Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water Softener Required.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dabber

Hi

I have a high TDS 326 and a calcium level of 179. I’ve been advised that I might need a Water Softener to protect my membrane. Can anyone advise a suitable softener please.

I have a 4021 system.

Cheers

Dabber

You don’t necessarily need a softener. My TDS is 275-300 and I don’t use one. My membrane is around 6 years old and still doing pretty well. I have used a softener before - it was a salt regenerated resin similar to normal DI resin. You can get them relatively cheap and just need to pass a saline (salt) dose through it every so many litres. If I was to go down that route again I’d opt for a whole house system (they sell them at screwfix). Your house will benefit from it as well as the associated installation and running costs being tax deductible. 

My main concern was the high calcium level. Previous smaller membranes have lasted less than a year and I want to protect the 4021 as best I can.

I hadn’t thought of one to service the whole house, which makes sense.

Hi

I have a high TDS 326 and a calcium level of 179. I’ve been advised that I might need a Water Softener to protect my membrane. Can anyone advise a suitable softener please.

I have a 4021 system.

Cheers

Dabber
How do you measure the calcium level? Our tap tds is the worst in the country, around 530 odd, thats in and around Ipswich. Ive got a 4021 too and now in its 3rd year and still getting 12 to 14 before di so not bad, but I keep expecting it to suddenly get bad. (mind you, not a prolific user compared to most) Maybe theres more to it than just the high tds, Spruce has mentioned about the chlorine level being bad for membranes. Maybe can have a high tds, yet low chlorine level which could help the lifespan?

I bought the 4021 from Daqua. I spoke to Doug who had accessed a water report which showed the calcium in my are to be 179ppm which Doug said was very high.

He is checking with the membrane manufacturer as to whether I would need a softener.

im just waiting for him to confirm .

High calcium levels would appear to reduce the life of the membrane. It might be that your calcium levels are a lot lower.

I bought the 4021 from Daqua. I spoke to Doug who had accessed a water report which showed the calcium in my are to be 179ppm which Doug said was very high.

He is checking with the membrane manufacturer as to whether I would need a softener.

im just waiting for him to confirm .

High calcium levels would appear to reduce the life of the membrane. It might be that your calcium levels are a lot lower.
Hi sorry forgot to get back. Having looked at your water quality report the manufacturer advised a softener should be considered to prolong the life of the membrane.

Calcium levels are different in each water supply but yours is very high.

As you use a lot of water a large water softener would be advisable around 25 litres. You would have to backflush with salt every 3 rd day or so.

I think I discussed with yourself softeners are good but you have to weigh up the running costs which may outweigh the cost of a new membrane.

Hi sorry forgot to get back. Having looked at your water quality report the manufacturer advised a softener should be considered to prolong the life of the membrane.

Calcium levels are different in each water supply but yours is very high.

As you use a lot of water a large water softener would be advisable around 25 litres. You would have to backflush with salt every 3 rd day or so.

I think I discussed with yourself softeners are good but you have to weigh up the running costs which may outweigh the cost of a new membrane.
What’s the running costs Doug I have ionics water softener on my vans don’t  really need it but a  20 kg bag of salt costs around £8 and lasts months , what do you use with your set ups ?.. 

What’s the running costs Doug I have ionics water softener on my vans don’t  really need it but a  20 kg bag of salt costs around £8 and lasts months , what do you use with your set ups ?.. 
I don’t sell water softeners but sell the resin so not aware what the programs are set to. You may be right.

There was someone on here who did a post on how well it improved his output ppm using a softener. If he is still on here would be great to hear his experience.

Thanks Doug, I will give you a call over the next few days just to clarify a few questions that I have.

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Louis

How long have you been using it, has it been long enough to prolong the life of the membrane ?
whats your TDS  and do you know if like me you are in a high calcium area ?
Cheers

Dabber

Hi Dabber, in fairness I've only been using it for about 5 months. I was going through a membrane about once every 7 months, also when the membrane is on the way out it starts to use much more resin. I guess this is more cost effective as salt is so cheap, but its more of an ease thing for me as I just chuck salt in and don't need to worry. We shall see how long my current membrane lasts but its been coming out at 5ppm from the membrane from the day it was installed until today. 

my hardness is 360ppm

Let’s hope that the softener extends the life of the membrane. That’s an impressive rejection rate. Good luck with it all.

Back