Gutter Cleaning - Vac and Generator Recommendations, along with Trad Tools

222wrighty

Yes mate, it’s our first Vac. All in all id give it 4/5. It weighs next to nothing, very easy to load/unload,maneuver.
The down sides are that the motor could be more powerful. If youve got gutters that are thick with solid mud and big grass tufts it wont lift easily, takes a lot of digging & loosening with the dirt breaker tool, and sometimes we still need the ladders. It’s fine for moss and general mud/****, better results after its been raining as everything is loose. The filter must be washed out and dried out frequently. As a first vac its great and has got us through 90% of gutter jobs a hell of a lot quicker. I want a 3000 watt vac next, for the extra lift. But ive heard instances of circuits tripping out so i may not use all 3 motors unless essential and just run with two

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

• 2 years later...
On 15/02/2018 at 17:43, 222wrighty said:

Just wanted to know if anyone had one of the sky atom vac it’s only 1600watts wanted to know if any good

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

They are brilliant. Not to big. Great for 2 storey or three story houses. Great for Conservatory/long extensions which u wouldn't be able to get to easily . Now u can. Just watch out for the gap between the roof tiles and the gutter. Some roofers don't leave enough gap to get the normal pole attachment into them to clean then. Sky vac gives you alot of options for that scenario like a thinner attachment but because of its thinner gap to suck . Leaves ect get stuck. So keep the gap inbetween the tiles and the gutter in mind when your pricing it up as it'll take u longer to do the job. Wet up dry leaves in the gutter first if u can. It doesn't like dry leaves. U get there in the end but it take alot longer. But all in all its the best bit of kit I've bought. And no more ladders .  

Edited by Isaac6172
Just checking
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...

I've got a 1500w wet and dry sitting in the garage. I was going to buy a sky vac atom but wondered instead can I just use the wet and dry? If so does anyone where where I can get the poles from and how would it attach to the vac? thanks

You can use a wet and dry vac and poles and connectors are available here: https://www.guttervacuumsystems.co.uk/product/gvs-light-weight-51mm-aerospace-aluminium-gutter-vacuum-pole-set/

I have a Numatic Henry type cleaner (it's actually the one with the extra pump in to clean carpets) that only has a 1060 watt motor in. I recently used that to clean out my gutters at home. It worked well with a few issues. First off we have a bungalow and I was using a small scaffold tower so gutters were at shoulder level so no poles needed. While if picked up all the moss and mess it did fill up quite quick. The other problem was the corrugated hose trapped the wet soil so got heavier and more blocked as I progressed. I had to clean it out with a hose a couple of times.

Gutter Vac systems do a smallish 1300watt 'domestic' gutter vac that has a largish tank and a 51mm cyclone inlet that will provide more suction for the wattage and will be less likely to block up. It's about £300 or you can get it as a kit with poles so it's not too expensive really. 

21 minutes ago, Cris78 said:

I've got a 1500w wet and dry sitting in the garage. I was going to buy a sky vac atom but wondered instead can I just use the wet and dry? If so does anyone where where I can get the poles from and how would it attach to the vac? thanks

The wattage may not be sufficient to draw from height and also the vacs inlet will clog.

I'm guessing your wet vac has started cheap black ribbed 32mm hose which will also crush under vacuum load.

You can buy poles anywhere by searching for gutter vacuum poles.

You can make poles from 32mm, 50mm black pvc waste and drainage pipe if you are desperate but you'd only be wasting money like many others have done before you in trying.

Have a look on ebay Facebook marketplace for an older higher powered numatic twin motor machine or search through the forums sale threads for used equipment is my best advice 

• 3 weeks later...
Master Jedi Alejandro

Hello lads,

I hope all is well. Looking to invest in a gutter vac. Its that time of year and customers are asking for there gutters to be done. But also looking for traditional tools that we should carry incase we need to get the ladder up.

