Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using customers electric

GarethC

Hi all, I have have just ordered GVS 3600 Gutter Vac, im really worried about tripping the custs electric, if I buy this extension lead will I be all good?

Screenshot_20201123-205855_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hi all, I have have just ordered GVS 3600 Gutter Vac, im really worried about tripping the custs electric, if I buy this extension lead will I be all good?

View attachment 22477
You'll benefit from having a few leads.

I personally make all my own cables. 10, 15, 20 metres using 2.5mm artic blue flex.

If using a wind up extension lead be sure to fully unwind it and lay it out on the ground and not coiled or laying in a pile as you'll melt it or potentially catch on fire with the increased resistance 

You'll benefit from having a few leads.

I personally make all my own cables. 10, 15, 20 metres using 2.5mm artic blue flex.

If using a wind up extension lead be sure to fully unwind it and lay it out on the ground and not coiled or laying in a pile as you'll melt it or potentially catch on fire with the increased resistance 
Would you say its worth buying this extension lead then?

Would you say its worth buying this extension lead then?
If you can use a screwdriver Stanley knife and make solid secure connections then yes. 

Most extension leads are to long and too thin using 1.5mm cross section flex.

Get down to screwfix, toolstation, Or your nearest electrical wholesalers and buy some 2.5mm Cross section Artic blue flex, some heavy duty MK 13 amp plugs and single gang trailing sockets and make a few leads.

I'm no tight ar5e but opt for making my own kit because my quality control and standards are so much better 

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 22477
I have a gutter vac similar to that one and have been cleaning apartment blocks with it for years! never had a problem yet,. Just make sure you wait a little bit between switching each motor on. don't switch them all on at once. Been using 40ft extension leads

I have a gutter vac similar to that one and have been cleaning apartment blocks with it for years! never had a problem yet,. Just make sure you wait a little bit between switching each motor on. don't switch them all on at once. Been using 40ft extension leads
What extension lead do you use? Thanks for your reply ? 

Ideal so I dont have to spend £72 on a extension lead, is your gutter vac 3600watts?
If I spent £70 on a factory made extension lead I'd expect the conductors to be made of Gold and have a glow in the dark coating on it. Was that for a reel up lead? 

Sorry to revive this thread but I’m wondering what lead to use with a Sky Vac Atom. 1600w. I’ve read a few of these threads and I want to make sure I’m safe. I don’t fancy making my own extension leads. I’m thinking around 25m should be long enough. I know the advice is to always unwind fully, which I get, and use a RCD. Most extension leads are 1.25mm diameter. Would you guys opt for one thicker ?

Sorry to revive this thread but I’m wondering what lead to use with a Sky Vac Atom. 1600w. I’ve read a few of these threads and I want to make sure I’m safe. I don’t fancy making my own extension leads. I’m thinking around 25m should be long enough. I know the advice is to always unwind fully, which I get, and use a RCD. Most extension leads are 1.25mm diameter. Would you guys opt for one thicker ?
Ime no electrician but would phone spinner clean for  their advice 

First off as you say unwind the extension cable. Second the longer the extension cable the more the voltage will drop.

If you can get a 1.5mm2 extension cable then I would go for that even though the Atom is only pulling 1600watts. That said at 25m it's not that long, as you get a decent brand not a budget special with at least 1.25mm2 cable then you should be fine. Ideally get one with a switch at the reel end so you can switch off the vac before unplugging it. Always safer to switch something of at socket then unplug especially out door stuff that might well be in a damp area. Some have better sockets more suited to damp working. 

Something like : https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-13a-2-gang-20m-cable-reel-240v/79417

or https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-13a-4-gang-25m-cable-reel-240v/54615

Back