Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Second Van Advice

P4dstar

Premium Member
Afternoon chaps. Looking at getting a second van. As some of you will know I currently have a dispatch with a 650L tank. I'm looking to add a 850L 2 man system with a bit more room in the back for when we need the gutter vac or pressure washer. From what I've seen there aren't many that can hold a 1000L tank which is what has prompted the 850.

I've been looking at Citroen Relay (or Peugeot Boxer), VW Crafter, MWB Sprinter, MWB transit. Any advice gratefully received as always.

Hi Paddy, VW and Sprinter can only take 1200kgs at a push. You would need to copy Paul or PT and go for one that can hold over 1400kgs. fwiw 
I read the sprinter and Crafter can take 1454, that’s the only reason for considering the extra expense involved with them.

I know there’s a local guy that has a LWB transit and carry’s a 1200 litre tank, 2 lads, 2 reels, a vac.... no way he’s under 3.5 ???

I reckon with a 850 and 2 reels, fully loaded I’m at 1200 before I sit 2 “average” sized chaps in the front.

I’m sure PT or PJJ will spot the post haha.

I read the sprinter and Crafter can take 1454, that’s the only reason for considering the extra expense involved with them.
That will be the short wheel base low roof one. Only short ars3s like Ironman can drive them, the big boys go for MWB hi roof ones. I like the hi roof because when I jump in the back I don't hit my inflated head all the time. ???

I fancy a high roof model, just because it’s easier to work on the van itself. Loading and unloading etc is easier. I can pop some ladders on the back door to get the ladders down on the rare occasion they’re needed, might even leave them on the dispatch as there’s already a rack in place. This is what I found on the sprinter.

CF47FC04-1DFB-405B-959A-053E96477A8F.jpeg

Afternoon chaps. Looking at getting a second van. As some of you will know I currently have a dispatch with a 650L tank. I'm looking to add a 850L 2 man system with a bit more room in the back for when we need the gutter vac or pressure washer. From what I've seen there aren't many that can hold a 1000L tank which is what has prompted the 850.

I've been looking at Citroen Relay (or Peugeot Boxer), VW Crafter, MWB Sprinter, MWB transit. Any advice gratefully received as always.
I have a renault master that’s just been written off the payload of that is 1640  kg , Ime hopefully getting a MAN TGE  which is the same as the vw crafter the payload on that is 1333 kg  so will keep my 1000 ltr tank but won’t fill it will have to work out how much water I can put in it once it’s all fitted out , we do  a lot of work on site so can fill it then as off road it doesn’t matter , @Part Timer had a Fiat Ducato I think so could advise on payload with them , they are a wider van than most about 8-9 inches wider than sprinters , crafters , etc 

with two men working all day I would say a minimum amount of water needed would be 850 ltr unless you can top up during the day , we also have one of the latest Toyota pro ace vans that has a payload of 1400 kg with a 600 ltr thermopure system in it but it doesn’t leave a lot of spare room for other kit , I personally don’t like them but the renault master , Fiat Ducato, Citroen relay are probably the best for payload but they are very cheap quality vans , I wouldn’t be buying another one . 

I fancy a high roof model, just because it’s easier to work on the van itself. Loading and unloading etc is easier. I can pop some ladders on the back door to get the ladders down on the rare occasion they’re needed, might even leave them on the dispatch as there’s already a rack in place. This is what I found on the sprinter.

View attachment 22263
My master was mwb high roof that’s the best option for a large tank ,two fixed reels and carrying gutter vac , or pressure washer with drums of hypo ,Virosol etc and two guys . 

I have the MWB Ducato which has an 800l tank, with hot water, in it. I also have an R/O with booster pump and twin stack. This is circa 3350kgs without anyone in. I wouldn't, legally, be able to have a full tank, carry gutter vac, generator and two people.

The back however is cavernous, @Iron Giant climbed in the back and we didn't see him again for 3 weeks. I can comfortably get 2 vacs and 2 generators in the back. The Ducato also has the added advantage of not needing an AdBlue tank and still passes the Euro6 emissions.  

