Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

backpack emptying itself out of slick connect.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ks789

Anyone else had this or know what it might be? got female slick connects on hose reel in van and on gardiner back pack. has been fine for year or so, now it decides to relieve itself all over whatever floor its sat on at the time. despicable  behavior, deserves a damn good thrashing. Nah but seriously, Its switched off etc, so I dont get it. and seems like I'll have to somehow keep the connector in the air above water level in backpack to stop it keep leaking. I'd presume others have had this so would be much appreciated to hear.

Anyone else had this or know what it might be? got female slick connects on hose reel in van and on gardiner back pack. has been fine for year or so, now it decides to relieve itself all over whatever floor its sat on at the time. despicable  behavior, deserves a damn good thrashing. Nah but seriously, Its switched off etc, so I dont get it. and seems like I'll have to somehow keep the connector in the air above water level in backpack to stop it keep leaking. I'd presume others have had this so would be much appreciated to hear.
Have you a worn or split O ring on the male part or a worn split hose on the entry to the collar?

Also have you over compressed the double ear O clip and split one of the hose barbs  

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you a worn or split O ring on the male part or a worn split hose on the entry to the collar?

Also have you over compressed the double ear O clip and split one of the hose barbs  
Its difficult to see, it all still works fine, its as if after its been used, even though switched off water can suck/drain out. Its the female connector. Can they be taken off the hose? I thought once they were on that was it? not sure

Yeh its def the female connect. No way that comes off the hose, would rip the hose. I reckon the bit inside that opens when the male connect screws on, is staying on even after taken out, so if on floor will drain out. Shoddy really. Well ive just forked out a lot lately and im not buying new mark 2 female and male slick connects just yet so reckon I'll just have to keep it bungeed up above water level when not in use, should stop water escaping out.

In fact, was just reading some reviews on the slick connect, mostly good, yet a number of them reckoned they had real trouble disconnecting etc. Strange as I found them real easy, Unless, is the slick mark 2 more difficult?

Its difficult to see, it all still works fine, its as if after its been used, even though switched off water can suck/drain out. Its the female connector. Can they be taken off the hose? I thought once they were on that was it? not sure
You can carefully cut off the double ear O clips with some heavy duty side cutters or carefully with a hacksaw but you'll snap the barb off with any lateral force 

In fact, was just reading some reviews on the slick connect, mostly good, yet a number of them reckoned they had real trouble disconnecting etc. Strange as I found them real easy, Unless, is the slick mark 2 more difficult?
it's not something I'd use. Can't stand janky bits of plastic

I’ve never taken one apart but presume there’s a spring in the female connector that seals it when the males disconnected. 

I can just about fit my little finger into the female to push it open which is what the male does when connected. Has the spring in yours given up and therefore when disconnected there’s no seal?

as for getting it undone pull the cover off (which isn’t easy) and cut off the clip. I use these for removing clips

ebay item 162610703550. 

Then just boiling water on it and it will pop off without damaging it. Never taken one apart but good luck fixing it. 

Have you pressed a small screwdriver in the connector and submerged it in warm soapy water to clear out and grit or dirt they may be fowling its seal

No double ear o clip on it, I forget putting it on now, think just tightened it onto the hose by turning it

I pushed in the bit in the middle with a pen, still seems to have spring, then smeared bit of vaseline around rubber seal on male slick, then twisted on and off on the female. left female on ground level and the leaking seems to have stopped.

I pushed in the bit in the middle with a pen, still seems to have spring, then smeared bit of vaseline around rubber seal on male slick, then twisted on and off on the female. left female on ground level and the leaking seems to have stopped.
Preventive maintenance is key in this trade. Do those steps every month and have 20mins a week set aside for kit admin

Latest Posts

Back