Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using Trojan trolley

Eric gorman

hi does anyone have any advice on using Trojan trolley ie is it easy to push around how heavy is it empty 

Last edited by a moderator:
Pure water where do u buy that
Most of us produce our own by the means of expensive and technical filtration. Or you can setup a national account with Spotless Water and use your nearest filling station if you can find one thats local to you. 

Most of us produce our own by the means of expensive and technical filtration. Or you can setup a national account with Spotless Water and use your nearest filling station if you can find one thats local to you. 
Thanks but it has a di cylinder attached to it do u use a Trojan trolley at the moment 

Thanks but it has a di cylinder attached to it do u use a Trojan trolley at the moment 
Firstly a DI vessel will only 'polish' the water if you have very low tds from your tap. First thing you need to know is what your tap water tds is. Buy a TDS meter - not off ebay or amazon but of a decent supplier as there are a lot of fakes!!!

If your tds is below about 50 then you are OK to just DI the tap water to make pure for cleaning windows. If it's above 50 then you will need a RO system to make pure water!

I'm guessing you are aiming to start out as a window cleaner with no previous experience in the trade.

Here's a few key pointers for you.

Tap water quality / purity depending on your regional location differs drastically in what is called parts per million and that level is read using an HM digital TDS meter 

TDS means total dissolved solids 

Depending on where you live that reading can differ from 50 to 500ppm

You'll need to buy a TDS meter from a reputable window cleaning supplier 

?? NOT AMAZON OR EBAY ??

Once you have established your home tap water TDS reading you can start looking at equipment.

This trolley may have a DI vessel built onto it but from experience you'd be wasting your time and money.

DI vessel usage is recommended for a tap water TDS reading of 0-100 ppm

A RO or Reverse osmosis system is used along with a DI vessel to purify water with a TDS reading of 100-500ppm for example.

DI vessels used solely with a high TDS will kill resin within minutes 

25kg of resin on average is £98+VAT 

starting out as a water fed pole window cleaner isn't just buying a trolley filling it with water and squirting it all over the glass.

If you wish to research the trade all the relevant information is provided within the forum threads 

No I don't buy equipment. I build my own systems. My trolley is so much better 

I'm guess you are aiming to start out as a window cleaner with no previous experience in the trade.

Here's a few key pointers for you.

Tap water quality / purity depending on your regional location differs drastically in what is called parts per million and that level is read using an HM digital TDS meter 

TDS means total dissolved solids 

Depending on where you live that reading can differ from 50 to 500ppm

You'll need to buy a TDS meter from a reputable window cleaning supplier 

?? NOT AMAZON OR EBAY ??

Once you have established your home tap water TDS reading you can start looking at equipment.

This trolley may have a DI vessel built onto it but from experience you'd be wasting your time and money.

DI vessel usage is recommended for a tap water TDS reading of 0-100 ppm

A RO or Reverse osmosis system is used along with a DI vessel to purify water with a TDS reading of 100-500ppm for example.

DI vessels used solely with a high TDS will kill resin within minutes 

25kg of resin on average is £98+VAT 

starting out as a water fed pole window cleaner isn't just buying a trolley filling it with water and squirting it all over the glass.

If you wish to research the trade all the relevant information is provided within the forum threads 

No I don't buy equipment. I build my own systems. My trolley is so much better 
Hi I’ve had window cleaning biz 43 yrs our water reading is 44 out of 100 I was asking people who use Trojan trolley for pros and cons all wfs in Scotland use resin and it’s not £98 plus vat I was divided between Trojan trolley or streamline systems or van systems 

Hi I’ve had window cleaning biz 43 yrs our water reading is 44 out of 100 I was asking people who use Trojan trolley for pros and cons all wfs in Scotland use resin and it’s not £98 plus vat I was divided between Trojan trolley or streamline systems or van systems 
If you'd clearly outlined the fact you were in Scotland and your tds was low we would of replied with a simplified answer.

Without offence, we see a lot of newbies with the similar questions.

My resin price was a marginal average.

It's not a good idea having a DI trolley system. It's a very American style.

You'd be better off building a large scale filtration system at home with an IBC in my opinion 

Firstly a DI vessel will only 'polish' the water if you have very low tds from your tap. First thing you need to know is what your tap water tds is. Buy a TDS meter - not off ebay or amazon but of a decent supplier as there are a lot of fakes!!!

If your tds is below about 50 then you are OK to just DI the tap water to make pure for cleaning windows. If it's above 50 then you will need a RO system to make pure water!
It’s 44 in our area 

hi does anyone have any advice on using Trojan trolley ie is it easy to push around how heavy is it empty 
Is this the one you mean?

https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/products/facelift-trojan-trolley

If so, I think your main difficulty will be getting this in & out of your van - I think you'll need a ramp. Also trying to get this trolley around parked cars, wheelie bins, up & down steps is going to be a nightmare TBH. If you're going to be using a trolley for domestics I would suggest a Gardiner backpack & sack truck or a Pure Freedom 25L trolley.

I was divided between Trojan trolley or streamline systems or van systems 
I would definitely suggest you go for a van system - believe me it'll be much easier on your body and also you'll get round more quickly and efficiently meaning more £££. Just as an example - when I moved from using a Pure Freedom trolley and 25L barrels to a DIY van mount I immediately became 33% more efficient. 

Your ppm of 44 is similar to mine - I would suggest you go for double-DI in order to save on resin:

I am guessing you are in your 60's a trolley isn't a viable option as it will be lot of lifting and pulling and you will end up with injuries struggling on with the trolley as it will weigh over 20kg no doubt when empty never mind one it has water in,

You would be far better off with a van mount system http://daqua.co.uk is in Scotland so you could travel to Doug and have a system fitted otherwise you will be travelling 100's of miles to have a system fitted.

I think the Trojan is about 70kg when its full of water. You are better of with something a lot lighter. Heavy trolleys are not that easy to move about. Ideally if you have one just keep it in your van and run a hose..

Also in Scotland, I picked a Trojan trolley up second hand with a pole in Spring 2019 for under £500.
This was my way into WFP at relatively low cost and it served its purpose using it for 12 months fairly successfully (as its all I knew at the time!)

If you have the funds and knowledge how to set up a diy tank system in the van I’d recommend just going straight for that, so much quicker and easier!

Negatives :

-I found the onboard DI vessel constantly catching on kerbs and steps which led to fittings needing replaced regularly 

-extremely heavy to lift into van when any more than half full (fine if you can top up at custys tap)

-maybe it was my pump but I found it pretty weak compared to my new one on van setup 

Positives :

-quick entry into WFP and lets you understand how to transfer that setup into a proper van mount system

-great if you don’t have much work to start off as it can be out the van in seconds when empty 

In summary I wouldn’t buy one at full price (£1k including DI last time I looked) I’d set yourself up DIY for a little more than that and life will be easier!

I still have mine as a back up and found it easier to use filling up with pure from the van and not having the DI vessel slowing you down.

Maybe I’ll use it for softwashing one day or perhaps sell it.

Thanks dyson 123 just as I thought all the problems u said Iam using it as van mount system and taking  it out as required work in streets that have 50-100 houses close to each other so it works fine I have 3 guys who can’t drive so they need Moble system I found the 45 ltr xline trolley with di vessel I think I will try one to c if it’s good enough for our work I probably will build van mount myself as my friend has it can be done for well under 500 but I do need portable so Trojan is ideal as both yes it is heavy full thanks for reply I have seen a few Gus using it they say it was good 

Back