Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Beware, don't feel this is quite right.

Doug

Had a call from Schools Supply Service Limited saying that due to covid they had lost some of their contractors and they had researched me an I fitted their eligibility factors. They wanted to offer me 55 private schools in my postcode. Several things about this didn't feel right and I should have cut it short straight away. They kept on about my accreditations - I don't have any or feel I need any, but they had checked them and liked them. They said that for some schools, I could charge £2000 per school and should be able to do it in 45 minutes. That's when I knew I should have cut it short earlier.

I received an email asking for £375 plus Vat for an 18 month contract. I did some research and found many saying it was a scam and one saying it had cost them a lot of money getting involved. I just felt to flag it as it didn't feel true to me. 
55 private schools? Don't think we have that amount in Scotland.

This has been doing the rounds for years along with the police book, fire service book and the latest one I have been getting phoned up about is people trying to sell me a placement in the Google maps box on page 1 of google.

All are scams.

I received an email asking for £375 plus Vat for an 18 month contract. I did some research and found many saying it was a scam and one saying it had cost them a lot of money getting involved. I just felt to flag it as it didn't feel true to me. 
Tell them when you get your 2 k job done in 49 muinits you will pay them the £375 then , they will hang up pretty quick , I had a similar thing a few years ago , about doing shopping malls , they hung up in the end , funny thing was one job they Were offering me I had already been doing for 5 years they didn’t know what to say then ?????

This has been doing the rounds for years along with the police book, fire service book and the latest one I have been getting phoned up about is people trying to sell me a placement in the Google maps box on page 1 of google.

All are scams.
Not been phoned up about the police service books for years now, any call I get now that isn't a local area code I don't even bother answering it and block the number straight away.

I had a call this week on my mobile and code was from Russia. Chap spoke in an Asian accent and found my old details for window cleaning when I cleaned windows. When I questioned the code from Russia he became very aggressive told me I was an idiot and it was an internet call. Could of lost it but calmly told him was not interested.

I had one about a year ago, contracts for all the local hospitals and health centres. I said I was interested and he started bleating on about being put in some book they use to find contractors and all my local places would contact me individually to  book me in.

I think my favourite scam was when they said they could sell me the domain name windowcleanerinstroud.co.uk super cheap. The chap had just retired blah blah blah. They were tryna charge £300 for this domain and I negotiated them down to £150 before asking them why I could register that domain name for 99p with my current provider ?

I had one about a year ago, contracts for all the local hospitals and health centres. I said I was interested and he started bleating on about being put in some book they use to find contractors and all my local places would contact me individually to  book me in.

I think my favourite scam was when they said they could sell me the domain name windowcleanerinstroud.co.uk super cheap. The chap had just retired blah blah blah. They were tryna charge £300 for this domain and I negotiated them down to £150 before asking them why I could register that domain name for 99p with my current provider ?
I forgot about the web domain one.

I had a guy phone me with a similar story and telling me that location and trade specific domains would guarantee to get me to the top of search engines.He wanted something like £500 for windowcleanerstevenage.co.uk I then explained to him I currently own that domain and its sitting on around page 4 on google.He hung up.

Any one that phones you out the blue promising the earth for an upfront fee will never deliver.

Evening All

Has anyone here had any dealings with a company called Schools Supplies Service LTD?

I had a call today from them offering me a contract for my postcode area to supply services (window cleaning, jet washing and gutter cleaning) to 40 private schools and nursery's.

The phone call seemed all legit, but then the information email was sent to me and I am now a bit dubious, mainly when they stated there is a £375 +VAT to "Secure the exclusivity rights" to my area.

They also say that if I was to take up their offer I would have an 18 month contract and that I would "pick and choose" the jobs I want eg if a job is too big I'd turn it down and they would pass it on to the closest contractor.

I would also quote on a job by job basis, to me this isn't how contracts work. My understanding with legit contracts is that I'd put in a quote and if successful I would win that job for the duration agreed length of time, not get the contract and then quote for the job.

As you can tell I have no experience with contracts as yet so I am hoping someone can give me advice about this company.

Many thanks

James

Thank you for your prompt responses.

And thanks for confirming my doubts.

Their address is literally 10-15 minute drive from me, I may "pay them a visit".

Again, many thanks for your prompt responses, I really appreciate it!

@Doug, I had exactly the same call today.

I found your post after putting up my own post about this and @High-tower kindly posting a link to this post.

The phone call I had seemed legit, I then had the email with more info and stating their fee of £375 +VAT ..... It was at this point I forwarded the email to my Mrs at home (I was out working) who did a quick look up about the company which brought back loads of poor reviews.

On the original call we arranged to have a follow up call tomorrow afternoon, I have just emailed them saying it is not in my company's interests to proceed with the offer and that they should remove my details from their system.

@Doug can I ask if you have had anymore correspondence from them?

Evening All

Has anyone here had any dealings with a company called Schools Supplies Service LTD?

I had a call today from them offering me a contract for my postcode area to supply services (window cleaning, jet washing and gutter cleaning) to 40 private schools and nursery's.

The phone call seemed all legit, but then the information email was sent to me and I am now a bit dubious, mainly when they stated there is a £375 +VAT to "Secure the exclusivity rights" to my area.

They also say that if I was to take up their offer I would have an 18 month contract and that I would "pick and choose" the jobs I want eg if a job is too big I'd turn it down and they would pass it on to the closest contractor.

I would also quote on a job by job basis, to me this isn't how contracts work. My understanding with legit contracts is that I'd put in a quote and if successful I would win that job for the duration agreed length of time, not get the contract and then quote for the job.

As you can tell I have no experience with contracts as yet so I am hoping someone can give me advice about this company.

Many thanks

James
Haha déjà vu

Back