What to pay our sub-contractor to do our extra jobs like pressure washing?

Mr and Mrs window cleaner

On 20/10/2020 at 11:17, CMcB said:

The weather is horrendous today so stuck in the van, think I'm going to throw in my tuppence worth ūüôɬ†

Think the key quote for me from above is pay peanuts, get monkeys. If you want to pay £50-60 and cut corners in terms of employing, its your choice, but as said above there will be little obligation on the "contractor" to do a good job. You could luck out and get someone genuinely out of work who does a good job in the hope it leads to more regular work. But the amount of people around who are willing to work hard for a non living wage I imagine is very small. 

Another option going forward would be to train up and employ for the window cleaning round then your husband could do the add on jobs till there's enough to employ for them instead/as well. 

Investments cost in the short term but the pay off is in the future.

Many thanks for your reply, I appreciate your input. Yes that is a good option. 

On 21/10/2020 at 20:23, Dave B said:

An 8 hr day on minimum wage would be £89.72.. how you will get someone to graft for 60 quid beats me.. I'm in stevenage up the road from you and would pay a lot more than that for a grafter for the day.

Thanks for your input. How much would you be paying for a grafter? 

On 21/10/2020 at 22:29, Part Timer said:

Your options are fairly simple, you can't "sub contract" this work when you supply everything, so you either employ someone or you find a "newbie" that has their own work, equipment and van, and work on a profit margin. Please don't try and find a newbie that's desperate for work and will cut corners to try and justify a low price. With social media you will soon lose your name and reputation by doing so. If it doesn't work just walk away. Creating headaches, by being cheapskates, isn't a good long term business plan.

Thanks a lot for your reply again:)  It sounds like you know what you're doing.  Do you employ people already? What rate are you paying them compared to the average in the area locally?

2 hours ago, Mr and Mrs window cleaner said:

Thanks a lot for your reply again:)  It sounds like you know what you're doing.  Do you employ people already? What rate are you paying them compared to the average in the area locally?

I don't employ, too much hassle for me. I use a local guy when I'm doing gutters in the Cambridge area and pay him £200 a day, which he invoices me for. A day is as long as it takes to do the work I have scheduled, might be 6 hours if gutters are clear and traffic good or 12 hours if a lot travelling involved.

Edited by Part Timer