Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning bus shelters

Maund

I have been asked if I could clean bus shelters, there are 4 that needs cleaning, all look like this. 

The whole shelter needs to be cleaned except the roof. 

Are there easy to clean? I can't see them looking any different after cleaning, especially the plastic panels

If it is doable how long roughly do they take, and how much to charge? 

IMG_20201109_153328.jpg

I cleaned a similar one recently that was covered in green algae. It hadn’t been cleaned for some years but came up really well. Seems odd that they don’t want the roof cleaned. 
I charged them £100, but it was filthy and they were really pleased with the end result. I used all pure along with some degreaser as there was no access to a tap nearby. Took me about one hour.

I have been asked if I could clean bus shelters, there are 4 that needs cleaning, all look like this. 

Are there easy to clean? I can't see them looking any different after cleaning, especially the plastic panels

View attachment 22344
I've seen a 'national' company doing them in our area. They drive grey and maroon vans but I can't for the life of me think of the company's name.

He had a broom with a brush on each end of the handle. The first brush was for removing cobwebs inside the shelter and shelter inside roof and the other brush was a stiff brush for sweeping the rubbish out of the shelter which he swept into the road.

He washed both sides of the perspex windows and the seat. He dried the seat off and replaced some advertising stickers on the side 'windows'. He did this in around 20 minutes but he was in no hurry. I think the cleaning side would take us less than 10 minutes tbh.

These shelters are done regularly so its a quick clean. If the shelter hadn't been cleaned for a long time then it will take longer to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 22344
this is just like mr Burger van clean.

It's a common sense clean in theory, it's polycarbonate glazing so you'll remove the TFR bird shite and moss but not make it look like new 

It's one of those jobs I'd walk away from as it's detracting from real work 

And if they're full of people waiting to catch a bus.
Free Covid Not good 

And if they're full of people waiting to catch a bus.
I've seen the passengers sitting on a bench outside the shelter waiting for the bus when this company was cleaning one on the main road into Saltburn by the Sea. I wasn't there to see if he 'kicked' them out of the shelter or not.

I did chuckle to myself when I saw this. As window cleaners we are very accommodating of our customers. Over the years when we do a shop front and entrance we work around the customers. But my 'snapshot' of this was the cleaner appeared to kick them out. Get out or get wet. ?

The other thing I smiled about in both cases. The cleaner parked his van smack bang in the middle of the bus stop. The bus had to stop in the main road.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to do a few for the local council but that included the roofs as well charged £25 a go the firm doing them now charge £5 and they are covered in moss look awful, from my experience anything to do with Local , authority involves tons of paper work and they dont want to pay anything , probably better of doing a few more domestic houses 

Back