Bookkeeper or Self assessment / Quick Books

Morning everyone. I know each to there own etc, I have some time off to start looking for new customers, to hopefully take on my as my full time job. Does anyone similar to this use QuickBooks or a book keeper and possibly a reason why. How easy is it too do it yourself Please? Thanks 😀

Weekly spreadsheet

Week 1    takings    expenses

Then a monthly spreadsheet

Month 1    Takings     expenses (inc insurances, monthly bills etc etc)

Takes me 20mins on a sunday, and about 4hrs on 6th April

Easy peasy

2 minutes ago, HWCS said:

Weekly spreadsheet

Week 1    takings    expenses

Then a monthly spreadsheet

Month 1    Takings     expenses (inc insurances, monthly bills etc etc)

Takes me 20mins on a sunday, and about 4hrs on 6th April

Easy peasy

We do similar , my wife does  the weekly lists and running totals and the accountant sorts out the rest . 

11 minutes ago, Suhrly said:

Does anyone here do daily records? Or is weekly/monthly/yearly sufficient?

We have daily work sheets that are then stuck in a diary and weekly and monthly totals are kept on separate records . 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Azz1 said:

Morning everyone. I know each to there own etc, I have some time off to start looking for new customers, to hopefully take on my as my full time job. Does anyone similar to this use QuickBooks or a book keeper and possibly a reason why. How easy is it too do it yourself Please? Thanks 😀

I have an excel spreadsheet I use and enter my weekly figures into and total per month. and a file box with just receipts in it for expenses etc 

All card payments go into my back as they are collected and cash is deposited weekly to avoid loss or unnecessary spending etc.

A separate diary which i duplicate my figures into, everything backed up onto a memory stick also 

6 hours ago, Pjj said:

We have daily work sheets that are then stuck in a diary and weekly and monthly totals are kept on separate records . 

I use pretty much identical sheets to you, thanks for the template 😉😉

• Like 2

I don't see the point of paying for Quickbooks if at some point you will want or need to use something like http://aworka.com a £12 a month to track your rounds this allows you to input full details of all jobs name, address phone number, price, frequency and so on plus it tracks all your income, put in your expenses as well and it automatically produces profit and loss, 

I have had a chartered accountant for years as well as this ensures I am able to offset all my expenses correctly and he put's through things I am not fully aware off or have a full understanding off and ensures I am as tax efficient as possible which matters more so when buying and changing vans.

Edited by Iron Giant