I'm looking at buying a Ionics Vortex Piccolo. From what I can tell its a just a rebrand Skyvac Atom, though I can get it slightly cheaper from Ionics. Has anyone used one of these? Would go for 10.5m of pipe just so we can if we need it.

Second is the generator. Was thinking if the gutter work goes well we may end up investing in a more powerful vac, so will probably buy a generator now to suit if required. Anyone got any particular recommendations?

http://www.ionicsystems.com/uk/product/vortex-gutter-vacuum-kit-entry-level/

Have you looked at Gutter Vac systems? Reason being is that they do a similar small vac but it has a cyclone inlet and 51mm pipes! Very similar money - just a few quid in it 1.2mm ali poles at 35ft long. Couldn't work out the ionics poles but as they are not saying carbon I guess ali or maybe plastic?

So if in future you decide to get a bigger vac then the poles etc will fit!!! 

I think that’s the same one gutter sucker sell as the ‘gutter sucker junior’ that comes with carbon fibre poles.

https://guttersuckerdirect.co.uk/product/gutter-sucker-junior/

I have the same one. Although, it looks like they’ve given it a facelift based on that link. I upgraded it recently with a cyclonic side inlet and 51mm hose and I think it’s a great little machine. Light weight and small enough to take through peoples houses or lift up whilst you navigate through side entrances littered with bikes, bins etc. I now use it for all my gutter clearances. 

• Like 1
Master Jedi Alejandro
1 hour ago, ched999uk said:

Have you looked at Gutter Vac systems? Reason being is that they do a similar small vac but it has a cyclone inlet and 51mm pipes! Very similar money - just a few quid in it 1.2mm ali poles at 35ft long. Couldn't work out the ionics poles but as they are not saying carbon I guess ali or maybe plastic?

So if in future you decide to get a bigger vac then the poles etc will fit!!! 

Hey mate,

Is this who you are talking about?

https://www.guttervacuumsystems.co.uk/product-category/gutter-vacuum-systems/1300-watt-gutter-vacuum-systems/

I'll email Ionics regarding the poles to find out before I order. 

40 minutes ago, ksp said:

I think that’s the same one gutter sucker sell as the ‘gutter sucker junior’ that comes with carbon fibre poles.

https://guttersuckerdirect.co.uk/product/gutter-sucker-junior/

I have the same one. Although, it looks like they’ve given it a facelift based on that link. I upgraded it recently with a cyclonic side inlet and 51mm hose and I think it’s a great little machine. Light weight and small enough to take through peoples houses or lift up whilst you navigate through side entrances littered with bikes, bins etc. I now use it for all my gutter clearances. 

Thanks mate. This one looks a bit cheaper also. 

Both you and @ched999uk spoke of these cyclone inlets and 51mm hose. Whats the difference/benefits and how do I tell if a vac has them? Sorry, completely new to gutter vacs!

Yes that's the one.

The cyclone inlet is an inlet that enables the flow to be more inline with the suction of the motor so it gives more suck.

Not on the small one but Gutter Vac systems large 3Kw vac they do a kit to convert to cyclone and get impressive results here: 

Squeeky Clean Dave also did a review on the smaller one you linked to:

51mm pipes allow bigger stuff to be sucked down without blocking.

Edited by ched999uk
  • Thanks 1
Master Jedi Alejandro
4 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

Yes that's the one.

The cyclone inlet is an inlet that enables the flow to be more inline with the suction of the motor so it gives more suck.

Not on the small one but Gutter Vac systems large 3Kw vac they do a kit to convert to cyclone and get impressive results here: 

Squeeky Clean Dave also did a review on the smaller one you linked to:

51mm pipes allow bigger stuff to be sucked down without blocking.

Thanks mate, I'll watch those videos in a bit.

Any particular poles you recommend, heard they can make a big difference? That gutter vac can be brought by itself, you see, and I can source poles elsewhere if there are particular ones that are liked.

Just reading that a few people have SkyVac carbon poles that are folding when used over connys!! 

