Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

TDS meter or change filter

AllGleam

Hi, All hope you are all keeping well and safe I am coming up to probably changing carbon filter, as I'm getting a reading of 002 on one of my TDS meters but 000 on another TDS meter could the system debris filter need cleaning as well? Or is it TDS fault reading wrong.

20201018_122713.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried to send pics of the meters but file to big to send ones a blue one that's reading 002 and the other one is dull cream colour that's reading 000 I did a reading of water from my mains tap blue TDS is at 158 the other is reading 132  a short fall behind. Is it due to expense of meter cost cheaper or change filter?

Silly question, where you bought the tds-3? There are reports of there being a fair few fakes kicking about!!!

If you bought the tds-3 from a reputable supplier I would rely on that and ignore the blue one.

Changing carbon and sediment filters won't change tds! Its the RO membrane and DI that effects the tds. You need to check tds at outlet of ro membrane and if that is above say 10tds you have a membrane issue (never fully close the waste line out of your membrane). If it's below 10 then looks like your resin is all used up.

Silly question, where you bought the tds-3? There are reports of there being a fair few fakes kicking about!!!

If you bought the tds-3 from a reputable supplier I would rely on that and ignore the blue one.

Changing carbon and sediment filters won't change tds! Its the RO membrane and DI that effects the tds. You need to check tds at outlet of ro membrane and if that is above say 10tds you have a membrane issue (never fully close the waste line out of your membrane). If it's below 10 then looks like your resin is all used up.
I got the tds 3 from the supplier of RO 4040 system came with setup the blue was a purchase from Ebay the valve has generally been closed unless flushing membrane out every week 

I got the tds 3 from the supplier of RO 4040 system came with setup the blue was a purchase from Ebay the valve has generally been closed unless flushing membrane out every week 
Also the resin vessel only been used over 4 month period and not as often as still building customer base up 6-8months  depending on usage and some days especially beginning of month and towards end its abit slacker I'm starting to fill schedule gradually 

I had a cheap TDS meter off ebay around 2 years ago. I didn’t realise how inaccurate it was until I purchased a TDS reader from @doug atkinsonfrom Daqua. It’s worth spending a little extra on reliable products. 
There was around 5 or 6 ppm difference between the readers. As i said, the reader from Daqua gave accurate ppm figures. 

Hi, All hope you are all keeping well and safe I am coming up to probably changing carbon filter, as I'm getting a reading of 002 on one of my TDS meters but 000 on another TDS meter could the system debris filter need cleaning as well? Or is it TDS fault reading wrong.

View attachment 22110
Throw them away immediately and buy a calibrated HM digital brand that'll give you 000ppm 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so you know you must always have waste water flowing when making pure. i.e. the ratio of pure to waste on a system will be something like 40% pure to 60% waste!!! Unless your valve has a small hole in it you must never close it fully. If it's closed how will the dissolved solids leave the ro? Flushing should be done before each use but then the valve should allow waste to flow otherwise you will kill your membrane.

If you fail to flush before using then you will be putting higher tds water through your resin and using it up quicker. You say 4 months with not that much use but how big is the vessel?

I would throw the blue one away. If the TDS-3 is a genuine one that is calibrated you will be fine. If not or you are unsure buy one from Doug or Gardiner, they are not expensive.

The best thing to do, like I have been advised is stick with one TDS reader. If it’s a genuine one it should be accurate. (The one on the right in the photo)

it only causes confusion using more than one meter?

Fake meters. If you look at the EBay sellers they will say from UK but then you look at the account details located in China.

Then you see they have registered on Companies House where are suspicious companies are listed. Then they have a VAT number, so are they actually paying VAT or are they claiming it or money laundering.

The digger you deep the more you uncover but people will still purchase as it’s cheep. Even though made in a back street probably under appalling conditions.

Just so you know you must always have waste water flowing when making pure. i.e. the ratio of pure to waste on a system will be something like 40% pure to 60% waste!!! Unless your valve has a small hole in it you must never close it fully. If it's closed how will the dissolved solids leave the ro? Flushing should be done before each use but then the valve should allow waste to flow otherwise you will kill your membrane.

If you fail to flush before using then you will be putting higher tds water through your resin and using it up quicker. You say 4 months with not that much use but how big is the vessel?

I would throw the blue one away. If the TDS-3 is a genuine one that is calibrated you will be fine. If not or you are unsure buy one from Doug or Gardiner, they are not expensive.
I get a fair but of waste water from drainage port and the  valve is closed when this process is happening the vessel is 6.9 litre for 350ltr tank 

I get a fair but of waste water from drainage port and the  valve is closed when this process is happening the vessel is 6.9 litre for 350ltr tank 
I should have the valve open a slight bit to get rid of bigger dissolved solids sorry I relatively new I started June 15th this year I've had no complaints from customers to present day 

The one on the right was supplied from the cleaning warehouse where I got set up from I assume that'll be the more accurate one to use thanks though guys very supportive advice 
If it's this one: https://www.thecleaningwarehouse.co.uk/tds-hand-held-meter-938-p.asp

then they don't actually say it's an HM one! They do say it's factory calibrated: 'Factory Calibrated: our meters are calibrated with a 342 ppm NaCl solution' Problem is if it's a single point calibration it's worthless!! You need at least a 3 point calibration to be accurate across a range.

Last night I flushed membrane system and started purifying my water. when you mentioned not fully closing valve I had it open a slight bit do you close it when it's done or leave it slightly open. When I had the system installed as shown in new pic I dont know if the advice given from the installer was to close it completely when purifying and open fully if flushing membrane. thinking was this a sales tactic so membrane or resin uses up quicker. I have thrown blue TDS as was a Ebay cheapo China based company 

20201019_082144.jpg

Fake meters. If you look at the EBay sellers they will say from UK but then you look at the account details located in China.

Then you see they have registered on Companies House where are suspicious companies are listed. Then they have a VAT number, so are they actually paying VAT or are they claiming it or money laundering.

The digger you deep the more you uncover but people will still purchase as it’s cheep. Even though made in a back street probably under appalling conditions.
Looked into supplier of the blue Ebay and its China when you buy but Leicester when initially viewing product 

Back