Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sfwindowcleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi there,

My storage tank is outside with my RO in a garden box. Winter’s coming up, so does anybody know how to prevent it from freezing?

Thanks
Make sure you weather and draft proof the box. Consider raising it off the ground. Insulate it inside on every surface including the bottom, with : foil back bubble wrap, slab insulation or whatever you choose, and use plenty of it. Make sure you use insulation that won't soak water. Again make sure you've properly weather and draft proofed the box. Make sure you do the job in a way that doesn't make it hard to get access for using and maintaining the equipment.

Fit a small thermostatically controlled tube heater amongst the equipment. Mine's about a foot or so in length and uses just 60 Watts when it kicks in. Set it on a low setting. You don't need to keep the equipment warm. A few degrees above freezing will do. If you're really worried you could also cover the equipment inside the box with an old coat or a fleece blanket but make sure it doesn't touch the heater. Make sure you keep everything dry due to any dampness forming a cold bridge that can wick away the heat. But most importantly to minimise the potential risk of electrocution. Make sure you have proper circuit breaker protection suitable for outdoors. It should be an easy task to complete. Any doubts at all about the electrical safety get professional guidance.

Please let us know how you get on. ?

Hi there,

My storage tank is outside with my RO in a garden box. Winter’s coming up, so does anybody know how to prevent it from freezing?

Thanks
You need to protect your RO as a hard frost will blow it apart and seriously damage the membrane.

A common sense approach is to insulate it. Go to screwfix toolstation or B&Q and pick up a cheap loft header tank jacket kit and wrap the RO and it's component parts. As for your water tank make sure it's not directly on the ground as low level ground frost will affect it. Get sone old duvets or loft insulation and wrap it up then use pallet wrap to secure it 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back