Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Right pole e and brush

Nick Mitton

I'm sure this question will have been asked but I feel everyone's situation is different. 

I'm looking to swap to wfp, I've had some great advice so far and looking for more. 

I currently clean approx 80 house's per week +bungalows and shops. All 2 story but may want to start doing odd one over conservatorys and maybe gutter cleans. What size pole? Carbon fibre composite or full carbon fibre. Looking at Gardiner range. 

Also want to continue doing sills, do I need sill brush, and seen brush bumper/guard to protect brush and frames.... Can this be done with one brush? Want to keep it simple. 

Thanks in advance for the advice ?

I'm sure this question will have been asked but I feel everyone's situation is different. 

I'm looking to swap to wfp, I've had some great advice so far and looking for more. 

I currently clean approx 80 house's per week +bungalows and shops. All 2 story but may want to start doing odd one over conservatorys and maybe gutter cleans. What size pole? Carbon fibre composite or full carbon fibre. Looking at Gardiner range. 

Also want to continue doing sills, do I need sill brush, and seen brush bumper/guard to protect brush and frames.... Can this be done with one brush? Want to keep it simple. 

I am just starting up. I've gone for 3 poles,  probably a bit over the top. But I've gone for SLX 22 and 30 . Also got a CLX 27 to use for spraying cleaning fluid and conny roofs etc. I got a few different brushes also from Gardiner, going by the brush guide on the site for what they designed for.

I am just starting up. I've gone for 3 poles,  probably a bit over the top. But I've gone for SLX 22 and 30 . Also got a CLX 27 to use for spraying cleaning fluid and conny roofs etc. I got a few different brushes also from Gardiner, going by the brush guide on the site for what they designed for.
Yeah been looking there too. Tempted by the 30ft full carbon then 2 brushes, every day sill brush and 1st clean one, not sure about rush bumper /guard 

Yeah been looking there too. Tempted by the 30ft full carbon then 2 brushes, every day sill brush and 1st clean one, not sure about rush bumper /guard 
I already got them. I got them all fitted with tubeless system,to save on hoses being everywhere.  I also got universal sill brushes in medium and stiff. Ultimate  26cm med/soft. Just need a flocked brush now ,for leaded windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already got them. I got them all fitted with tubeless system,to save on hoses being everywhere.  I also got universal sill brushes in medium and stiff. Ultimate  26cm med/soft. Just need a flocked brush now ,for leaded windows.
Was hoping to get away with one brush for daily use that will do all types of windows Inc leaded and do sills? Don't want to be swaping brushes every other house in fact I do quite a few that are leaded front and plain back

Speaking from experience I would recommend either a flocked brush or a soft brush for leaded windows.  DuPont bristles are good on leaded windows but you still need to use a light touch.  Most days I have around 10% leaded windows to clean so seldom use a flocked brush though I have one in my brush arsenal.  another worthwhile addition to you toolkit is the 'water through pad' that Gardiner's sell.  Its great on dirty first cleans, facias and soffits and glass

If you are cleaning just standard houses then a SLX 22  or even CLX-22 will do the job to go over conny roofs etc to get that bedroom window you never could when trad, I use a 22ft as my daily pole and manage just fine,

If you are cleaning just standard houses then a SLX 22  or even CLX-22 will do the job to go over conny roofs etc to get that bedroom window you never could when trad, I use a 22ft as my daily pole and manage just fine,

Thanks, thinking of using an Allround brush as need to do sills but only do half dozen leaded a week or is it worth getting lead brush and swapping it tho half the leaded are lead front but normal back? 

Thanks, thinking of using an Allround brush as need to do sills but only do half dozen leaded a week or is it worth getting lead brush and swapping it tho half the leaded are lead front but normal back? 
A brush is very personal thing we all have our own preference after spending £100's on brushes, I would buy two brushes this https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/ultimate-26cm-brush-medium-soft.html and if you fancy trying a sill brush maybe this https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/universal-sill-26cm-brush-medium-soft.html  I use an Ultimate as my daily brush as it's fairly light and also robust and I have used them since there release maybe 2 years ago, I can't comment on a sill brush as such as I have only tried the Xtreme ones and didn't like them, you don't need a flocked brush for leaded windows 

