Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trad to wfp and back again

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nick Mitton

Has anyone gone over to pole and then come back to trad? If so why? 

I've been trad for 30y, not sure about swapping over, seems like everyone gone to wfp? 

I went completely wfp, but have gone back to doing quite a few trad. I find in most situations wfp makes more sense, but in others (terraced houses etc) I can get through the work using traditional in about the same time with what seems like less faffing about. Different tools for different jobs, just like any other trade. I also enjoy having a bit of variation between the two methods. 

Has anyone gone over to pole and then come back to trad? If so why? 

I've been trad for 30y, not sure about swapping over, seems like everyone gone to wfp? 
why? Time saving soap free job to soap saturated seals and residue back to soap free time saving completely pointless and a waste of time and effort 

Are you personally asking this question as you struggle with wfp and pole weights or just "asking for a friend" ? As they say 

I went completely wfp, but have gone back to doing quite a few trad. I find in most situations wfp makes more sense, but in others (terraced houses etc) I can get through the work using traditional in about the same time with what seems like less faffing about. Different tools for different jobs, just like any other trade. I also enjoy having a bit of variation between the two methods. 
Was you using trolly, backpack or van? 

why? Time saving soap free job to soap saturated seals and residue back to soap free time saving completely pointless and a waste of time and effort 

Are you personally asking this question as you struggle with wfp and pole weights or just "asking for a friend" ? As they say 
No I'm asking for me... Currently trad but looking to go wfp... After 30 I'm struggling to make the plunge I gess

Sorry if I'm muddying the water - I'm not saying you shouldnt bother with wfp. It will make your life easier mate, definitely. And safer.  I just don't think you have to be 100 per cent one or the other, and having both gives you options. I don't regret getting the pole system set up if that's a better answer. 

Yeah still use wfp

You will struggle to take the plunge because to a point it goes against everything you know also it's going to take a lot of work to convert your rounds and likely almost as much money as you've spent on trad in 30 years,

I remember over 12 years I spent about £1,200 making the switch and I had two custys complain and I had my head in my hands thinking what have I done blowing this money, also all that time ago we were all as green as each other and there was only 1 forum and we were all learning, no fb groups and no help videos on youtube either, Today you have this forum to help you, look back at your first post and the answers and info we gave, that info wasn't available years ago

It will take you weeks to get your head around things and some days you will be swearing and cursing and wanting to be back on ladder, but going wfp you will get through your work more safely and with a lot less hassle some days like today it was foggy and damp I cast my mind back to years ago been trad having too scrim windows 3 times and scrims getting damp quickly going up a wet and muddy ladder from gardens and mud been from my ankles upwards and trousers been filthy and days dragging over even worse in winter when frost and snow is on the ground and you can't work

Totally different despite wfp hurdles no chewing on with scrims, damp cloths and a muddy ladder crack off all work safely with two feet on the ground even when frost and snow is on the ground.

People who have reverted back to trad haven't been invested enough in wfp why employ 1-2 lads when you can get through as much work been wfp there is lads in my area that have customers complain and they have gone back to the ladder for all or a good proportion of their jobs pure madness and they both employ when they could be on there own

Last edited by a moderator:
I use both. Do very little ladder work but I do have terraced houses where it's a long walk round to get to the back gardens and they only have two upstairs windows, close enough together that you can get both from one climb and not particularly high. It's quicker to walk round with the ladder than drag the hose round. I'll also do a bit of ground floor trad cleaning if I think it's quicker.

I use both. Do very little ladder work but I do have terraced houses where it's a long walk round to get to the back gardens and they only have two upstairs windows, close enough together that you can get both from one climb and not particularly high. It's quicker to walk round with the ladder than drag the hose round. I'll also do a bit of ground floor trad cleaning if I think it's quicker.
Yeah I have some bungs I'm planning on keeping trad and a few where I have to go over garages or on flat roofs that pay well.... For now anyway. 

Going to order My gear this weekend 

You would benefit from a backpack for those rear of terrace windows.

Awkward jobs like going over the garage roof I dropped years ago and became selective about jobs more so enquires for terraced houses I am not prepared to take on a single job which is maybe house No5 in a block of 15 terraced houses if I get a phone call for a job as soon as they mention terrace in the street name I ain't interested.

Yeah I have some bungs I'm planning on keeping trad and a few where I have to go over garages or on flat roofs that pay well.... For now anyway. 

Going to order My gear this weekend 
You missed Window cleaning warehouse Black Friday 24% off plus spend over £300  and get another 5% off

Awkward jobs like going over the garage roof I dropped years ago and became selective about jobs more so enquires for terraced houses I am not prepared to take on a single job which is maybe house No5 in a block of 15 terraced houses if I get a phone call for a job as soon as they mention terrace in the street name I ain't interested.
I agree but front terraced houses for £10 a go is nice easy money especially if you have a few in a row we have some ware we do 8-10 in an hour nice easy work, I say it’s not worth while for us to do one job  if you get your neighbors to have them done at the same time we will do it , so the customer is then doing the canvassing for  you ,I wish we had more like this to be honest . 

I agree but front terraced houses for £10 a go is nice easy money especially if you have a few in a row we have some ware we do 8-10 in an hour nice easy work, I say it’s not worth while for us to do one job  if you get your neighbors to have them done at the same time we will do it , so the customer is then doing the canvassing for  you ,I wish we had more like this to be honest . 
I agree if you have a few in a row, I have a minimum charge of £8.00 (recently increased) I do typically do just the fronts on the ones I have, they are very easy quick money.

I like the idea of prompting them about there neighbours, certainly worth testing the water in future ?

Back