carry out regular daily & weekly preventative maintenance on your pole though? 

Clean each section from debris, grit & dirt 

Have insulation tape clamp buffer zones

Apply a PTFE polymer spray on each section 

Re-laquer the pole sections 

Or just hammer the hell out of it daily 

#wfppolelivesmatter 

Do you carry out regular daily & weekly preventative maintenance on your pole though? 

Clean each section from debris, grit & dirt 

Have insulation tape clamp buffer zones

Apply a PTFE polymer spray on each section 

Re-laquer the pole sections 

Or just hammer the hell out of it daily 

#wfppolelivesmatter 
The latter, that's why we like the CLX

I can't understand how you have had issues with your SLX.

My SLX22 is 9 years old and my everyday pole. The top section has worn so thin that the carbon is 'soft' in one spot.

Its only had 1 smart clamp upgrade, gets flushed regularly and maintained. I've sprayed the sections with engine lacquer on a few occassions.

The original clamp on the second section came loose once. Since the upgrade I have never had a clamp come unglued. I did that upgrade about 4 years ago.

If you have trouble with an SLX then you are going to have trouble with a Phantom. I can't comment on the Ova8.
Can't say pal? Look. After it but not daily. I. Do do. A ton of work so. Wheather that's reason but top clamp came unglued not long after having it. Loved them when first started out but last 2 had issues no idea why. 

Can't say pal? Look. After it but not daily. I. Do do. A ton of work so. Wheather that's reason but top clamp came unglued not long after having it. Loved them when first started out but last 2 had issues no idea why. 
Hi Paul

Hope you're keeping well.

You mention that you had had an issue with the top clamp - have you contacted our Customer Service Team about this? I'm sure that we will be able to assist ?

Latest Posts

Back