Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

leisure battery terminal connectors

johnny bravo

ive had crocodile clips on for years , looking to change   .  sometimes get knocked by gear being moved .

any link to a good terminal connector being flat with no issues.    Going to try change gear around  get a bit of space

ive had crocodile clips on for years , looking to change   .  sometimes get knocked by gear being moved .

any link to a good terminal connector being flat with no issues.    Going to try change gear around  get a bit of space
Crocodile clips are a croc of shite.

They do not provide a secure cross section of conductive material causing arcing high resistance and the risk of polarity crossover blowing older pump controllers.

There are a whole host of battery terminals available from conventional lead, brass & quick connectors for standard post batteries 

Why don't you just google car or leisure battery terminals but don't use amazon or Google 

A very simple and time saving procedure.

I know what I use and they are ? 

Polish_20201109_022121009.jpg

ive had the crocodile clips on the last 7 years. haha.     no issues really unless knocked and move them  on terminal.      just try to remember   when throwing **** into van ,  just going to put something on more secure when i re set up van 

Crocodile clips are a croc of shite.

They do not provide a secure cross section of conductive material causing arcing high resistance and the risk of polarity crossover blowing older pump controllers.

There are a whole host of battery terminals available from conventional lead, brass & quick connectors for standard post batteries 

Why don't you just google car or leisure battery terminals but don't use amazon or Google 

A very simple and time saving procedure.

I know what I use and they are ? 

View attachment 22340
Hi, I’ve been using croc clips for around 12 years without a single issue, but interested in the conductive material phrase.

Can you explain that in layman’s terms please ??

Hi, I’ve been using croc clips for around 12 years without a single issue, but interested in the conductive material phrase.

Can you explain that in layman’s terms please ??
Crocodile clips have a very small area that is in contact with the post it’s only the ends if the teeth  that make contact this can cause a problem with poor curent flow , and getting hot , Ime sure @Apw1210 will give a technical explanation though 

One thing that bothers me, a little, when I see peoples vans is that the batteries have nothing to stop something metal shorting out the terminals!!! If something metal or carbon fibre (carbon fibre is conductive, unless coated correctly) touches both terminals or the +ve and the chassis then you could have a fire!! Please put the battery in a battery box they are only about £20 here's an example 110Ah battery box - check your battery will fit before ordering. Then you can use the releasable terminals if you need to remove the battery regularly. Like these  Quick Release Battery Clamps .

Also make sure you have a fuse very close to the battery terminal before connecting to anything.

just finished recording a video for my YouTube explaining battery connectors and the importance of using the correct terminals for the application aforementioned 

Will upload it shortly 

20201109_213245.jpg

I'm also surprised at how some people have their leisure batteries quite vulnerable to short circuiting. Both my large Numax XV35MF, 120 amp leisure batteries are in large, strong, flat topped American made plastic battery boxes (Hall's Electrical, Swindon) as used by the emergency services. I have one in each side of the van just behind the tank. They are linked together and fuse protected. They have a strong board bridging across the two which forms an easily removable shelf. I fitted a colour coded fuse protected double lead from them to the end of the wooden shelf unit just inside the back doors in readiness for if I ever need to mains charge the batteries. I haven't yet needed to mains charge but I probably will one day as the batteries are a few years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also surprised at how some people have their leisure batteries quite vulnerable to short circuiting.
A local windy to me recently had a fire in the back of his van!!! The cause was something fell over after he had an emergency stop that shorted out battery!!! Luckily he smelt the fire before it got too bad and managed to put it out!!! It didn't do too much damage but could have taken whole van out!!!! 

A local windy to me recently had a fire in the back of his van!!! The cause was something fell over after he had an emergency stop that shorted out battery!!! Luckily he smelt the fire before it got too bad and managed to put it out!!! It didn't do too much damage but could have taken whole van out!!!! 
Yeah Ched, not everyone realises the danger of shorting and how easy it can happen. I grew up with old bangers and charging, jump starting, pushing and towing. I got a good schooling on short circuiting. ?

Yeah Ched, not everyone realises the danger of shorting and how easy it can happen. I grew up with old bangers and charging, jump starting, pushing and towing. I got a good schooling on short circuiting. ?
Yep me too playing with cars.

I think I actually learned the batteries can cause fires earlier in my life. I had a Sony walkman when I was about 14 and used it a lot. So I had nicad AA batteries. I used to carry spare ones in my pocket. One day the keys in the same pocket shorted one out!!! It heated up very quickly and actually burnt my leg! It was then I realised shorting batteries was not a good thing ?

I'm also surprised at how some people have their leisure batteries quite vulnerable to short circuiting. Both my large Numax XV35MF, 120 amp leisure batteries are in large, strong, flat topped American made plastic battery boxes (Hall's Electrical, Swindon) as used by the emergency services. I have one in each side of the van just behind the tank. They are linked together and fuse protected. They have a strong board bridging across the two which forms an easily removable shelf. I fitted a colour coded fuse protected double lead from them to the end of the wooden shelf unit just inside the back doors in readiness for if I ever need to mains charge the batteries. I haven't yet needed to mains charge but I probably will one day as the batteries are a few years old.
Someone else who does the job right 

I think I actually learned the batteries can cause fires earlier in my life. I had a Sony walkman when I was about 14 and used it a lot. So I had nicad AA batteries. I used to carry spare ones in my pocket. One day the keys in the same pocket shorted one out!!! It heated up very quickly and actually burnt my leg! It was then I realised shorting batteries was not a good thing ?
Laugh, eh!?

You can now. ?

long shot.     does anyone know if you can buy the part for  the numax battery charger , The part you have  connected to the battery terminals permanantly  so you can add clip on charger to charge battery easily.  if you know what i mean,

May be ideal for 2nd battery,

Were you wearing hotpants at the time? ?

Latest Posts

Back