Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New electric reel, but hose kinks driving me crazy!

Skywalker

Hey everyone,

Bought a new Grippa electric reel, used it on Friday for the first time, the reel itself is great, but the new hose has loads of loops and kinks in it. I don’t remember having this aggro with my original Grippa hose, but it took me 10 times longer to reel in each job as I was constantly trying sort it out. 
Any tips to help unkink.

I have It in the garden at the moment in straight lines, hoping that will help??
I tried hot water on the really bad bits and it made it worse!!

It can be how the hose is put on, as an ex electrician you always unreel cable, never pull from the middle, when I put a new hose normally get a broom ? handle and put through the middle of the reel, and unreel it like that. Pulling from the middle will create twists that will take a long time to work out 

Pull all the hose off the reel and take the twists down the hose from the reel to the end of the hose when it’s laying flat down the road reel it back on the reel and it will be fine , I always find this happens when putting new hose on a reel , si now I put the hose uncoiled down the road before winding it in the reel this helps prevent the kinking  issues , 

As a side point how do you find the Grippatank reel is it quick winding in and will it pull the hose round the corner of a building ?? 

Pull all the hose off the reel and take the twists down the hose from the reel to the end of the hose when it’s laying flat down the road reel it back on the reel and it will be fine , I always find this happens when putting new hose on a reel , si now I put the hose uncoiled down the road before winding it in the reel this helps prevent the kinking  issues , 

As a side point how do you find the Grippatank reel is it quick winding in and will it pull the hose round the corner of a building ?? 
I’ll try that thanks. 
still Very early days, but it has two speed settings, slow is very slow, but fast is bloody fast, especially with kinks in the hose ?

I haven’t tried pulling it round corners yet, but it Feels like it has a fair bit of power. I’ll keep you updated once I have more info ?

Hey everyone,

Bought a new Grippa electric reel, used it on Friday for the first time, the reel itself is great, but the new hose has loads of loops and kinks in it. I don’t remember having this aggro with my original Grippa hose, but it took me 10 times longer to reel in each job as I was constantly trying sort it out. 
Any tips to help unkink.

I have It in the garden at the moment in straight lines, hoping that will help??
I tried hot water on the really bad bits and it made it worse!!

You'll train the hose in time, or a tip is the unwind it all, get a large bin full of boiling hot water and soak it for a few minutes then wind it all in creating a new memory effect in the pvc 

Give it a few weeks and it will happen less and less with kinks.  I had the same problem back in June with my electric reel and new hose.  Was a nightmare took like 5-10 mins to reel in for about a week.  After a few weeks down to about 1 minute now or so maybe less.  Hot water would solve the problem straight away.

Hey Pjj

I unrolled the hole reel on Sunday in a straight line, and re-reeled it back in, and now it is running like a dream, no kinks or twists ?

Hey Pjj

I unrolled the hole reel on Sunday in a straight line, and re-reeled it back in, and now it is running like a dream, no kinks or twists ?
I find that works well it takes the twists out as you reel in just put a bit on the reel at a time and chase the twists down the hose 

Latest Posts

Back