Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Freezing pipes etc

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Cris78

Excuse the noob question but this is my first year. I’ve worked outdoor for years so the cold doesn’t bother me but how about the effect on your pipes and water? Are we still able to work on the really cold days when it doesn’t get above 0 or does the water just freeze in the pipes or freeze onto the windows as soon as it touches them? 

Excuse the noob question but this is my first year. I’ve worked outdoor for years so the cold doesn’t bother me but how about the effect on your pipes and water? Are we still able to work on the really cold days when it doesn’t get above 0 or does the water just freeze in the pipes or freeze onto the windows as soon as it touches them? 
You just need to keep going in freezing weather. Don't stop and talk too long like I'm guilty of. In the old days we had brass jets. I've only had them freeze once when I stopped to talk. I just uncoupled the pole from the hose and replaced it with another pole on the van.

When is too cold too cold? Your common sense will tell you when its time to call it a day. I'm old and not so good on my feet as I once was. If I fall, recovery will take longer than the same injury to a younger person. So I will call it a day quicker than most.

We have a few houses with north facing unheated conservatories. We do those in the afternoon when there is less chance of water freezing on the glass. Most homes are heated. I've only had water freeze on the glass of a house once - the boiler had broken and they were awaiting a boiler repair. I had to pump a lot of water on the windows to 'warm' them up. The rinse water froze on the glass but once it melted the windows were fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back