Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trying to get 360 ppm down to 0/1 with new ro setup...

Baldmonkey

OK so as the title says I'm going to be upgrading my system so that I can reduce (or stop) using resin. 

So follow me when I list the flow... And tell me if I'm being stupid/missing something. 

2 x clear 10 inch 1micron sediment filters - - 1 x 20 inch 1 micron sediment filter - - 2 x 20 inch carbon filters - - booster pump - - 4040 axeon hf5 ro - - booster pump - - split through 3 x 400 gpd ro filters - - through resin - - ibc

Now I know its not a usual setup but I'm hoping that the reduction from the 4040 will be enough to get the water down from 360 to 1 at the most. 

Have I missed something? 

OK so as the title says I'm going to be upgrading my system so that I can reduce (or stop) using resin. 

So follow me when I list the flow... And tell me if I'm being stupid/missing something. 

2 x clear 10 inch 1micron sediment filters - - 1 x 20 inch 1 micron sediment filter - - 2 x 20 inch carbon filters - - booster pump - - 4040 axeon hf5 ro - - booster pump - - split through 3 x 400 gpd ro filters - - through resin - - ibc

Now I know its not a usual setup but I'm hoping that the reduction from the 4040 will be enough to get the water down from 360 to 1 at the most. 

Have I missed something? 
Move to Devon or Scotland haha 

Wow! Is that a pick & mix list or are you really planning on using that lot? ?

Last time I checked my water was 325ppm, my system which is softener/carbon/4040 HF5 can get me down to c3ppm.

If it were possible that lot should get you into minus figures but I guess you would end up at 1ppm.

I wouldn't do away with DI personally, it gives much more cleaning power.

Do you pay for water on a meter?

if so the waste you produce through the hf5 firstly will likely outweigh resin cost or at least severely reduce effectiveness.

Resin is one cost. Water and the power used to run boosters is also significant too. Plus membrane wear and tear and pre filters. Not to mention the upfront cost versus down the line ROI.

I know 0ppm is ideal but I’ve seen another window clean with 30ppm and couldn’t see any spotting so why we all insist on having sun 5 or 10 ppm could reasonably be questioned based off of that.

There is so many variables to running cost you’ll need to just run the number based on costs, efficiencies and such.

Then you start to question is all that work worth a saving on 50p or £1 a day. I say that because a I’ve been doing this thinking myself setting up a new system. 

Do you pay for water on a meter?

if so the waste you produce through the hf5 firstly will likely outweigh resin cost or at least severely reduce effectiveness.

Resin is one cost. Water and the power used to run boosters is also significant too. Plus membrane wear and tear and pre filters. Not to mention the upfront cost versus down the line ROI.

I know 0ppm is ideal but I’ve seen another window clean with 30ppm and couldn’t see any spotting so why we all insist on having sun 5 or 10 ppm could reasonably be questioned based off of that.

There is so many variables to running cost you’ll need to just run the number based on costs, efficiencies and such.

Then you start to question is all that work worth a saving on 50p or £1 a day. I say that because a I’ve been doing this thinking myself setting up a new system. 
I understand your opinion, I don't have a water meter and if I'm being honest I love doing things like that, it's great seeing if you can achieve something ?

I understand your opinion, I don't have a water meter and if I'm being honest I love doing things like that, it's great seeing if you can achieve something ?
A true innovator. 

perhaps consider a holding tank after the first RO as the flow may be reduced so much when boosting to the next. Might not but I would imagine it may be. 

Keep us updated. 

I don't think it will work. The second booster pump only has a limited supply of water, in that your 4040RO is only able to produce a finite amount of water for the booster pump. The initial booster pump is drawing from mains water which has an unlimited supply (in comparison to what the pump can handle). Happy to be corrected but I think you would just be running the second pump semi dry.

I don't think it will work. The second booster pump only has a limited supply of water, in that your 4040RO is only able to produce a finite amount of water for the booster pump. The initial booster pump is drawing from mains water which has an unlimited supply (in comparison to what the pump can handle). Happy to be corrected but I think you would just be running the second pump semi dry.

A true innovator. 

perhaps consider a holding tank after the first RO as the flow may be reduced so much when boosting to the next. Might not but I would imagine it may be. 