You are also going to be stumped on which jets to use as well, I would try 1.4mm pencil jets these will give a more powerful rinse and blast dirt from between the lower part of the frame and sill and some 100 degree fan jets to see how you get on with them both, a tip for you would also buy one of these Muc-Off Claw Brush I use one on first cleans and it gets the dirt out between the lower part of the frame and sill and will save you lots of water trying to flush all the crud and dirt out.

it doesnt matter what brush you use...in reality you can use any brush to clean leaded windows...its doesnt have to be a flocked brush but the bristles will drag a bit more using a stiffer brush so you have to be extra careful....

it doesnt matter what brush you use...in reality you can use any brush to clean leaded windows...its doesnt have to be a flocked brush but the bristles will drag a bit more using a stiffer brush so you have to be extra careful....
Yeah done some more research, not bothering with sill brush, been told have to be careful on lead as it can damage it. Gardiner do an all round brush, thinking of going with that? 

Yeah done some more research, not bothering with sill brush, been told have to be careful on lead as it can damage it. Gardiner do an all round brush, thinking of going with that? 
Who ever told you sill brushes can damage leads needs to give their heads a wobble. I’ve always used sill brushes for over 11 years since going WFP and have never damaged a leaded window 

Beware of "experts". In life in general, but on youtube in particular. Over 90% of instructional videos on yt are to some extent misleading. That's on just about every subject on there.

With leaded just be watchful, careful and gentle. Work lightly with the bristles just tickling. Don't over complicate the issue for yourself.

I've only ever used sill brushes. Most windows have sills. I don't want to have to keep re-setting the brush angle to do the sills as well as the top frames.

Beware of "experts". In life in general, but on youtube in particular. Over 90% of instructional videos on yt are to some extent misleading. That's on just about every subject on there.

With leaded just be watchful, careful and gentle. Work lightly with the bristles just tickling. Don't over complicate the issue for yourself.

I've only ever used sill brushes. Most windows have sills. I don't want to have to keep re-setting the brush angle to do the sills as well as the top frames.

So what's your go to brush? Was thinking Gardner super light medium mixed.... Looks like a good all rounder... At least on paper.... To start with? 

My maintenance brush for the last couple of years has been and still is the Gardiner Extreme Sill. It is a bit sparse looking on bristles. I had doubts about it at first but none at all now, as it cleans surprisingly well, is super lightweight and just glides through the work. The other brush I highly recommend is the Superlight Medium Mixed Sill Brush, as you mentioned. That's what I started with getting on for seven years ago. My son uses the SMMSB for all his work. I use it for rough new work.

Jets are a divisive subject as well. We only use fan jets.

My maintenance brush for the last couple of years has been and still is the Gardiner Extreme Sill. It is a bit sparse looking on bristles. I had doubts about it at first but none at all now as it cleans surprisingly well, is super lightweight and just glides through the work. The other brush I highly recommend is the Superlight Medium Mixed Sill Brush, as you mentioned. That's what I started with getting on for seven years ago. My son uses the MMSB for all his work. I use it for rough new work.

Jets are a divisive subject as well. We only use fan jets.
Why fan over pencil? Was going to try the 1.4 pencil

By all means try pencils, or whatever takes your fancy. I don't use them at all. I tried pencils for five minutes when I started and very soon thought " Nah! Not for me". I want a full brush width blade of water. Not, two streams of piddle. As I've said before "I'm cleaning windows with a brush that's touching them. Not trying to put out a campfire two yards away. I'm expecting the brush to do the majority of the work and the water to flush away the dirt. I'm not expecting the water to do the most of the work, like a pressure washer.

Like I said though" a very divisive subject, as you'll see. ?

By all means try pencils, or whatever takes your fancy. I don't use them at all. I tried pencils for five minutes when I started and very soon thought " Nah! Not for me". I want a full brush width blade of water. Not, two streams of piddle. As I've said before "I'm cleaning windows with a brush that's touching them. Not trying to put out a campfire two yards away. I'm expecting the brush to do the majority of the work and the water to flush away the dirt. I'm not expecting the water to do the most of the work, like a pressure washer.

Like I said though" a very divisive subject, as you'll see. ?
Which uses more water? 

I used pencil jets for over 12 years until @Davy G converted me, I would never go back to pencil jets now neither uses more water it's about the speed of the wfper getting through work which will only come with time with yourself.

Back