Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Perfect brush combo?

matt1458

I’ve been using my super lite 26 DuPont  since I got going for pretty much everything (well not pretty much, it’s the only one I’ve got!).

Planning to add to the arsenal this week,  been looking at the Gardiner brush guide and got confused so I thought I’d ask what your ideal combo would be?

For my stuff so far:

90% uPvc, 10% painted frames, nothing leaded thus far, mix of average sized residential with the odd dirty great commercial thrown in, some of which have quite a bit of glass so not adverse to one wider brush to speed things up for these.. quite a few residential first cleans as we’re still probably around 40% new jobs coming in vs existing stuff coming back round.

Any recommendations from those that have been there done this?! Don’t mind carrying a few different options as long as I’m not just buying slightly different versions to do the exact same thing!

I’ve been using my super lite 26 DuPont  since I got going for pretty much everything (well not pretty much, it’s the only one I’ve got!).

Planning to add to the arsenal this week,  been looking at the Gardiner brush guide and got confused so I thought I’d ask what your ideal combo would be?

For my stuff so far:

90% uPvc, 10% painted frames, nothing leaded thus far, mix of average sized residential with the odd dirty great commercial thrown in, some of which have quite a bit of glass so not adverse to one wider brush to speed things up for these.. quite a few residential first cleans as we’re still probably around 40% new jobs coming in vs existing stuff coming back round.

Any recommendations from those that have been there done this?! Don’t mind carrying a few different options as long as I’m not just buying slightly different versions to do the exact same thing!
I actually swear by my first ever brush I purchased which is the very standard yet reliable Unger HiFLo Nlite radius brush. 

A great allrounder with fantastic scrubbing power with its two types of bristles. Stiffer outter green and inner softer grey bristles. Great for windows sills gutters F&S 

I actually swear by my first ever brush I purchased which is the very standard yet reliable Unger HiFLo Nlite radius brush. 

A great allrounder with fantastic scrubbing power with its two types of bristles. Stiffer outter green and inner softer grey bristles. Great for windows sills gutters F&S 
There really are some far better brushes. I appreciate you're a self build / bargain hunter but you're cleaning windows with a 10yr old brick.

Gardiner Super lite medium mix is the best dirty first clean (and pretty good fascia & gutter brush) I’ve used. Well worth having one imo.

Its worth owning a flocked brush as well when you eventually get leaded jobs. I recommend the supreme flocked taper-tec, or ultimate flocked. I have both. Great brushes. The supreme is also very good with fascia & gutter cleans. 

There really are some far better brushes. I appreciate you're a self build / bargain hunter but you're cleaning windows with a 10yr old brick.
No I'm not a bargain hunter and nor am I a tight ****, everything you have is so much better isn't it? Mr F#@king negative. Always have some downer to add to a post. I can buy anything I want but value what I have and how it works..

I'm done with this forum. Is seriously F@#king with my ptsd.

No I'm not a bargain hunter and nor am I a tight ****, everything you have is so much better isn't it? Mr F#@king negative. Always have some downer to add to a post. I can buy anything I want but value what I have and how it works..

Ah c’mon mate, it’s just opinions. I’m 100% sure PT wouldn’t mean to upset you/anyone with just a casual conversation over brush heads. Get some sleep and come back on here tomorrow ?

Wow, apologies if my comments have offended you. If my genuine input offends you this much then you're probably better off not posting on internet sites. 

I also used to swear by the unger sill brush but couldn’t believe how big and clumsy it was until I tried others. Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in your own way of working that’s it’s hard to see if anything else is going to be better. For me now it’s gardiners supreme for windows, gardeners standard sill for fsg’s as it covers a lot of ground with its large radius and gets under the gutters, inbetween the fascias like no other brush I’ve tried and finally I use gardeners stiff universal sill for conny roofs as the blue side bristles are great for scrubbing off stubborn lichen and getting moss out of the seals. A bit of a gardiners fest but I’ve tried alot of brushes over the years and their extensive range cover pretty much everything although I was a little dissapointed with their last extreme sill brush. 

Please except my sincere apologies for my comment.

I feel ashamed and didn't intend to go against the ethos of the forum.

Living with mental health is so tough and I'm constantly fighting it.

So so sorry guys 

I also used to swear by the unger sill brush but couldn’t believe how big and clumsy it was until I tried others. Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in your own way of working that’s it’s hard to see if anything else is going to be better. For me now it’s gardiners supreme for windows, gardeners standard sill for fsg’s as it covers a lot of ground with its large radius and gets under the gutters, inbetween the fascias like no other brush I’ve tried and finally I use gardeners stiff universal sill for conny roofs as the blue side bristles are great for scrubbing off stubborn lichen and getting moss out of the seals. A bit of a gardiners fest but I’ve tried alot of brushes over the years and their extensive range cover pretty much everything although I was a little dissapointed with their last extreme sill brush. 
 It's funny the different tastes in equipment we have in the trade. I get on really well with the Extreme Sill Brush, though I don't know for sure that it's the current one. I had my doubts when I first tried it, probably about two years ago. It's quite sparse on bristles in comparison to the Medium Mixed Sill Brush type I had been using for about four years. I didn't expect the Extreme to last long but I can't get the end of them. Even with water heated to 65c in the tank. It's my everyday maintenance wash brush as it just glides across the plastic and glass, super fast taking the dirt with it. My son still uses the medium mixed sill brush for all his work. I still use the MMSB for rough work like gfs. If I could change anything about the Extreme Sill Brush I'd like it to have stiffer, stronger bristles round the edges for removing spider nests and stuff.

Like a lot of people I guess, I started out with heavy bendy, fibreglass poles and heavy Vikan brushes. For those that have not had the pleasure ; think of a pole that weighs a ton and which has a demented monkey on the top which refuses to go anywhere near the upstairs windows you want it to without putting up a darn good fight. ?

Love my super lite du pont medium brush as it's bristles don't wear out but best brush I used is probably ultimate medium mix 

We use hot water and stiff supreame  brushes on leaded not ideal perhaps but never had any problems but dont scrub like mad just go a bit easy . 

Please except my sincere apologies for my comment.

I feel ashamed and didn't intend to go against the ethos of the forum.

Living with mental health is so tough and I'm constantly fighting it.

So so sorry guys 
We all have bad days , hopefully you are feeling a bit better today ?

Latest Posts

Back