Keep us updated. 
I know exactly what you both mean and that has been the head scratching moment for me.. I choose the hf5 as its supposed to have a 2500gpd output (and yes I know this is optimal and unlikely to actually achieve that) but let's say I do.. Thats 11000 litres a day and 7.64 per min, the second booster pump only pumps 5ltrs a minute so should (theoretically) have a sufficient supply to run... But I guess there is only one way to find out... Building **** is fun ?

I know exactly what you both mean and that has been the head scratching moment for me.. I choose the hf5 as its supposed to have a 2500gpd output (and yes I know this is optimal and unlikely to actually achieve that) but let's say I do.. Thats 11000 litres a day and 7.64 per min, the second booster pump only pumps 5ltrs a minute so should (theoretically) have a sufficient supply to run... But I guess there is only one way to find out... Building **** is fun ?
I did used to enjoy building stuff, I just ain't got the time now. Enjoy it while you can haha. 

work life balance is what its all about, too many people chase money like its the most important thing in life.

work life balance is what its all about, too many people chase money like its the most important thing in life.
I would counter that argument and say that if you put the effort in now you can rebalance later. Ain't taken a holiday since 2017, just the standard week at Christmas. Sometimes I work 6 or even 7 day weeks. I'm looking forward to being able to take a little time off the tools in 2022, for now I'm happy. Balding, going grey, but happy to make the sacrifice nonetheless. 

Depends on what you call balance. Currently on my 3rd night in a London hotel working down here. Going home via Cambridge tomorrow. Now some people will think working away is a step to far and is to much of a commitment. I however enjoy working away every so often as it's a change from the norm. I do agree however that getting to engrossed in chasing money can cause numerous problems including family and health.

I would counter that argument and say that if you put the effort in now you can rebalance later. Ain't taken a holiday since 2017, just the standard week at Christmas. Sometimes I work 6 or even 7 day weeks. I'm looking forward to being able to take a little time off the tools in 2022, for now I'm happy. Balding, going grey, but happy to make the sacrifice nonetheless. 
Only issue is that any one of us may drop dead tomorrow, don't forget to do some things that you enjoy before it's too late.

43 and on course to retire at 50, done my stint at hard graft and there is nothing wrong with it, I'm just at a little later stage in life now ?

As the saying goes, While laying on a deathbed, nobody looks back and says ‘I wish I’d worked longer hours’

I’m 54 now and under normal circumstances, I can say with total honesty, I still get exited when the weekend is upon us

I do agree however that getting to engrossed in chasing money can cause numerous problems including family and health.
I got totally fed up with working flat out chasing.

Some people will chase money and never be rich and sacrifice their family life by trying to be all things to everyone and reaching that big goal of retiring comfortably, for most people that's completely out of the window these days and in the future, people are far too driven on chasing money and wanting what other people have flash cars and gadgets and so on

Happiness is a far greater reward and finding and maintaining that balance between money and family and not sacrificing things blindly, @P4dstar I couldn't do what you do working all the time I would crack up, but fair play to you for pushing yourself to give your kids a much better life. 

To be fair I actually agree with you all, people who chase money will never be rich. I wasn't spoiling for a fight with anyone on this, just presenting a different point if view. I would argue that I'm not chasing money, just tryna build a sustainable business. I only take out what I need and I don't count the monthly takings except to keep an eye on the VAT threshold, instead I look at the total customer base. If all goes to plan next year I'll have a second van and two full timers to go with the two part timers I currently have, at that point I don't have to do all this anymore as other people will be doing it with me. Also, what else is there to do this year ?‍♂️

people are far too driven on chasing money and wanting what other people have flash cars and gadgets and so on
I have a family member who fits this description perfectly. This Christmas his kids will have £500 each spent on them. He constantly has new trainers, new phones, new cars etc etc. In fairness he doesn't earn what I do but he also isn't smart with it. Our family car is an 07 plate Ford C-Max, yes we could easily afford something nicer and a car each but why bother? It has low miles and has been reliable so far ***frantically searching for some wood to touch*** ?. Long term gain for short term sacrifice I reckon.

Back