Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

wfp trolley battery amps

Paul Irving

what amps are you using on your trolleys, mine has died and I need one urgent, this is the one i have but cleaning warehouse might have some in a few weeks, no good to me, this is 26 amp, I see loads for sale, toolstation, screwfix etc but much less amps, what are you using and what is the difference? electrics is not my thing so any advice would be great, thanks.

20201102_120509.jpg

what amps are you using on your trolleys, mine has died and I need one urgent, this is the one i have but cleaning warehouse might have some in a few weeks, no good to me, this is 26 amp, I see loads for sale, toolstation, screwfix etc but much less amps, what are you using and what is the difference? electrics is not my thing so any advice would be great, thanks.

View attachment 22289
Try ringing local Golf course with shop. They normally have some.

Unless you know anything about electrics, my recommendation would be that if you are using a trolley you have purchased from say Pure Freedom or one of the other suppliers, that you fit an equivalent size battery to the original. Most 12v 24-26ah batteries are the same dimensions. They are usually golf cart batteries. I've purchased mine from eBay and Amazon with few problems in the past. But make sure you buy a good brand.

You can only get away with using a smaller capacity (ah) battery if you pair it with the right pump. If a trolley is only being used for domestic window cleaning for example it doesn't really need a large heavy pump like a Shureflo, so a backpack pump could be used instead. These will run all day on a 7-10ah battery depending on which pump you fit. If you use a relatively short hose, a 4 litre/min 40-60psi pump will usually suffice in my experience.

I modified my trolley a few years back now and now use a backpack style pump rated at 5 litre/min 70Psi with a battery rated at 12v 10ah and charge it every night. This has worked well for me. Just for reference, I use an 18m length of PU pole hose 90% of the time.

Unless you know anything about electrics, my recommendation would be that if you are using a trolley you have purchased from say Pure Freedom or one of the other suppliers, that you fit an equivalent size battery to the original. Most 12v 24-26ah batteries are the same dimensions. They are usually golf cart batteries. I've purchased mine from eBay and Amazon with few problems in the past. But make sure you buy a good brand.

You can only get away with using a smaller capacity (ah) battery if you pair it with the right pump. If a trolley is only being used for domestic window cleaning for example it doesn't really need a large heavy pump like a Shureflo, so a backpack pump could be used instead. These will run all day on a 7-10ah battery depending on which pump you fit. If you use a relatively short hose, a 4 litre/min 40-60psi pump will usually suffice in my experience.

I modified my trolley a few years back now and now use a backpack style pump rated at 5 litre/min 70Psi with a battery rated at 12v 10ah and charge it every night. This has worked well for me. Just for reference, I use an 18m length of PU pole hose 90% of the time.
Like I said toolstation next day 12v 12ah thats what I use and my trolley draws 3.6 amps and the battery lasts for 3 days before my voltage alarm beeps at 11.2v 

we've done your homework for you mate and helped you across two posts. Unfortunately we are not Internet shoppers and can't do anymore for you 

Hi, my gardiners backpack is slowly failing and I'm upgrading the parts. I've replaced the battery , but the factory fitted charger dosent appear to be charging it according to voltage meter. Could anyone advise which charger would be best

Most battery chargers designed for cars are not suitable for small batteries as they have a minimum usually of 20ah
Best to get a new charger from @Alex Gardiner

I've used a CTek MX5 with the 10hr battery in my trolley for many years with no problems. This is a smaller capacity battery than the Gardiner backpack one which is a 12ah if I'm not mistaken. You will have to either change the end of the charger cable or make an adapter for the backpack though.

However, if your charger was working before you changed the battery it sounds more like you many have another problem going on.

I've used a CTek MX5 with the 10hr battery in my trolley for many years with no problems. This is a smaller capacity battery than the Gardiner backpack one which is a 12ah if I'm not mistaken. You will have to either change the end of the charger cable or make an adapter for the backpack though.

However, if your charger was working before you changed the battery it sounds more like you many have another problem going on.
The Gardiner backpack charger is 1.7 amps, 12v dc

Found the problem .... I had also changed the volt meter to a digital one as the old one didn't work. When I turned the back pack on it showed 10.3 v which made me think it hadn't charged , when I turned the power dial up the voltage went up as well. Will have to re wire so it shows true voltage regardless of power setting

Latest Posts

Back