Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Too many choices

Hi all.

12 months ago i made a balls up and went for a cheap option WFP to clean FSG with. It was a aqua spray off ebay. Anyway 12 months on i need to buy again ?

ive read up on the topic to death on which brush exetra to buy.

im going for 27ft gardiner pole

the difference between a clx and slx is £70.... worth it?? I dont clean windows bit thinking i will one day. Is one better than the other for fsg? Slx stiffer?

Ive decided on the universal sill 26cm stiff brush. Like i said read up to death on the subject and everyone has different opinions, i figure ive done the last 12 months on a **** ebay brush so will be a improvement

right this is what im struggling with the other options....

ive selected the reinforced flexi hose.. but do i need a fitted valve? What the hell is a fitted valve?!?

and gooseneck?? WTF. There are millions of options under gooseneck.?‍♂️

sorry for the long post just want to get it right this time ?

thanks in advance for any advice

I would go for the slx it’s worth the extra especially for plastic cleans , 

goiseneck go for the normal plastic  resin neck it’s adjustable , get the quick lock version , and when you order a brush get the quick lock fitting for the brush they are only a couple of quid , pole hose we use the green pu  , you won’t need a valve if you are getting a univalve from exceed , but you will need ezy snap male end for your pole hose and a female for your microbore ime guessing you are using 6 mm. Microbore hose if so order the 6 mm ezy snap fittings . 

Thanks pjj thats awesome. I run off normal hosepipe and hozelock fittings off custys outside tap mate. Can i fit a univalve when running off a tap? 

I opted for reinforced hose cos im a bit of an animal ?? im always snaging on stuff.

Thanks pjj thats awesome. I run off normal hosepipe and hozelock fittings off custys outside tap mate. Can i fit a univalve when running off a tap? 

I opted for reinforced hose cos im a bit of an animal ?? im always snaging on stuff.
In my opinion, Just using tap water is an insult to a decent water fed pole and brush. So when you've cleaned the FSG's and have shite all over the windows how do you clean them to a spotless finish? 

In my opinion, Just using tap water is an insult to a decent water fed pole and brush. So when you've cleaned the FSG's and have shite all over the windows how do you clean them to a spotless finish? 
I dont mate to be honest with you, however i do explain to the customer (who has called me there to give a FSG Clean) that im not a window cleaner but i will clean there windows after finishing FSG to a cleaner standard than they were when i arrived... but not spotless as you say.  90% of them are suprised that i clean the windows after. 

I hear what youre saying though and it does bug me more than the customer, but im still a start up mate so baby steps and one day il be set up for window cleaning spotless. Even if its from a backpack.

You need one of these to go on your pole hose and the other end will fit on a hose lock fitting , I wouldn’t advocate using tap water on windows if you live in a high TDS area as you could get lime scale on the glass , your order looks ok to me ?

AB1D4E98-D029-49FF-A63B-AA4EA299A6E3.png

I dont mate to be honest with you, however i do explain to the customer (who has called me there to give a FSG Clean) that im not a window cleaner but i will clean there windows after finishing FSG to a cleaner standard than they were when i arrived... but not spotless as you say.  90% of them are suprised that i clean the windows after. 

I hear what youre saying though and it does bug me more than the customer, but im still a start up mate so baby steps and one day il be set up for window cleaning spotless. Even if its from a backpack.
With respect mate. Theres work, a customer for window cleaning just staring you in the face. Do you not have a spotless water filling station near you? 

There's a whole new business opportunity just waving at you 

Thanks pjj ? really appreciate your help

tds is 34ppm where i live. I do my own windows with it and no bother. That side of things will have to do for now.

I live out in the sticks mate, nearest spotless water station is 70ish miles away. 

But you are right. The amount of times i get asked if i clean windows is unreal. 

I prefer pressure washing to be honest, and push gutter clearing and FSG cleaning during winter months, well thats the plan anyway. Ordering gutter vac this week. Once all that pays for itself il look into pure water.

With that low a tds all you need is DI and a backpack. With your new brush you have most of what you need. Gardiners backpack is good.

Remember that each gutter or gfs clean you do you can 'include' a complete window clean, calc price in. Then when you are done you can ask if they would like a regular window clean for X every 4-6 weeks. OK so a single clean isn't as lucrative as a gutter or gfs clean but think each custy you get you will clean about 10 times a year!

With that low a tds all you need is DI and a backpack. With your new brush you have most of what you need. Gardiners backpack is good.

Remember that each gutter or gfs clean you do you can 'include' a complete window clean, calc price in. Then when you are done you can ask if they would like a regular window clean for X every 4-6 weeks. OK so a single clean isn't as lucrative as a gutter or gfs clean but think each custy you get you will clean about 10 times a year!
Great clear point.

The flipside could be, You clean their GFS and then in comes a window cleaner who does the job and then says to the customer he can do the GFS cheaper than you. Under cuts you and stills your work 

Great clear point.

The flipside could be, You clean their GFS and then in comes a window cleaner who does the job and then says to the customer he can do the GFS cheaper than you. Under cuts you and stills your work 
Im more than happy to lose work to someone who undercuts me, thats nature of business. 

Running off customers tap water my costs are lower than a window cleaner anyway, but i go in at a good price. If a windy is happy to work for peanuts then theres nothing i can do about that

Back