Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Walking window cleaner

Kieron wiltshire

I have just started up! I walk or ride my bike with the ladder either on my shoulder or strapped on the bike.

bucket on the handle bars and all the kit in my back pack.

after being told i wouldn’t be able to do it and tbh being laughed at and made to feel **** about it I have 23 customers already in a space of a month all very decent priced obviously they need to be cuz it’s a lot harder for me to get around. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this or if anyone has any advice for me 

cheers

I have just started up! I walk or ride my bike with the ladder either on my shoulder or strapped on the bike.

after being told i wouldn’t be able to do it and tbh being laughed at and made to feel **** about it I have 23 customers already in a space of a month all very decent priced obviously they need to be cuz it’s a lot harder for me to get around. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this or if anyone has any advice for me 

cheers
Like I tell my kids, anyone can achieve anything and the only people that will stop the is themselves, good on you ?

cheers
First of all well done for not letting your lack of transport stop you from starting up.

I personally couldn’t drive when I first started up because it was easy to get the train to my previous job and car insurance was crazy for me at the time, then the company I worked for went bust out of the blue so I had literally no money.

I started knocking on doors canvassing for window cleaning and had to walk to all my work for about a year and I hated it, I had to stop every now and again to take a breather because It would hurt carrying the ladders so far! 

Really glad i did it though and I’m sure you won’t look back. Just focus on what you are accomplishing and your future and don’t waste anytime caring about the people who laugh. I used to be on minimum wage before window cleaning and now I only need to work 3 days a week and earn a lot more than I did full time previously! So it’s worth sticking at it. 

As for tips, I started leaving a pair of ladders at a friends house that was closer to some of my work which helped, I’d also empty the bucket if I had a long walk and fill it at the customers house when I knew who had taps I could use etc. I found that made the journey more bearable! But it might not be an issue on a bike. I would also set myself targets to earn per hour which kept me focused.

All the best going forward, keep going with it and before you know it all your hard work will have paid off when you have transport and an established round ?

cheers
Good morning Kieron, 

Welcome to the Forum,

I commend you're entrepreneurship and the willingness to get out and work, I do believe there are others on here that are doing to same thing and doing well.

The only grey area I see is safety, darker morning and low visibility isn't great and the fact you are carrying such equipment puts yourself at risk in my opinion. 

I'm hoping you're not cycling with a massive set of triple ladders and something smaller. 

Keep up the great work and look after yourself 

same here,  carrying ladders when first got the bug.    ive too much work for myself now.   i used to leave ladders half way between rounds in a customers garden.     used to have to climb over wall , get ladders and bucket  and climb back out.     free window clean 2 weekly.

takes years to build up to a good standard of regular customers.

i then learned to drive,     that was it.      expand to all areas.

keep money coming in . build up bit by bit by bit.     you wont want a 9/5 job again

then WFP

Cheers everyone, I appreciate the positive comments.

i really enjoy it and it’s really good to see that other people started out this way also

cheers
Keep at it, as they say "you got this."

Things that I heard and seen others do for commuting on a bike...

High visibility vest for dark mornings and evenings.

Heated hoodies or jackets for those cold days... work in layers!

Good luck from this window cleaner from the US.

Check out the guys wfp cargo bike and there one with a trad set up to!

Last edited by a moderator:

cheers
Well done for getting started it can be done like that but the police might see it as dangerous and possibly it could come under the insecure load regs , with the overhang being more than a meter front and or back of the bike it should have hi vis flags on either end , just something to be mindful of , glad you are picking up work well done , try and get a vehicle to use ASAP it will make life a lot easier .

I admire your enthusiasm to just get on with it!

Been thinking about cycling with a ladder - I'm surrounded by terraced streets with no parking which most local windys don't seem to bother with... ? 

Well done on your quick progress so far, that's great stuff.

Think about your USP (unique selling point).  You're at a disadvantage by having basic equipment and no vehicle so you cannot compete directly against the other window cleaners.

So think about what you do bring to the game.  Why should people hire you and what makes you different and better?  When you have decided on your USP - flaunt it, sell it, shout it!

Best of luck.

Very well done for getting out and grafting, I am pretty sure and old member on here had a trolley made or adapted to transport the ladder more easily and safely I may be wrong 

Cheers chaps again for the comments I really do appreciate them.

what I have found whilst out canvassing are that people in the posher houses are much for in tune with my idea. 

And understand that even tho I charge maybe abit more than what they would normally have there windows done. They appreciate that as I am only doing a few houses a day I can really take my time with that particular property so it justifies how much I do charge.

again thank you for the comments and the help 

I know a guy who has been doing it part time for years in a nearby village who does Trad with a ladder. Every customer is in easy walking distance to him. But as I say he does it part time, so does not have many customers. If he wanted or needed more, distance would negate this without transport.

I'd hate to be walking around with a ladder and no transport.....I've done it years ago when my car engine blew up until I got myself another one....back in my trad days....

It's not viable long term though esp when you go WFP....

Cheers chaps again for the comments I really do appreciate them.

what I have found whilst out canvassing are that people in the posher houses are much for in tune with my idea. 

And understand that even tho I charge maybe abit more than what they would normally have there windows done. They appreciate that as I am only doing a few houses a day I can really take my time with that particular property so it justifies how much I do charge.

again thank you for the comments and the help 
Business name ideas haha 

Lean green cleaning machine 

Zero emissions cleaning 

Cycle path services 

Wheelie good clean 

One man and his bike window cleaning 

Proficiency window cleaning 

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely admire the OP for his post and making it work.

Seriously wish you well and would like to see your progress as you grow. I will certainly check back in to see this post so keep the updates coming, please ?

Iv done it by foot for 20 years . Im now learning to drive and wish I'd done it sooner.  However I have over 400 customers and could of had many more if I'd wanted.  When on foot try to keep each days work as close as you can.  Recanvas your roads every year and watch your round get more compact year by year. Try to get some ladder drops overnight with customers so you can finish one day and pick up where you left of the next.  Best advice get on the road as soon as you can . One thing iv been thinking about for my  furthest away round (which involves a lot of walking to get to it and back is to get telescopic ladder and to put it in a taxi. Ignore those that take the p!ss out of you.  I had it when I started.  12 months later the same ones were asking me for a job ??

When I first started out I was living at home with my parents. knocked on all the doors on my estate. Picked up about 50 customers, I was very cheap. I charged about £5 and earn roughly £250 every 6 weeks.

I know £250 not alot but I was living at home, wasn't paying rent, borrow a ladder, brought cheap squeegees, washer and a bucket. 

Word of mouth help too and a old window cleaner who used to cleaned my parents Windows threw some work down my way that he didn't want to cleab anymore.

Never looked back 

Back