Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

10 inch di resin cartridge or resin vessell

WCF

Help Support WCF:

D

Deleted member 84

Hey after opinions please.

I have both of the above my problem is water is coming out of the membranes at 10 ppm and I've literally put fresh resin in the 10 inch cartridge  made 700 litres of pure and the after resin numbers have gone up yo 03 ppm already it was well packed with fresh tulson resin.

My water pressure is 90 psi un pumped.

Would I be better running the system on a vessel?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey after opinions please.

I have both of the above my problem is water is coming out of the membranes at 0.10 ppm and I've literally put fresh resin in the 10 inch cartridge  made 700 litres of pure and the after resin numbers have gone up yo 0.03 ppm already it was well packed with fresh tulson resin.

My water pressure is 90 bar un pumped.

Would I be better running the system on a vessel?

Cheers
That's not right. 90 bar will blow the pipes apart.

You need to tell us what your tap water tds is.

Yes, the 10" di vessel is a waste of time, but you need to first sort the rejection rate out of your membranes.

What r/o have you got and how old is it and/or how old are the membranes? What is your pure to waste ratio when running your r/o?

Funnily enough, I tested this out this week but from tap water instead of RO. The slower it goes through the resin the better the resin works, so if I turned the tap on as normal it came out at 10, straight from new resin, but if I turned the flow down, it came out at 0. you do have to make sure the cartridge is packed completely full

I think, but don't know for sure, if done correctly this is a more efficient use of resin than a di vessel. but you will be changing it much more often

Just to check, you mean the water is 90psi, not 90 bar? 

and 0.1ppm is 10ppm? 

Funnily enough, I tested this out this week but from tap water instead of RO. The slower it goes through the resin the better the resin works, so if I turned the tap on as normal it came out at 10, straight from new resin, but if I turned the flow down, it came out at 0. you do have to make sure the cartridge is packed completely full

I think, but don't know for sure, if done correctly this is a more efficient use of resin than a di vessel. but you will be changing it much more often

Just to check, you mean the water is 90psi, not 90 bar? 

and 0.1ppm is 10ppm? 
sorry yes 90 psi. and 10 ppm yes.

tap water in is 245 ppm

sorry yes 90 psi. and 10 ppm yes.

tap water in is 245 ppm
96% rejection rate. Its still passable. 94% rejection rate was the time to start looking a membrane replacement.

A 10" resin container tells me you have a small RoMan type r/o. I expect it has more than one membrane. If it has then I would take pure samples from each membrane after the r/o has run for a bit and compare them.

It could be that one is producing less efficiently but its better to replace all of them at the same time.

Contrary to what someone mentioned above I personally don’t fill a resin cartridge up to the top as if it is packed in too tightly you will get channelling, which is where the water finds a channel through the resin and therefore doesn’t make contact with as much resin. I fill my resin up to 5 litres in a 6 litre vessel.

The reason your TDS has gone up to 3PPM is because a 10” cartridge isn’t man enough for the job. As soon as you’ve made a couple of hundred litres the TDS will shoot up. No one at the company I bought my stuff from told me this when I first bought my first RO so had to quickly upgrade. I think a 10” cartidge holds a mere 0.7 litres lol 

Last edited by a moderator:
@ALPINEYORKS what di cartridge are you using? 
The 10 inch cartridge type..

Membranes are all working fine no issues with them there 2 months old.

Its just I think there's too much pressure coming into the resin and personally I think thats whats causing it to creep high up as the pressure is making gaps in the resin

Contrary to what someone mentioned above I personally don’t fill a resin cartridge up to the top as if it is packed in too tightly you will get channelling, which is where the water finds a channel through the resin and therefore doesn’t make contact with as much resin. I fill my resin up to 5 litres in a 6 litre vessel.

The reason your TDS has gone up to 3PPM is because a 10” cartridge isn’t man enough for the job. As soon as you’ve made a couple of hundred litres the TDS will shoot up. No one at the company I bought my stuff from told me this when I first bought my first RO so had to quickly upgrade. I think a 10” cartidge holds a mere 0.7 litres lol 
Thanks for that mate so you think my resin vessell although it hold more would last longer. I do prefer the vessel I just struggle to open the thing up to change resin

Thanks for that mate so you think my resin vessell although it hold more would last longer. I do prefer the vessel I just struggle to open the thing up to change resin
High flow will kill resin quickly. For example when I use my 6L Unger DI vessel I restrict my input flow by 25% 

The faster and volume of water flowing through resin will reduce its life span.

Depending on needs it's always handy to have an inline valve 

Volume of resin versus input ppm and flow rate is key. So larger vessel I always recommend. 10 inch is just for the likes of fish keeping not window cleaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 10 inch cartridge type..

Membranes are all working fine no issues with them there 2 months old.

Its just I think there's too much pressure coming into the resin and personally I think thats whats causing it to creep high up as the pressure is making gaps in the resin
I don't agree. At 2 months old your 2 month old membranes aren't performing to standard. Either they are cheap Chinese copies or your pure to waste ratio isn't right. With your water pressure, you should be getting a rejection rate of around 98%. What I said earlier could well be true. You could have a poorly producing membrane impacting on the other/others. I would check the pure output of each individual membrane.

If its under performing membranes which is the issue then you can see how quickly the extra cost of resin is going to negate the initial cost savings when buying the membranes.

As for the second point, a 10" di vessel is a waste of time, just as @doug atkinsonsays.

You have 2 problems here: Your di vessel is too small and your rejection rate is too high for new membranes. Sorry to be blunt but you came on here because you have a problem and asked others advice. What you do with that advice is entirely up to you.

I don't agree. At 2 months old your 2 month old membranes aren't performing to standard. Either they are cheap Chinese copies or your pure to waste ratio isn't right. With your water pressure, you should be getting a rejection rate of around 98%. What I said earlier could well be true. You could have a poorly producing membrane impacting on the other/others. I would check the pure output of each individual membrane.

If its under performing membranes which is the issue then you can see how quickly the extra cost of resin is going to negate the initial cost savings when buying the membranes.

As for the second point, a 10" di vessel is a waste of time, just as @doug atkinsonsays.

You have 2 problems here: Your di vessel is too small and your rejection rate is too high for new membranes. Sorry to be blunt but you came on here because you have a problem and asked others advice. What you do with that advice is entirely up to you.
Be has blunt has you want mate. I came on for advice and I've got it im going to set up my resin vessel again so thanks to all of you.

My incoming water is 265 ppm just measured it, I should have got all my information together properly before posting I know.

There usa membranes. Absolutely nothing wrong with them but I appreciate your help.

My problem is ive moved houses and I've just run into a few teething problems after 15 years of my system at another house. The main thing that's causing my grief is the high water pressure if I have the garage tap fully open it reaches 110 psi.

If I’m correct your pressure gauge is reading 90 PSI between filters and membrane. I may be wrong but that is high so check your waste pure ratio as if not set correctly your ppm then increases and damages the membrane. If your membrane works say at 60 psi then set it at that.

Back