Jump to content

Power supply to van overnight


Recommended Posts

Hi, about to put an immersion in the tank for heating up overnight and just wondered if anyone has come up with anything to stop themselves driving off with the plug still in the socket at their property?

I’ve done it a couple of times myself and would love to find a product that is designed to break itself in half under strain and can be simply put back together. A “drive away” power cable if you will.


Caravans, lorries and electric vehicles must experience the same issues surely?

Hope everyone understands what I’m on about 😂

Link to post
7 minutes ago, dyson123 said:

Hi, about to put an immersion in the tank for heating up overnight and just wondered if anyone has come up with anything to stop themselves driving off with the plug still in the socket at their property?

I’ve done it a couple of times myself and would love to find a product that is designed to break itself in half under strain and can be simply put back together. A “drive away” power cable if you will.


Caravans, lorries and electric vehicles must experience the same issues surely?

Hope everyone understands what I’m on about 😂

Just do a visual inspection on your vehicle before you get in. Check the tyre condition etc ,then you'll see the cable going into the van. 

Link to post
27 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

Wrap the extension cable round the drivers mirror Then you can't get in without seeing that cable 🙂 

Pjj's suggestion is sound but if you really think there's a chance you'll still possibly forget, I'd go with Ched's idea.

If you still do drive off with it plugged into the van, I'd get checked out by your GP before you start trying to put your trousers on over your head. 😁

Link to post
3 hours ago, dyson123 said:

Hi, about to put an immersion in the tank for heating up overnight and just wondered if anyone has come up with anything to stop themselves driving off with the plug still in the socket at their property?

I’ve done it a couple of times myself and would love to find a product that is designed to break itself in half under strain and can be simply put back together. A “drive away” power cable if you will.


Caravans, lorries and electric vehicles must experience the same issues surely?

Hope everyone understands what I’m on about 😂

Put a 16amp male ceeform socket under the rear bumper, I would strongly suggest a small garage 2 way mini consumer unit needed fitted within the van as the current draw from an immersion coil, 

Also you'd need a quality cable of 2.5mm Cross section. Not a cheap caravan cable as caravans only consume 10a

 

I have a piece of fascia board I've sign written Remove cable from van before driving off in red text which fits over the steering wheel.

I would not recommend using a cheap extension lead as you'll melt it. 

Side note, coiled up powered up extension leads generate a resistive load and get toasty warm.

20201025_193824.jpg

ae235.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post

I really dont understand how you can drive off with an extension cable plugged in first thing....🤣

I always unplug my batteries first thing in the morning then I start my van engine ,followed by switching on my pump/heater to recirculate,put my belt and pouch on then I'm good to go....👍

Link to post
2 minutes ago, dazmond said:

I really dont understand how you can drive off with an extension cable plugged in first thing....🤣

I always unplug my batteries first thing in the morning then I start my van engine ,followed by switching on my pump/heater to recirculate,put my belt and pouch on then I'm good to go....👍

There are some clusterfcuks in society 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
On 25/10/2020 at 19:45, Apw1210 said:

Put a 16amp male ceeform socket under the rear bumper, I would strongly suggest a small garage 2 way mini consumer unit needed fitted within the van as the current draw from an immersion coil, 

Also you'd need a quality cable of 2.5mm Cross section. Not a cheap caravan cable as caravans only consume 10a

 

I have a piece of fascia board I've sign written Remove cable from van before driving off in red text which fits over the steering wheel.

I would not recommend using a cheap extension lead as you'll melt it. 

Side note, coiled up powered up extension leads generate a resistive load and get toasty warm.

20201025_193824.jpg

ae235.jpeg

Sounds good, I’ll get my electrician friend to do all of this but just to get my head round it

16amp male socket on the van feeding a 2 way garage consumer unit within the van with a 15amp breaker for the battery charger etc and a 20amp breaker for the 3kw tank immersion heater?

A female 16amp socket on the outside of the house fed by a 6mm twin and earth cable straight from the consumer unit.

Does that sound about right or am I talking ******? (Electrician will be doing all of this but I just like to know myself 👍)

Link to post

I'd be very wary of using a 3kw immersion in the van. Especially if it's going into a plastic tank. I use a short 2kw immersion from Grasshopper Liesure and rightly or wrongly I believe 2kw is what most people use. It can be used plugged into a standard socket (I fitted an outdoor double socket in front of the garage) . Providing you use an extension cable rated 13 amp. I made my own as most shop bought extension cables are only rated 10 amp. I would advise that you put plenty of insulation around, over and especially under the tank. The underneath is the most important at this stage as it would be difficult to do after the tank is fixed in position.

Link to post
15 minutes ago, Davy G said:

I'd be very wary of using a 3kw immersion in the van. Especially if it's going into a plastic tank. I use a short 2kw immersion from Grasshopper Liesure and rightly or wrongly I believe 2kw is what most people use. It can be used plugged into a standard socket (I fitted an outdoor double socket in front of the garage) . Providing you use an extension cable rated 13 amp. I made my own as most shop bought extension cables are only rated 10 amp. I would advise that you put plenty of insulation around, over and especially under the tank. The underneath is the most important at this stage as it would be difficult to do after the tank is fixed in position.

I was going to go 2kw but read someone say 3kw would be better. I already have a double outside socket so would just need a decent extension cable if going with 2kw.

The tank has been bolted down in the van since April so was wondering how people insulated underneath the tank?

I was thinking of getting a sheet or two of 25mm rigid insulation board and cutting it into sections and glueing them to the tank. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Link to post
15 minutes ago, dyson123 said:

I was going to go 2kw but read someone say 3kw would be better. I already have a double outside socket so would just need a decent extension cable if going with 2kw.

The tank has been bolted down in the van since April so was wondering how people insulated underneath the tank?

I was thinking of getting a sheet or two of 25mm rigid insulation board and cutting it into sections and glueing them to the tank. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

I've been using a 2kw very successfully for quite a few years now. Can't fault it. I've put all the information on previous threads. If you use the search bar you should be able to find them. I use rubber matting under the tank, and bubble wrap and loft tank insulation quilt around it. Bubble wrap and 18 mm stiff rubber mat on top of the tank (650 flat Wyedale) as shelf for the side reel. 

Link to post
Master Jedi Alejandro
On 25/10/2020 at 19:49, Apw1210 said:

There are some clusterfcuks in society 

Not long after we started we got a cold snap which meant I had to put a heater in the van overnight to stop everything freezing up. One morning I jumped in the van and off I went, before hearing a almighty crash! I had neglected to take the heater out. 😅 Managed to sheer the cable in two. Heater was fine, just had a shorter reach from then on 😂

  • Haha 3
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.