Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fill time from filter to barrels

Nick Mitton

Hi, I'm thinking of converting to wfp from trad. I currently clean approx 25-30 3 bed semi's in a day. How much filtered Water would I need and how long would it take to filter into drums ready for trolly? 

Hi, I'm thinking of converting to wfp from trad. I currently clean approx 25-30 3 bed semi's in a day. How much filtered Water would I need and how long would it take to filter into drums ready for trolly? 
all of the answers are on the forum

When you say filtered are you aware it's pure deionised water with a tds of zero ppm 

Depending on mains water pressure and flow via the RO DI system the output flow / fill time is determined 

For me to transfer from an IBC 60lpm 

You are in a hard water area of around 259ppm so you will get away with a standard R/O and decent sized di vessel of 5ltrs upwards initial outlay around £300 it could take 45 minutes or over an hour to fill a 25ltr container or stump for a 40/40 R/O and a di vessel which will cost you in excess of £600 and be lot quicker depending on water pressure you may need a booster pump chuck on anywhere from £100 to £300 

If you are doing and wanting to do 25-30 houses a day of the type you mentioned and be fully wfp as an untrained wfper a trolley set up ain't the way to go at all as a novice you could use 500ltrs a day on 25 houses you can double to triple that usage on first cleans and you might manage 15 houses a day to begin with if you are extremely lucky as first cleans will take 2-3x longer than a regular clean and use 2-3x as much water. 

You are in a hard water area of around 259ppm so you will get away with a standard R/O and decent sized di vessel of 5ltrs upwards initial outlay around £300 it could take 45 minutes or over an hour to fill a 25ltr container or stump for a 40/40 R/O and a di vessel which will cost you in excess of £600 and be lot quicker depending on water pressure you may need a booster pump chuck on anywhere from £100 to £300 

If you are doing and wanting to do 25-30 houses a day of the type you mentioned and be fully wfp as an untrained wfper a trolley set up ain't the way to go at all as a novice you could use 500ltrs a day on 25 houses you can double to triple that usage on first cleans and you might manage 15 houses a day to begin with if you are extremely lucky as first cleans will take 2-3x longer than a regular clean and use 2-3x as much water. 
This was why I turned downed being a moderator when asked by pro green. I’d look at a question like the one above, then simply couldn’t be ar5ed to work it out.

Fair play @Iron Giant

Yeah understand will take more water on 1st cleans especially as I'm novice but that won't always be the case. 

I'm wanting to know how much filtered Water I would use once once I'm not a novice. 

I've been in the business for nearly 30 years so looking long term. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter and I got through 25 houses today, a mix of mainly 3 and 4 bed terraced houses and got through 300l. One was a minging first clean with a small conny and I used 42l on just that one.

We find water usage varies at different times of year. Tends to go up in the dry summer months and down in winter

It takes me 25 mins after work to purify 500L of water straight into my tank(using DI only) for my next days work....my tap TDS is 024 so this is ideal for me.....

Personally I wouldn't go down the barrel route....I'd go straight for a 500L tank....I can use 450L in 5 hours work some days....remember you will need to leave a bit of water in the bottom of your tank to prevent airlocks...you should never totally drain your tank every day.....

Yeah understand will take more water on 1st cleans especially as I'm novice but that won't always be the case. 

I'm wanting to know how much filtered Water I would use once once I'm not a novice. 

I've been in the business for nearly 30 years so looking long term. 
I can get away with 350ltrs a day but plenty more use 400ltrs plus so as @dazmond avoid barrels and get a tank as it will take you weeks more likely months to be efficient as us long term lads 

Check your payload, 400ltrs is 400kg plus tank and extra 35kg frame/cage battery hose reel and so on not forgetting your ladders for a time and other bits plus yourself could be 700-750kg at a guess. 
690 payload.... 400l of filtered or unfiltered? 

If unfiltered then surely I only need a 3rd of that in filtered? 

690 payload.... 400l of filtered or unfiltered? 

If unfiltered then surely I only need a 3rd of that in filtered? 
You need pure processed water which will be 400ltrs the water needs to be processed, you need an R/O which will take hours to process 400ltrs either into your tank in your van or static tank at home, you will need 400ltrs in your van which ever way in order for you too clean windows via the wfp method. 

download (1).jpg

You need pure processed water which will be 400ltrs the water needs to be processed, you need an R/O which will take hours to process 400ltrs either into your tank in your van or static tank at home, you will need 400ltrs in your van which ever way in order for you too clean windows via the wfp method. 

View attachment 22307
Thanks.... Was under the impression that you needed 3 times the amount o f tap water to get what you needed filter.... Ie 1200l tap water to get 400l pure.... So if I need 400l pure I'd need 1200l tap in the van to convert? 

Thanks.... Was under the impression that you needed 3 times the amount o f tap water to get what you needed filter.... Ie 1200l tap water to get 400l pure.... So if I need 400l pure I'd need 1200l tap in the van to convert? 
Most if not all people process water before it goes into the tank, unless you can DI only. i.e. from tap to ro system to van tank. No need to carry more water than you need. Just carry Pure Water.

With an RO system yes you are right , using DI all the water is used 

I'm a newbie, I just did my house, 3 bed with a conny. Just practicing wfp. It was a bit green in places!  I've used 50 +ltrs ,that's the first time I've  used.  But am impressed with the results. 

Ian Docksey said:
I'm a newbie, I just did my house, 3 bed with a conny. Just practicing wfp. It was a bit green in places!  I've used 50 +ltrs ,that's the first time I've  used.  But am impressed with the results. 
I know it's not quite as per post. But it may give an insight on how much water you may use just starting up.

I think most have tanks in their back garden and fill up from there. I maybe wrong!. I get my water from Spotless water and now from 24 pure water also. 
Spotless water is around 3.5p a litre.  24 pure water is £1 for 25 litres atm and £20 free credit on sign up. Maybe worth looking into.

We use RO S and have filtration in the van so we can fill when on site , some have a tank in the garage or shed and pump it from that into there van .

Back