Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie - just cleaned my first windows!

Sierra

After a month of reading forum posts thought I'd sign up and say thanks for so much great content on here!

I'm 99% certain to lose my job shortly and decided I'd like to start cleaning windows... and even if I don't lose my job, I really can't stick what I'm doing any longer anyway.

I'm not in a position to start straight away but I managed to pick up some bargain trad gear to have a go... not as easy as the pros make it look, but I'm not short on time for practicing!

I have absolutely no cash for a van and WFP system but I think a Gardiner backpack, sack barrow, a CLX 22 and regular trips to Spotless Water might be on the cards, as that lot's not much dearer than a roof rack for my car and a decent ladder ?

Need to figure out how to stop getting squeegee lines at 45 degrees to window corners and then I could at least do some bungalows... (The pic isn't a paid job, it's my partner's place!)

Anyway, nice to meet you all ?

20201020_162527.jpg

Good luck! As far as squeegy work goes YouTube is your friend, I would suggest Polzn Bladz & Trad Man are the best/most skilled.

Looks like you've done your research and have a good plan! If you can afford it go for an SLX-22 (your body will thank you for it).

Good luck! 

Where about's are you, do you actually live in Cambridge or one of the many villages around it. Your nearest Spotless is Stevenage, I think, and that's a long old drive.
I live some of the time in Suffolk, between Bury and Stowmarket, but most of the time I'm at my partner's place in Cambridge... Spotless were supposedly opening up in Bury "within weeks", but now it's "at some point in the future"... I think TR Cleaning in Cambridge do sell pure water though. Typically I live in an upstairs flat although my partner is happy for me to install an RO system at hers when I can afford it!

Good luck! As far as squeegy work goes YouTube is your friend, I would suggest Polzn Bladz & Trad Man are the best/most skilled.
That's how I'm spending my evenings at the moment... and possibly how I've been brainwashed into starting with a load of Moerman gear!

Looks like you've done your research and have a good plan! If you can afford it go for an SLX-22 (your body will thank you for it).

Good luck! 
I'm terrified of shelling out for an SLX until I've got some work - I've got a mate who runs a window cleaning firm though, might see if I can borrow a pole from him for a bit to save spending on a CLX then wanting to upgrade. Haven't done a physical job for a few years so I suspect chiropractor fees might outweigh the initial saving from buying a CLX! ?

I live some of the time in Suffolk, between Bury and Stowmarket, but most of the time I'm at my partner's place in Cambridge... Spotless were supposedly opening up in Bury "within weeks", but now it's "at some point in the future"... I think TR Cleaning in Cambridge do sell pure water though. Typically I live in an upstairs flat although my partner is happy for me to install an RO system at hers when I can afford it!
I joined them a few years ago because they were opening one "soon" in Cambridge, still waiting. I clean a fair few flats in Cambridge for a PM Company down there. Doing 3 large blocks in Pinehurst next month.

That's how I'm spending my evenings at the moment... and possibly how I've been brainwashed into starting with a load of Moerman gear!

I'm terrified of shelling out for an SLX until I've got some work - I've got a mate who runs a window cleaning firm though, might see if I can borrow a pole from him for a bit to save spending on a CLX then wanting to upgrade. Haven't done a physical job for a few years so I suspect chiropractor fees might outweigh the initial saving from buying a CLX! ?
I wish the Moerman gear had been around back in the day when I was trad, having said that I didn't have the knowledge back then.

An SL-X is a sound investment, looked after it will last years.

Back