Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much work is out there.??

carp boy

hi guys,

ive been on this forum a few weeks now and  to cut to the chase.

ive been working offshore for 25 years and to b honest ive had enough ,,, im sick of the travelling ...working with some ***** ,,,,being away from my family ....so ready to pack in after xmas and start window cleaning ,gutter clearing service..

how much work is out there ??? im not scared to chap doors ..approach people ,,, .have already joined several facebook community groups ready to advertise  .... flyers all done ... im very hungry ,,,just feel like complete change and working for myself .

thanks.

How many windows are there round your area, lots?

Have you ever had a leaflet come through your door offering window cleaning?

Every area is different but if you provide a good reliable service you should be fine. Be aware that it will take a lot of effort to get customers and your income will take a while to build so make sure you have at least 6 to 12 months of savings! It's hard work getting good customers, the easy bit is cleaning the windows.

hi guys,

ive been working offshore for 25 years and to b honest ive had enough ,,, im sick of the travelling ...working with some ***** ,,,,being away from my family ....so ready to pack in after xmas and start window cleaning ,gutter clearing service..

how much work is out there ??? im not scared to chap doors ..approach people ,,, .have already joined several facebook community groups ready to advertise  .... flyers all done ... im very hungry ,,,just feel like complete change and working for myself .

thanks.
There's more work than you can handle but you'll have to work hard to get it.

No more heli flights or immersion suits just glass and water 

Thanks.. Ive never had a flyer or anyone chap on my door.. Yes there's several cleaners about however doing some digging about there's a good few that are pretty ****.... Low pricing etc.. 

I'm financially secure and can take a hit on my income tor 6 months.. 

I think it depends on the area you live in ware I am there is tons of work and cleaners are few and far between , but some areas are saturated with cleaners best to try canvassing your area and see what response you get , also google window cleaners in your area this will give you some idear as well , good luck with it all .

hi guys,

thanks.
It could take you 2 years to get a well established window cleaning business with good reliable customers! But with hard work you be will able to have a reasonably income coming in in the mean time.  Make sure you price correctly from the off and set out what you expect from your customers at the begging, and this might help you weed out the time wasters.

In some area's it will be easier than others.

wish you the best of luck with it.

hi guys,

thanks.
There is plenty of window cleaning work for everyone. It's all about getting people to contact you, then it's all about showing them the value of your service. Marketing is the life blood of your business. 

Hope this helps, good luck out there.

Hard work don't scare me.. When u do 12 hr shifts every day for 3 weeks 40 hrs a weeks partiime.... 
The physical part of this trade is not hard part, it's the mental game that consists of all the back end work (scheduling, invoicing, accounting, marketing, follow up, weather.. ect)

Whereabouts are you exactly? I know you have put Norwich, the town itself and just south is pretty saturated with cleaners, but north of the city is pretty good. Especially out in north norfolk where there are lager houses and holiday homes. I know when I was in my old job quite a few people over Wroxham way were complaining that they couldnt find a window cleaner. If you're going WFP/pure water it is probably quite a good sell to the houses on the broads as theres no soaps and detergents being used that could upset the ecosystem. You can be the eco-friendly window cleaner?

The physical part of this trade is not hard part, it's the mental game that consists of all the back end work (scheduling, invoicing, accounting, marketing, follow up, weather.. ect)
And this..... This I find hardest, tracking payments, appeasing customers, planning days round very bad weather etc. Plenty of phone apps that can help with it, but if you're like me and cant stand prodding at  screen waiting for it to do something, then taking time to manage it on spreadsheets etc can be time consuming if not done right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robt100.

Im on the coast of Norwich. I live in gorleston...not many people have heard of it so put norwich as more peoe hear of it. I'm planning on going out of the main towns and more onto the outskirts..... 

Robt100.

Im on the coast of Norwich. I live in gorleston...not many people have heard of it so put norwich as more peoe hear of it. I'm planning on going out of the main towns and more onto the outskirts..... 
I think @HWCS is around there, he went from zero to busy in a relatively short time, with hard work. He might be able to advise about your area.

Robt100.

Just a bit of advice....

Time is money in this trade. Remember travel time and expenses affect your bottom line. Closer you stay to home and the more compact your round is the more money you and your business makes. 

Cheers for the mention @Part Timer, i dont know CarpBoys area work wise as its other side of the county, but id say it could be a decent area, quite a few large towns and villages, so with a bit of time and effort im sure a decent round could be established.

Not sure of saturation of window cleaners but i do know that Yarmouth which is quite a big place has quite a few, so possibly not an ideal town to start with.

hi guys,

thanks.
Depends on the location. If there are loads of Windies where you are then the work will be harder to come by, so you will have to travel more between jobs. If your area have few Windies you have a better chance of getting customers...then the it comes down to price, regularity and how good a job you do.

Totally agree with this,

@carp boy it's very different running a business compared to going to a job where the work is put in front of you and you get paid in full at the end of the month and holiday pay etc when off. 

I disagree....these days it's easy with window cleaning programs like cleaner planner to keep on top of admin.....the real struggle is getting the regular,reliable work in the first place...for me its took me many years to refine it into the great paying round it is today....then it's  a case of keeping it serviced and little refining tweaks here and there to keep it profitable....some guys struggle with motivation esp in winter....you need a strong self motivation to succeed in this game....

I disagree....these days it's easy with window cleaning programs like cleaner planner to keep on top of admin.....the real struggle is getting the regular,reliable work in the first place...for me its took me many years to refine it into the great paying round it is today....then it's  a case of keeping it serviced and little refining tweaks here and there to keep it profitable....some guys struggle with motivation esp in winter....you need a strong self motivation to succeed in this game....
As I said the back end of this trade is the harder part to deal with.

Like you said reliable customers = marketing,follow ups, customers relations. Weather = scheduling or rescheduling work because of harsh weather (I'm not talking a few rain drops or freezing temps) that all back end work.

As I said the back end of this trade is the harder part to deal with.

Like you said reliable customers = marketing,follow ups, customers relations. Weather = scheduling or rescheduling work because of harsh weather (I'm not talking a few rain drops or freezing temps) that all back end work.
its not hard to reschedule though........my missus has her own business too(shes an interior designer).....there is soooo much more to her job than mine!we ve got it really easy compared to a lot of other businesses for sure!

its not hard to reschedule though........my missus has her own business too(shes an interior designer).....there is soooo much more to her job than mine!we ve got it really easy compared to a lot of other businesses for sure!
For example:

Say for instance you schedule is full to compasity 5-6days a week and you have a quarterly clean on a large Resort that takes 3-4 days to complete and is $2-4k each clean and a winter storm bring in a ice storm that lays down a 1/8-1/4inch of ice on everything. Were do to you fit that into the schedule...

Every calendar year thing of this nature occurs throught the year.

I understand what your say about your wifes business but that's like comparing apples to oranges. She has a whole different set of circumstances that she deals with.

I like this trade alot. 

The back end of your business is so essential to have in place, no matter how much money you spend on tools to do a job your business will not succeed with out proper back end programs setup.

To the OP theres plenty of work out there, you just got to get out there get it...make your phone ring!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back