Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Some people are just downright lazy

Baldmonkey

Why do people think its alright for us to provide them with an entire business model for window cleaning... Its just lazy. 

Gleaning a bit of information they maybe stuck on is fine, a bit of advice on something is what communities like this are made for. 

Unfortunately I have seen quite a few posts that want us to literally tell them step by step how to run a window cleaning business correctly and that is not on, bloody lazy.. Shouldn't be in business if you don't know how to actually run one... Winds me up.. Rant over

You can take on board all the advice in the world but nothing beats real life experience as well....we all need advice when starting off as it can be quite daunting when first going wfp.....none of us would be where we are now without the help/advice from other people.....

Why do people think its alright for us to provide them with an entire business model for window cleaning... Its just lazy. 

Gleaning a bit of information they maybe stuck on is fine, a bit of advice on something is what communities like this are made for. 

Unfortunately I have seen quite a few posts that want us to literally tell them step by step how to run a window cleaning business correctly and that is not on, bloody lazy.. Shouldn't be in business if you don't know how to actually run one... Winds me up.. Rant over
There is some truth to that. I like to help people and I especially enjoy good conversation. But people really should do some research to gain a bit of knowledge so that they have an idea of what to ask. Some do but some don't.

In my case, I don't recall ever asking a question on the forum in six and a half years. The answers to all my questions were/are generally already available in conversations on the forum. Specific questions with equipment I've asked the suppliers for the answer.

I don't wish to put people off asking questions. If you don't know you don't know. It helps us all when we help each other. It keeps us fresh and we learn to see different ways of doing things.

Just do some research in advance and meet us half way.

My rant over as well. ?

I totally agree with you and also notice those that appear from nowhere, We give them professional and proven advice on systems practices and tips then they just disappear into the haze.

When I started out I did my homework brought the gear and started out.

I think alot of the younger ones in society seek conformation and need that constant support.

#spoonfedsociety 

Last edited by a moderator:
As a noob, a few times recently I've looked at the forum and thought "Oh my god, there are so many other people starting up, I won't stand a chance".

Then I read their questions and think that if they can't even be bothered to search the forum, use Google, look at supplier websites etc or find window cleaning channels on YouTube, they're unlikely to manage starting a business... ?

As a noob, a few times recently I've looked at the forum and thought "Oh my god, there are so many other people starting up, I won't stand a chance".

Then I read their questions and think that if they can't even be bothered to search the forum, use Google, look at supplier websites etc or find window cleaning channels on YouTube, they're unlikely to manage starting a business... ?
Welcome to the trade and forum.

You are totally correct and you stand a good chance of doing well with your attitude ability and passion 

I totally agree with you and also notice those that appear from nowhere, We give them professional and proven advice on systems practices and tips then they just disappear into the haze.

When I started out I did my homework brought the gear and started out.

I think alot of the younger ones in society seek conformation and need that constant support.

#spoonfedsociety 
I think this is partly true.  It might have changed now, I really don't know, but when I was at school over 20 years ago if you weren't planning on going the whole Uni route and then taking a career type job you were classed as a bit or a rebel and down and out, they didn't want to know.  Zero information about being self employed.  

So when I left school I didn't know anybody can set up a business and you didn't need any qualifications to do it.  You were brought through the schooling system to be told you have to study, get your certificates and then you can do what you want to do.  It wasn't until I was being turned down at a job interview for a trainee IT job vacancy that the owner said to me if I was you I'd look at starting something yourself and he said you don't need these bits of paper to say you can do something.  

Seems silly looking back on it, but when you have been told otherwise your entire life and don't personally know anybody with their own business then you're non the wiser.

It might have changed now though, and with the power of the internet and shows on tv like the Apprentice and Dragons Den, I think it would be hard to see how people wouldn't know they can set up their own business today doing whatever they want... but you just don't know their upbringing.  

You also get the dreamers though, I've got friends who like to talk about setting up in business who never do it and never will.  Always some excuse as to why it won't work, the timing not right, wife / girlfriend won't let them etc.  One of my mates was interested when I first started, then he poured cold water on the idea and said he couldn't see it working, I still find it a great motivator thinking back to what he said.

Truth is though, you could outline everything and even give people a perfectly set up window cleaning business on a plate for free to them but the key ingredient that you can't teach is 'motivation' and 'persistence'.  Setting up is easy, it's going out there day in, day out giving the same service in all weathers, aches, pains, dog **** etc  That's the hard part and it takes a lot of mind over matter to keep at it, that's why most will fail.

Just to clarify, I have no problems helping someone out who is stuck or unsure about something.. What I do not like is when one person sits going.... 

how do you do this and how do you do this and how do you do this and how do you do this and how do you do this and how do you do this and how do you do this and how do you do this agggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

Just to clarify, I have no problems helping someone out who is stuck or unsure about something.. What I do not like is when one person sits going.... 

how do you do this and how do you do this and how do you do this and how do you do this and how do you do this and how do you do this and how do you do this and how do you do this agggggggghhhhhhhhhhh
I also agree with your statement. I'll happily help anyone but I hate it when a name pops up, grabs the answers given and you never see them again.

The forum is a community of like minded souls that help others and engage in friendly factual banter 

I've got to be honest. I think this is one of the only trades where we welcome new competitors with open arms, and happily give them all the advice they need to build a successful business. In some elements this is great, they we generally are a welcoming and friendly trade. But on the other side of the coin it's a lot easier for new starters to start up now, the equipment has made the job much less hard work and much less risk. And on top of that a new starter can come on a forum, and gain advice on just about everything, advice some of us had to gain through years of experience and not all good experiences, but that's how we learned.

