Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How often do you gutter clean?

Bongofish

Hello,

So just getting started with the gutter cleaning side of things to go along side window cleaning. I have my skyvac Atom now. Just wondering how often you guys genually get gutter cleaning jobs? 

Also if you don't mind me asking how long does it take you to do a normal semi detached style property? And wall ball park figures should I be looking for? 

Here's a picture of my house, 3 bedroom semi with a conservatory....any ideas on time and how much?

Thank you.... 

IMG_20201119_142511.jpg

How long did it take you to do your house?

OK so using the kit for first time you will be a lot slower, but how long do you think it might take you to do your house once you are used to your kit?

Remember that the length of time it takes depends on how blocked they are?

Gutter cleaning is a bit seasonal as some are just blocked with leaves etc. 

Frequency wise it all depends, if there are lots of trees near the gutters or the roof is north facing (no sun so moss grows then falls in gutter). I would guess maybe once a year maybe once every 2 years.

As for charging - some charge a standard charge others by the meter. By the meter a rough guess is 1m between the gutter fixing brackets. So from ground it's fairly quick to quote. Some have a minimum charge i.e.it always takes time to get ready to do a job - how long it takes to drive to custy, setup equipment, empty and clean your equipment and pack up - so make sure your min covers that time. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Normally window cleaning is a set time for like for like properties, gutter clearing isn't. A standard 3 bed semi with easy access, no tiles overhanging gutter, etc, is 45 minute tops from pulling up to pulling away. A 3 bed semi with poor access and full gutters, blocked downpipes, etc can take hours. One of the reasons why I don't believe in quoting per metre, and quoting blind.  

I do jobs that work out at less then a £1 a metre, I do a big job that has 2 miles of guttering for not much over a £1 a metre, but they have relatively good access and the first one I've been doing for 4 years and barely had to take anything out of them.

Down south your house is a £100+, in my area you would struggle to get much over £60, I don't do many in my area but do about 20 days a year down south doing them. I don't know your area price wise so can't comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to bother replys. There helpful. When I did mine it only took half an hour as nothing really came out so just put the skyvac in and ran it up and down the gutters a couple of times. 

I wasn't sure if quoting for gutter clearing included down pipes and blockages? As that surely can get tricky fast?...what do you guys yluse to unblock the down pipes? 

Thanks again....it's like starting window cleaning a over again ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the downpipes are blocked then the gutters don't work. The gutter vac should unblock the downpipe unless it's really badly blocked and if it is then you will probably have to get the ladders out and take the downpipe apart. If the downpipe is a soak away, stuck in the ground you either have to dig it out or, again, take the downpipe apart and pull it out of the ground. Easy way to find if this is the case is to tap the downpipe.

If the downpipes are blocked then the gutters don't work. The gutter vac should unblock the downpipe unless it's really badly blocked and if it is then you will probably have to get the ladders out and take the downpipe apart. If the downpipe is a soak away, stuck in the ground you either have to dig it out or, again, take the downpipe apart and pull it out of the ground. Easy way to find if this is the case is to tap the downpipe.
Jeeze, I'm all up for Cleaing someone's gutters but dismantling the downpipe seems like the next level ??

Could you also explain how to use the gutter Vac to unblock the pipe. Any special technique? 

Could you also explain how to use the gutter Vac to unblock the pipe. Any special technique? 
My special technique to do this is I stick the gutter vac pipe down the hole.

Jeeze, I'm all up for Cleaing someone's gutters but dismantling the downpipe seems like the next level
This will only be on rare occasions but happens the most on downpipes stuck in the ground. To avoid this, as I said, go round tapping the downpipes, those that feel solid and give off a dull thud, will more than likely need to be dug out or dismantled.

Thanks to bother replys. There helpful. When I did mine it only took half an hour as nothing really came out so just put the skyvac in and ran it up and down the gutters a couple of times. 

I wasn't sure if quoting for gutter clearing included down pipes and blockages? As that surely can get tricky fast?...what do you guys yluse to unblock the down pipes? 

Thanks again....it's like starting window cleaning a over again ?
If you have a camera then surveying gutters prior to agreed cleans is beneficial. 

Just be savvy that some customers may already know what their gutters look like. I mean there have been many cowboy jobs where the contractor claims to have pulled out 4 bin bags of moss etc when there was nothing there at the start.

Be honest work smart 

My special technique to do this is I stick the gutter vac pipe down the hole.

This will only be on rare occasions but happens the most on downpipes stuck in the ground. To avoid this, as I said, go round tapping the downpipes, those that feel solid and give off a dull thud, will more than likely need to be dug out or dismantled.
I know I'm sounding daft. But to put the gutter Vac down the hole, this must mean your on ladders and working from above the gutter. I was hoping the sky vac would void any reason to use ladders. 

Right, so I'm guessing not far down the down pipe then just as far as the extension lets you? As the bend will soon hit the guttering? 

View attachment 22429
It will only, usually, be blocked at the bend and the vac should reach that. I turn the tool round, tapered end inside the bend, when I go down the downpipe as it sits flush on the blockage and gives you a stronger grip. 

Hello,

So just getting started with the gutter cleaning side of things to go along side window cleaning. I have my skyvac Atom now. Just wondering how often you guys genually get gutter cleaning jobs? 

Also if you don't mind me asking how long does it take you to do a normal semi detached style property? And wall ball park figures should I be looking for? 

Here's a picture of my house, 3 bedroom semi with a conservatory....any ideas on time and how much?

Thank you.... 

View attachment 22428
Time wise 20-40 muinits including the conservatory price wise £65-80 to vac them all out  

I know I'm sounding daft. But to put the gutter Vac down the hole, this must mean your on ladders and working from above the gutter. I was hoping the sky vac would void any reason to use ladders. 
I think the best way to test a downpipe is a backpack of just tap water or a method of water release in the gutter. 

Get some water bombs 

I think the best way to test a downpipe is a backpack of just tap water or a method of water release in the gutter. 

Get some water bombs 
If you stick the pipe down the downpipe if it is blocked you can't hear or feel the suction. If it is clear you'll hear the air being sucked up or feel it, as long as you don't have the vac beside you.

If you have a camera then surveying gutters prior to agreed cleans is beneficial. 

Just be savvy that some customers may already know what their gutters look like. I mean there have been many cowboy jobs where the contractor claims to have pulled out 4 bin bags of moss etc when there was nothing there at the start.

Be honest work smart 
When I do gutter cleans I video the gutter runs, then once the job is complete I video the completed job.

Both videos are sent to the customer phone or email so the customer knows the job is completed properly. 

Customers like to see before after videos.

Back