Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

winter

hi , my first winter this year, how do you all prepare for the winter with freezing , raining ( rescheduling work due to rain or bad weather.- do you just delay the work from one day to the next if its raining all day?)

I am gonna get something to cover up my tank in the van.

any help/suggestions appreciated. thanks

has any one got any tips ??????????

a quilt over the tank will help a lot, if it's not left freezing in the back for days or too severe. i just plod on at my pace and get to them when i do, very few will mind especially at this time of year. but if it's a bad frost, get what you can in the house ie pump,hose, water if you carry drums, failing that a van heater in the back

we just work the rounds in order, if we get held up, we just start were we left off when the conditions improve. As for preparation I am trad so cant give you too much advice about WFP preparations for winter.

I carry a shovel in my van which I bought one year we had a lot of snow, it has been lying in the van for a couple of years now, but it has came in very handy the last couple of winters, especially last year. Some people keep snow tyres etc but personally I don't bother too much.

What I have found that can come in handy is to put petroleum jelly on your padlocks and clamps, even a bit on the locks of your van, and it well help stop them freezing, you should be able to get that out of Boots or Tesco.

I carry a few sets of ladder mats, that more often than not, is used when racking ladders on marble floors etc, but I have used them a few times to get the van going again when stuck in snow. Just lay them down like tracks, and you'll be off again.

Another tip is not to leave any wet gear, like applicators in the van over ***ht, or your may find you wake up to an block of ice.

Be prepared yourself for the cold winter days. Make sure you have good gloves that will keeps your hands warm and dry, a good warm jacket, and water proof boots.

To be honest though, and I touch wood when I say this, this winter hasn't been quite as hard to bear than last year, temps went down to -10c here last year, but this year it has been fairly mild. We have really only had one day of snow this year as well. We have had some pretty bad winds and the annual flooding we tent to get around Christmas, but that been it.

This winter had really just been a bit wet and windy here, which there really is't much you can do to prepare for, just make the most of the good weather while its there.

As above, i tend to clean in the rain as much as i can unless it is torrential. windows are not effected so it is how much you can take really. Most customers are not to bothered if your not there bang on time.

When i get new customers i explain that depending on weather, other jobs etc at times we may be a week out they are all fine with it.

cheers for the advice chip... i put that post on ages ago and was suprised i had no comments so thought i would put that other comment on !

since then when it gets cold i store it in a garage over ***ht when cold with heater on and got a few sleeping bags over everythin so its nice and cosy !!

cheers agen

cheers for the advice chip... i put that post on ages ago and was suprised i had no comments so thought i would put that other comment on !

since then when it gets cold i store it in a garage over ***ht when cold with heater on and got a few sleeping bags over everythin so its nice and cosy !!

cheers agen
How did we miss that one way back on August, sorry about that. /emoticons/wink.png

Back