Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Keep breaking WFP sections any tips ?

rafterys2003

Hi guys 

Just wanted to talk about water fed poles today and see what brands/models everyone is using. I'm using a water genie 27ft pole at the moment and have broken 3 sections this year. Always the upper thinner sections never the lower ones that break for me. Anyone have any tips with poles that are alot stronger or any tips on how to make them last longer ?

Thanks guys 

Some poles are more delicate than others the Gardiners clx and slx poles are bulletproof  never broken a section on either of them and they get some serious abuse over the years .

Last edited by a moderator:
The poles we use were not designed to close windows, just clean them. However, we do use them to close windows so we do sometimes break them. The first one I broke like this was a 3-4 yr old SL-X18. 

As you get to know your equipment you eventually get a feel for what it will and won't tolerate, but occasionally you will also likely push it too far and break something

My recommendation is the same as Part Timer. With windows known to be harder to close don't use the #1 section to close it. extend the pole from the #2 or 3 section. Also never push laterally on the pole when closing windows. If it won't close pushing toward the window, adjust the angle of your gooseneck to allow you to clean it in situ.

Okay thanks guys I'll remember to never close windows with the top section in future. I'm also going to be washing it out from grit etc regularly now which I never did before. So which should I get the gardiners clx or slx ? Or are they both really strong ? The slx is about 100 pound more but if it's alot stronger than the clx I'll get that.

I use a length of 8mm dowel and a small microfibre to clean out my poles. I disassemble the pole once a week in the wet weather and push the microfibre down the middle of each section with the dowel, except the #1 section. This gets out all the muck and black carbon dust that accumulates. I then wipe down the outside of the sections and reassemble the pole. I retape the sections as and when it needs it.

Better in terms of exactly what though ? section strength ? ease of use ? Weight ?

Thanks everyone for the help
What is ‘Better’ is probably very much up to the individual.

Though they are both hardwearing poles, of the two I prefer the less flexible and lighter SL-X poles to work with. I find the more flexible a pole is the more energy I waste working with it especially when fully extended.  Others though have found the extra flexibility of the CL-X range to be an advantage when cleaning certain properties.

Okay thanks guys I'll remember to never close windows with the top section in future. I'm also going to be washing it out from grit etc regularly now which I never did before. So which should I get the gardiners clx or slx ? Or are they both really strong ? The slx is about 100 pound more but if it's alot stronger than the clx I'll get that.
SLX  is a lot lighter and stiffer I've found. Wouldn't want to use my CLX all day I know that much. 

SLX  is a lot lighter and stiffer I've found. Wouldn't want to use my CLX all day I know that much. 
Clx isn’t that heavy I used to use one 8 hours a day no problem , if you think they are heavy you should have tried the poles from 15+ years ago ??????

I don't know why people keep using expensive poles to close windows. I almost never do. If a window is open I'll still clean it quite safely by making sure that I stay within the opening frame. If for any reason I can't, it simply gets left. All customers are notified the day before so any open windows are their responsibility. Neither do I remove plant pots etc from the front of patio doors etc.

I don't know why people keep using expensive poles to close windows. I almost never do. If a window is open I'll still clean it quite safely by making sure that I stay within the opening frame. If for any reason I can't, it simply gets left. All customers are notified the day before so any open windows are their responsibility. Neither do I remove plant pots etc from the front of patio doors etc.
I've said before extend the pole except 1st section and turn it upside down and push the window shut with the butt.

Damo taught me this years ago and I've never broken a section. 

Sometimes I even use the hole in the endcap to stick over the bottom corner of the window to get a good push on it not bending the pole sideways then.

You must be very rough on your gear ive used 

Clx 

Slx

Extremes 

Pheonix 

Only ever broke my extreme 1 and 2 sections and one slx section that was old pole that was closing a stiff window buy taping it shut never used the pole you are using tho so could be the pole! Get a slx see how you get on they last years and take hard abuse Daley 

Back