Toyota pro ace vans that has a payload of 1400 kg with a 600 ltr thermopure system in it but it doesn’t leave a lot of spare room for other kit , I personally don’t like them but the renault master , Fiat Ducato, Citroen relay are probably the best for payload but they are very cheap quality vans , I wouldn’t be buying another one . 
Its hard to beat German vans. I've had my VW Crafter over 10yrs now and has never let me down because I service it every year. @Pjj are you getting the MWB or the LWB model MAN van?

Its hard to beat German vans. I've had my VW Crafter over 10yrs now and has never let me down because I service it every year. @Pjj are you getting the MWB or the LWB model MAN van?
It’s a MAN TGE mwb high roof , long wheel base is to big and Evan less pay load , I dont want to go  down the 5 ton route as you then need an operators licence , and a 6 weekly service contract .

It’s a MAN TGE mwb high roof , long wheel base is to big and Evan less pay load , I dont want to go  down the 5 ton route as you then need an operators licence , and a 6 weekly service contract .
Aye, I have the MWB Crafter which is the same as the Man Tge because VW own Man so they just use same van and change the badge. I thought you were happy with the Renault?

Aye, I have the MWB Crafter which is the same as the Man Tge because VW own Man so they just use same van and change the badge. I thought you were happy with the Renault?
The renault was ok but it didn’t like solid steel bollards ???it’s a total loss as far as the insurance are concerned 

64BAA990-F360-456A-92CC-4FD00F217040.jpeg

I have driven the crafter which is the same vehicle it’s a lovely drive Ime getting an auto this time as it will be better for all the hills around hear , no more slipping the clutch , it’s an 8 speed auto very nice .

The renault was ok but it didn’t like solid steel bollards ???it’s a total loss as far as the insurance are concerned 

View attachment 22271

I have driven the crafter which is the same vehicle it’s a lovely drive Ime getting an auto this time as it will be better for all the hills around hear , no more slipping the clutch , it’s an 8 speed auto very nice .
All the Fire Engines seem to be autos now, I thought the clutch would burn out quicker but not the case it seems.

Thanks chaps, sorry for the late response I've been working all day. No one tell Steve Garwood or I'll be in trouble ?

Its gonna sound daft but I never notice when they're the same, for example I didn't realise the crafter and master were the same van. So the Ducato, Relay and Boxer are all the same I think. I reckon I'm gonna shop the master, crafter, relay, Ducato and Boxer. MWB high roof.

Once I've sorted it I think the system will probably be a Grippa 850. Power up 3D reels. I can concentrate on that when I've sorted the van to be fair. I'm not desperate for it before xmas, especially if we go into lockdown again.

Thanks chaps, sorry for the late response I've been working all day. No one tell Steve Garwood or I'll be in trouble ?

Its gonna sound daft but I never notice when they're the same, for example I didn't realise the crafter and master were the same van. So the Ducato, Relay and Boxer are all the same I think. I reckon I'm gonna shop the master, crafter, relay, Ducato and Boxer. MWB high roof.

Once I've sorted it I think the system will probably be a Grippa 850. Power up 3D reels. I can concentrate on that when I've sorted the van to be fair. I'm not desperate for it before xmas, especially if we go into lockdown again.
The crafter and master arnt the same van , the old style crafter and sprinter were the same , but arnt any more vw have produced there own van and it’s far superior to the sprinter in my view having driven both the vw is much nicer to drive . 

I have two 3 D reels that are for sale but don’t have time to package them up at the moment , if you are interested later pm me 

The master is a solid van and feels so to drive but prone to electrical problems.

Relay and Boxer L3 H2 same van lovely to drive and quick when carrying a load,

One of my Relays had a new engine fitted under warranty no problem from Citroen highly recommend them.

My Boxer needed work under warranty nightmare.

Sprinter is a flying machine if you have to travel    

The Ducato has a Fiat engine whilst Boxer and Relay have a Citreon one. Hence the reason it doesn't need AdBlue and the others do.
The Boxer and Relay have a Ford Transit engine 

Euro 5 engine doesn't take Ad blue, Euro 6 does 

The change was in 2016 both engines were available. Ducato comes in auto 

All good vans 

Back