Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Door knocking - is it frowned upon in 2020

Woody86

So it got me thinking after watching some known youtubers promoting door knocking to increase round size. I get that this advice might be supported if they are selling leads which promotes visiting the property.

Personally, ive always closed the door on any door-to-door salesman and thought what a waste of time trying to seek new business that way. Yet what do I know seeing as there is great success shared by Green Pro Clean.

Today, I spotted the below shared on social media which supported my views above.

image.png

Thoughts?

You're not offering a service that isn't visible, i.e. they can't see if there is a problem with their gutters, and therefore there is a lot of trust involved. You are offering  to clean the windows and they will know if their windows need cleaning so it is a straight forward yes or no. Also after you have finished you can't say oh by the way it will be £100 instead of the £15 I quoted.

So it got me thinking after watching some known youtubers promoting door knocking to increase round size. I get that this advice might be supported if they are selling leads which promotes visiting the property.

Personally, ive always closed the door on any door-to-door salesman and thought what a waste of time trying to seek new business that way. Yet what do I know seeing as there is great success shared by Green Pro Clean.

Today, I spotted the below shared on social media which supported my views above.

View attachment 22211

Thoughts?
We already have a post / thread covering this topic. There's no problem with door knocking if you are wishing to attract a new customer base 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's good to see views on here as I was planning to go out into the same area over the coming weeks until the local neighbour watch sent out a warning.

What I don't like is the bit quoting:

"Warwickshire police and Warwickshire standards advise  not to engage with  anyone trading door-to-door, reputable companies avoid trading by this method"

I guess this will make it a bit harder so will avoid that area for the time being. Folk will naturally have their guard up I guess.

Shame that the conmen spoil it for us geniune folk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like you, I do not welcome people knocking on my doors.  I don't agree this is the way to do business in the 21st Century.

However, it is a proven and tested method for window cleaners (and helps to build up compact rounds) and I do not begrudge anyone doing this.

In my opinion, online is the way to do it but the danger here is that rounds are not compact and you will end up driving all over the place!

If you're not willing to knock door to door, be prepared to use online services or lead generation to secure customers, that will be spread out over a bigger area and leave you out of pocket (in the short term).

I've made my peace with my decision and will continue with my decision not to knock on doors.  

I did some door knocking two weeks ago on an estate where i had only two custys. I also gave the homeowners a flier with the agreed price written on. Picked up £60 new work in an hour ?? A pleasant and calm demeanour goes a long way. Plus they will soon politely tell you if they are not interested. I also mentioned I was observing social distancing as an extra reassurance ??

It's good to see views on here as I was planning to go out into the same area over the coming weeks until the local neighbour watch sent out a warning.

What I don't like is the bit quoting:

"Warwickshire pole and Warwickshire standards advise  not to engage with  anyone trading door-to-door, reputable companies avoid trading by this method"

I guess this will make it a bit harder so will avoid that area for the time being. Folk will naturally have their guard up I guess.

Shame that the conmen spoil it for us geniune folk.
We regularly get firms like Anglian and Everest knocking on our door so I disagree with the statement that reputable firms won’t door knock , if you have business cards and uniform I would just carry on at worst ones will tell you to get lost ????

stop worrying and GET DOOR KNOCKING........your overthinking it......just knock if you want more work.....im the opposite at the moment.....i just cant be arsed with any new jobs as im behind due to my holiday to greece a few weeks ago.....they can either wait until next month or find someone else....

when i started on my own in 1993 i was door knocking every week for at least 2 or 3 hours for the first 6 months and then at least once a month for a few years until it started to snowball for me......

Latest Posts

Back