I don't have any personal experience of the poles yet as not started yet just been looking.

My only experience so far with gutter cleaning was my own using a wet and dry Henry off a little scaffold tower as we have a bungalow. It worked but needed flushing out a few times as the wet gunk stuck to the flexi hose! I could feel it getting heavier and heavier 🙂 

scottish cleaning service

You need a vac with a 51mm inlet or it just blocks all the time. I bought a maxblaster for £200 and fitted a Spinaclean 51mm side inlet which cost £70. Throw in a 51mm hose and pair of cuffs at £150 and you end up with a vac like the Industrial one but not as powerful. So for £400 its a no brainer. 😉

10 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

Just reading that a few people have SkyVac carbon poles that are folding when used over connys!!

I have the Elite poles and apart from their quick release pole being somewhat dodgy, in my experience, I've never had a problem with their poles. If they're folding then they probably had hairline cracks in them.

4 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

I have the Elite poles and apart from their quick release pole being somewhat dodgy, in my experience, I've never had a problem with their poles. If they're folding then they probably had hairline cracks in them.

Sounds to me like it’s abuse by staff , the guy has posted about this in the other forum like you we clean thousands of meters of gutters every year and haven’t had any problems with them at all , I do treat the vac release pole with respect and always lower the pole holding it above the vac release port ,after you said to me what happened to yours .

• Like 2
Master Jedi Alejandro

So lads, @Pjj, @Part Timer Who would you recommend, for both vacs and the poles? We wanna do this right so we can enjoy it as something different, rather than just doing it to keep customers happy 😄

8 minutes ago, Master Jedi Alejandro said:

So lads, @Pjj, @Part Timer Who would you recommend, for both vacs and the poles? We wanna do this right so we can enjoy it as something different, rather than just doing it to keep customers happy 😄

I've got a lot of gutter work, in excess of £15k a year so Sky Industrial and Elite Poles is what I went for. @THL4KEL has done a lot of research on this and his advice is probably far better then mine.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Master Jedi Alejandro said:

We have a skyvac interceptor and a Grippatank mains powered vac , but I di like the look of the GVS vacs and if I was in the market fir a mains power one or running one off a genie I would certainly give them  a very close look they appear good value for  money they are considerably cheaper than there rivals .

As fir poles we have the skyvac elite poles they are very nice but think they could be a bit delicate if bashed around . 

Before I had the skyvac poles I had poles from carbon fibre tubes they are taper fit but excellent poles had them over 10 years and they did some serious work, I sold my old set up to a guy on hear  and they are still going strong they are 100% carbon and stiffer than the skyvac poles , any questions just ask 

• Thanks 1
Master Jedi Alejandro
12 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

I've got a lot of gutter work, in excess of £15k a year so Sky Industrial and Elite Poles is what I went for. @THL4KEL has done a lot of research on this and his advice is probably far better then mine.

Thanks, hopefully @THL4KEL sees this and can advice! I'll look at the Elite Poles but they seem out of budget for now. If it takes off, though, I'll invest in them. Want to see how the gutter work goes first of all.

12 minutes ago, Pjj said:

We have a skyvac interceptor and a Grippatank mains powered vac , but I di like the look of the GVS vacs and if I was in the market fir a mains power one or running one off a genie I would certainly give them  a very close look they appear good value for  money they are considerably cheaper than there rivals .

As fir poles we have the skyvac elite poles they are very nice but think they could be a bit delicate if bashed around . 

Before I had the skyvac poles I had poles from carbon fibre tubes they are taper fit but excellent poles had them over 10 years and they did some serious work, I sold my old set up to a guy on hear  and they are still going strong they are 100% carbon and stiffer than the skyvac poles , any questions just ask 

Thanks mate. GVS seems to be the way to go. Can I ask, the Genie you speak of, do you know the full name for it or have a link? I'll need to get a generator too, you see, so recommendations help!