Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Quoting New Jobs

MrAdam

Ive been going a little over a year now and was wondering how people find it best to quote jobs? I mainly give them an estimate from the information they've provided, Google maps and a quick drive past if possible. If the job is a larger property I tend to quote in person, however the last couple of quotes in person have been to have been a complete waste of my time. I quoted £36 bi monthly for a large 5 bed with 10 meters glass balcony sides and she said the last guy did it all for £12, reflecting back I think I should of even charged more. Luckily I didn't get the job as clearly 30 odd quit is far to much for someone with a £600,000+ house.

Whats the best way to avoid time wasters or is it just something I'm going to have to get used to? Does anyone provide quotes off pictures the customers have sent, rather than going in person?

Thanks in advance. 

Ive been going a little over a year now and was wondering how people find it best to quote jobs? I mainly give them an estimate from the information they've provided, Google maps and a quick drive past if possible. If the job is a larger property I tend to quote in person, however the last couple of quotes in person have been to have been a complete waste of my time. I quoted £36 bi monthly for a large 5 bed with 10 meters glass balcony sides and she said the last guy did it all for £12, reflecting back I think I should of even charged more. Luckily I didn't get the job as clearly 30 odd quit is far to much for someone with a £600,000+ house.

Whats the best way to avoid time wasters or is it just something I'm going to have to get used to? Does anyone provide quotes off pictures the customers have sent, rather than going in person?

Thanks in advance. 
Lol I have priced up a 2:5 million pound property last week at £125 monthly and the guy nearly had a heart attack ???? just price stuff as it should be if they accept it fine if not move on , we do a lot of ex council houses and earn more on them than some of our more expensive houses that can be 1-10 million pounds  plus , not all big property’s are worth doing . 

The easiest option is either via my Facebook business page or WhatsApp I ask them to send me photos of each side of their house with windows then I can quote them asap, I have used this method for over 3 years now and quoted 100's of houses this way it's worked just fine without any issues, if it's a larger property or an older custy then I will go to the house to price up. 

Lol I have priced up a 2:5 million pound property last week at £125 monthly and the guy nearly had a heart attack ???? just price stuff as it should be if they accept it fine if not move on , we do a lot of ex council houses and earn more on them than some of our more expensive houses that can be 1-10 million pounds  plus , not all big property’s are worth doing . 
Agreed, I find the smaller properties can be more profitable.  The trick is to group them in a compact area, which I understand you don't have a problem with!

I ask them to send me photos of each side of their house with windows then I can quote them asap, I have used this method for over 3 years now and quoted 100's of houses this way it's worked just fine without any issues, 

This is the way I also do it, makes it simple to quote. It also makes the client feel involved in the experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks in advance. 
Good evening, 

The only way I quote is face to face and in person, a good look at the property it's scale and overall footprint.

It's so easy for a potential customer to call you or comment on Facebook that they want a window cleaner and you jump in with a random price and they accept  

You turn up on site and it's a 3 story town house and you've just lost £30 for example

I know a few guys that google street view for quotes but customer service and meeting someone is the best way i know.

It's time consuming but making time to visit will ensure you are not under quoting 

It's incredible how some potential customers manage to under-count their windows.

Always better to quote in person since you can get a feel for the customer (you can often work out who's going to be a problem on the first meeting) and also you can establish access problems, pots, garden gnomes, solar lights etc... and price accordingly.

I will give them an indicative price, usually a min / max price, but need to view to confirm. If they agree then I know they will at least pay the minimum and if it's a bad job then I quote the maximum. 2 things why I don't like photos, not knocking those that do, firstly been on loads of holidays where the photos looked great but reality was somewhat different. Secondly pictures of windows don't tell me about access, condition of gardens, customers attitude etc etc.  

I will give them an indicative price, usually a min / max price, but need to view to confirm. If they agree then I know they will at least pay the minimum and if it's a bad job then I quote the maximum. 2 things why I don't like photos, not knocking those that do, firstly been on loads of holidays where the photos looked great but reality was somewhat different. Secondly pictures of windows don't tell me about access, condition of gardens, customers attitude etc etc.  
All my newly gained jobs which are priced with photos is on new build estates and some forgot the side windows but i know instantly and ask about side windows and doors as some do vary a little or on much older estates where I am well established that I know very well, there is a little affluent village that I cover and these always require a house visit because they vary massively

i only take on work in the areas i work so its no problem popping round to give them a quote and get a feel of the property as ill be working nearby anyway.....this is why it pays to concentrate your work in one area if possible.....

Latest Posts

Back