Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What’s my problem?

Clearview Lee

I really feel I should already know the answers to all these problems we have but….

for the last couple of days I’ve had this problem where the water is flowing just fine, then a customer comes out to talk, I disconnect the water, or kink the hose or activate the stop valve, either way, when I get going again the pressure is really poor.  

Are then going to the van pull out the hose connector from the real from which a little bit of smoke (not burning smoke) appears, I then see the water start to flow from the hose connector and I reconnect it to the hose reel and all is fine again. The major problem is that I have to turn the water off every time I go through someone’s garage, so then have to go all the way back to the van just to sort it repeating that same simple process. 

any ideas??

Found the culprit!

Check that pump strainer!! ??

how often do you check/clean yours?

just didn’t seem that long ago I checked mine but I didn’t open it up so with the water in there I may have been blind to the transparent gel build-up!

B0DA6807-A1F9-4F3C-AA3F-9367173C44FC.jpeg

66DFA3C2-784C-48DF-8F3A-94A485A7EA4B.jpeg

538AD0E5-4D61-4DFD-B48F-CEC8B08B1696.jpeg

I haven't used a strainer for years and never had an issue with the actual diaphrams. Used to get the jelly build up with one, causing much frustration.

I’m actually now wondering whether Isopropyl alcohol would prevent this gunk build-up ? 
The reason I asked is I have seen several filters like this and usually it’s when additives have been used , just wondering if flushing the tank with a bleach solution might help if it’s bacteria based growth , I sterilise all my tanks every couple of years or so .  

Precisely my thinking!

Where does the gunk go then?
As I understand it the gunk is the decaying remains of the microscopic creatures that live in water, too small to be stopped by filtration but presumably killed off by the de-ionisation process, they simple pass through the pump and end up getting fired all over the glass, they make no difference to TDS or quality of the clean.

As I understand it the gunk is the decaying remains of the microscopic creatures that live in water, too small to be stopped by filtration but presumably killed off by the de-ionisation process, they simple pass through the pump and end up getting fired all over the glass, they make no difference to TDS or quality of the clean.
Blimey ?Must be a horrific death for the poor blighters ?

I check mime every Sunday and wet vac out an empty tank

7p's ??
7p’s?? 

The reason I asked is I have seen several filters like this and usually it’s when additives have been used , just wondering if flushing the tank with a bleach solution might help if it’s bacteria based growth , I sterilise all my tanks every couple of years or so .  
Interesting. I’ve never ever given it a thought to sterilise the tank before!

what do you use for that? Obviously it’s okay to pass thru the pump...

Interesting. I’ve never ever given it a thought to sterilise the tank before!

what do you use for that? Obviously it’s okay to pass thru the pump...
Add some bleach to the tank fill it up with water leave it for a couple of hours then pump it out re fill the tank and flush it out  again a 1-2%  mix is fine , at that rate and short time it won’t hurt the pumps . 

I would recommend hydrogen peroxide as an additive to the pure water. Very little can go a long way. No smell, just oxidising power.

When I was a dairy technician, we used it to be able to store the whey from cheese making without refrigeration for overnight. So that the next day we could process it and make ricotta (the pH can't be too low). It stops microbial growth and activity. I can't remember clearly but I think it was a few drops in about 50L or so.

Although, you then can't say you're using 100% pure water and hence you aren't eco-friendly ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back