Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO’s and freezing temperatures

ShropsWindowCleaner

Hello all. I’ve faced many a winter as a window cleaner, but for the first time face one with a van mounted system. My RO unit and resin are also onboard. I’ve got an oil filled radiator to keep in over night. At what point would you recommend it be used to protect the RO? It’s going down to 1 degree in Shropshire tonight apparently....?

I only put my radiator in at 0 degrees, or below. I just have it so it’s just above the frost stat. So I turn the dial till you hear the click. Always been ok so far. Always let the pressure out of the hose. Others may have different ways for you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I only put my radiator in at 0 degrees, or below. I just have it so it’s just above the frost stat. So I turn the dial till you hear the click. Always been ok so far. Always let the pressure out of the hose. 
mothers may have different ways for you. 

Others
That’s great advice! Thank you ????

For me that would depend when I'm filling the tank. If it is the same night then I don't bother unless forecast to be -1 for at least 4 hours. If it's a Saturday afternoon and likely all weekend I'll put it in at zero. I park my van right beside the garage door so will get a bit of  heat from the house.

For me that would depend when I'm filling the tank. If it is the same night then I don't bother unless forecast to be -1 for at least 4 hours. If it's a Saturday afternoon and likely all weekend I'll put it in at zero. I park my van right beside the garage door so will get a bit of  heat from the house.
Thanks mate, will bear that in mind ????

Hello all. I’ve faced many a winter as a window cleaner, but for the first time face one with a van mounted system. My RO unit and resin are also onboard. I’ve got an oil filled radiator to keep in over night. At what point would you recommend it be used to protect the RO? It’s going down to 1 degree in Shropshire tonight apparently....?
Good evening. Similar question same answer. Get a cheap loft header tank insulation jacket kit or some off cuts of foam carpet underlay and make a slip on jacket to protect the RO, simple Blue Peter construction with gaffa tape. The insulation will work as a protective cold air barrier. Also as mentioned additional heating in the van will keep your gear frost free. Don't worry about your tank so much. The pump and hose reel are the main culprits 

Good evening. Similar question same answer. Get a cheap loft header tank insulation jacket kit or some off cuts of foam carpet underlay and make a slip on jacket to protect the RO, simple Blue Peter construction with gaffa tape. The insulation will work as a protective cold air barrier. Also as mentioned additional heating in the van will keep your gear frost free. Don't worry about your tank so much. The pump and hose reel are the main culprits 
I always wanted to make jacket...? Awesome advice. Il get cracking on that before it gets too cold ??? ? 

For me I just put the heater in the van with a frostat setting at around 2 degrees. I've put it in the last couple of nights just to be sure.

In years gone by I put a large duvet over the tank which also covered the pumps and hose reels. I still put the heater in. I have never had frozen stuff in the back since I've had a van mount in nearly 15 years.

Saying that, we do live on the North Coast so our winter temperatures are higher than some places inland.

For me I just put the heater in the van with a frostat setting at around 2 degrees. I've put it in the last couple of nights just to be sure.

In years gone by I put a large duvet over the tank which also covered the pumps and hose reels. I still put the heater in. I have never had frozen stuff in the back since I've had a van mount in nearly 15 years.

Saying that, we do live on the North Coast so our winter temperatures are higher than some places inland.
Might give it a test run tonight. Best to eliminate any issues now before the frost comes. Are oil filled rads cheap to run? I’ve never had to own before installing a van system ??‍♂️

Back