Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Buying a used van.

J and S

Going to look at this Friday.....does the price seem about reasonable if it's in decent nick?

Ford Transit Custom 2.2 270 LR P/V 99 BHP.......36,000 miles on clock £10k plus the dreaded.

Going to look at this Friday.....does the price seem about reasonable if it's in decent nick?

Ford Transit Custom 2.2 270 LR P/V 99 BHP.......36,000 miles on clock £10k plus the dreaded.
It's not something we can comment on as we can't see or inspect it.

Does it have a full service history 

Is it rotting underneath 

Is the floor clean and Doesn't have holes drilled In it 

My best advice look online at Parkers price guide or compare with other age and mileage vans on autotrader or dealerships 

Why are you asking a bunch of window cleaners???

Personally I'd always buy brand new and keep the van for 10-15 years these days...you re always taking a chance buying second hand.....no one can give you advice on the van as we dont know the  service history,condition,etc......go with your gut instinct and hope for the best....?

Don't want any monthly payments.......got the cash to buy a decent 2nd hand which I will own from day one.......can do what I want with it.

Don't want any monthly payments.......got the cash to buy a decent 2nd hand which I will own from day one.......can do what I want with it.
That's how i do it.

Never had finance / HP and always purchase outright.

I know bigger companies have fleet lease rental which is okay because the servicing is always done by the lease rental company, you always get tidy newer vans, and if your business goes down the pan you don't lose your van 

Don't want a new van anyway.....would never get anything done......be too busy being careful not to mess it up or get it dirty in back.

Each to their own but if your planning on cleaning for the next 10-20 years it would save you having to keep swapping systems out every few years....i have a 9kw diesel heater in mine so dont want to be taking it out in the  next 10 years(I've already had it nearly 4 years from new)when i finally get another new van I'll get a new diesel heater fitted at the same time....

Each to their own but if your planning on cleaning for the next 10-20 years it would save you having to keep swapping systems out every few years....i have a 9kw diesel heater in mine so dont want to be taking it out in the  next 10 years(I've already had it nearly 4 years from new)when i finally get another new van I'll get a new diesel heater fitted at the same time....
By the time you get a new van diesel will be banned and we will all be driving electric vans !!!!!!! ?????

Only thing in my van overnight is a tank full of pure and maybe a 100m reel of hose depending how lazy I am.....poles come out, pump, battery and controller all fitted into a box which is lift outable and in the garage for the night.

Double di is on an old PF trolley and wheeled out to fill up....I'm lucky in that I can park in front of garage and tap is on drive side of house so just a short length to van.

The 270 payload is very poor around 750-850kg.

As for customs they're fab, im on my second one and have 3 in the company. 

By the time you get a new van diesel will be banned and we will all be driving electric vans !!!!!!! ?????
Itll be 2035 at the earliest when they ban the sale of new diesel vehicles....I'll probably get a new one in 2030....my van will be 14 years old by then...I'll get a new webasto diesel heater installed at the same time...?

I had a custom(65 plate) from brand new for 3 years.... the back door hinges kept snapping, they will have sorted them out and the door hinges were also like chocolate, did 45k miles in it and never had 1 problem, i have heard of a few horror stories with the new customs but they are no were as good as the mk6(2001-2006) Still see a lot on the road today,  the customs are much better then the mk7(2006-2013)  transits though ,

Back