Again I'm not against offering advice, but I'd still like to keep some secrets ?

I recently moved from a backpack on trolley set up, to a van mounted system, purifying my own water. I received a lot of awesome advice on this forum. Advice that i’ve been able to pass on to others. Particularly about RO’s and such. Searching the archives becomes addictive ? An amazing information resource. @spruce and @doug atkinsonhave been particularly helpful. As well as many others! ??

They hold the trade back, think it only cleaning windows charge silly prices then realize a lot more involved and give up.

Then we get a call to quote as the last window cleaner disappeared.

Go along and quote to hear that's expensive the last one was only £x ( that's why he disappeared )   

Rant over 

There is a  young lad that I am close with, he's in his 20's. 

Last year he was well up for window cleaning, making money etc. He had all cards done, uniform made, spend money on a small wfp setup, I even took him out with me to help him off the ground, in the one week he worked  for me he made more money than he would have done full time at Sainsburys.

I said to him this is the easy bit, deciding to do it, getting the uniform etc. But the hard graft comes getting customers.. 

8 months later, he threw in the towel and is back working, this time at Tescos. 

To be honest most of you newbies will not make 3 years. That is the fact. 

Last year he was well up for window cleaning, making money etc. He had all cards done, uniform made, spend money on a small wfp setup, I even took him out with me to help him off the ground, in the one week he worked  for me he made more money than he would have done full time at Sainsburys.

I said to him this is the easy bit, deciding to do it, getting the uniform etc. But the hard graft comes getting customers.. 

60% of new businesses fail in the first 3 years, 20% don't actually see their first Anniversary. Starting a business is easy, brave as well. The hardest part is making it work and people don't realise how hard it is, no matter how many times they're warned, until they try it.

This doesn't however detract from those that really tried hard but failed due to any number of things that can go wrong. Running your own business sounds glamorous, unfortunately for a lot of people it is anything but. 

60% of new businesses fail in the first 3 years, 20% don't actually see their first Anniversary. Starting a business is easy, brave as well. The hardest part is making it work and people don't realise how hard it is, no matter how many times they're warned, until they try it.

This doesn't however detract from those that really tried hard but failed due to any number of things that can go wrong. Running your own business sounds glamorous, unfortunately for a lot of people it is anything but. 
This is so true.

For the last 8 years or so I haven't had to do any significant levels of canvassing at all, maybe a day here or there to bump up some floundering rounds in some parts. 

But the truth be told, if I had to start canvassing again, I would just go out and do it until I get the results. 

In the early years, I was canvassing 4 or 5 evenings a week in the summer and spring months; for nearly 5 years before I could sit back and let the work come in on it's own momentum. 

I guess it's just too much hard work for these millienials. 

It reminds me of those two prats a few years ago that started up that failed Osha Clean website, you know that lower-middle class couple with an 'idea' that they could never find a good window cleaner so they started a business where they in effect become middlemen for window cleaning bookings, with absolutely no idea how a business proposition should work (ie it needs to be attractive to both the supplier and customer) of course their assumption that all window cleaners must be knuckle dragging oiks happy to take a pack of fags and a cuppa as part of the payment, and in some cases just the opportunity to be in their presence at their property is payment enough....Yes I can  see why they couldn't find someone.. they even 'won' an award from virgin for new start-up of the year..what a load of tosh..

People's perception of being a business owner makes me laugh in this country. 

You start of with an idea, and all of a sudden your rewarded with praise before praise is due. 

Your called an "entrepreneur" even when you have only picked up your 3rd customer.

It's a Molly cuddle mush of nonsense.

It's people that have been in business for 20,30,40 years and are making a profit that get forgotten..

Rant over...

I will always respect someone that risks everything, or leaves the relative safety of a paid job, to try and better themselves. I would prefer to be known to be someone that tried and failed than someone that never tried.
Yes but define fail.

Business fails when you make the decision to fail. 

Yes but define fail.

Business fails when you make the decision to fail. 
Every failure will have a reason, some as you say due to insufficient effort, but there will be many others where their circumstances change.

Sometimes failure isn't the correct term, sometimes abject failure is closer, however if someone in January sold everything and borrowed money to become a mobile hairdresser and because of what has happened has packed in then I wouldn't call that failure.

Every failure will have a reason, some as you say due to insufficient effort, but there will be many others where their circumstances change.

Sometimes failure isn't the correct term, sometimes abject failure is closer, however if someone in January sold everything and borrowed money to become a mobile hairdresser and because of what has happened has packed in then I wouldn't call that failure.
Oooohhh I like that.

The reason why I ask is because many people see their business is "failing", and give up.

When in reality, it just hadn't met their expectations within the time frame they wanted. 

Oooohhh I like that.

The reason why I ask is because many people see their business is "failing", and give up.

When in reality, it just hadn't met their expectations within the time frame they wanted. 
It depends on their outlook in general. Some people, in all walks of life, find it easy to succumb and accept rather than stand their corner 

To be honest, when I started, after months of only getting dribs and drabs of work I believed i'd made a costly mistake, buying all the gear etc. But it was because of that outlay of expense that i thought no way can this fail, its just not an option. I'd bought a 4021, slx, van etc etc, as you all know, theres no limit to outlay. So slowly it picked up, but im glad a lot of them do jack it in ?

Back