Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water Tank Modification

johnny bravo

if i was to purchase another 500 litre tank  where woulld i be  ask for 2 yes two  1 inch  Bsp outlets to place 2 taps tofit into tank 

Instant 2 man set up.    2 taps   lead from there .  2 seperate outlets 

Easy peasy 2 man set up.

when i not in use just turn that tap off.

Would any comanies when ordering actually do this , do you think 

im going to look into it     Simple no messing 

There are many many people on here who run 2 man systems from a single 3/4inch outlet. 

Remember that the 'standard' SHURflo pumps have 1/2inch connectors then you use 8mm or 6mm hose!!

A 3/4inch outlet is more that adequate to supply 2 people.

I think you need to start at the basics and investigate where your issue is. 

Now you have your single man system working again do a few tests. i.e. swap hose reels over and see if the second reel works as well as first (thus proving the 2nd hose reel is all good). Then swap the pumps over (so you prove the 2nd pump is good). Then swap pump controller etc. Once you have proved all components in a single system add a Tee. Check things work with Tee capped off. Then add the second pump and see if you can run the 2nd pump on it's own. If that's OK try both pumps at once. Hopefully that should enable you to see where the issue is.

I really think you need to just do a basic fault analysis and you will work out where your issue and not need to change much at all. A 2 man system is just a duplicate of a single man system with a Tee after the tank outlet.

if i was to purchase another 500 litre tank  where woulld i be  ask for 2 yes two  1 inch  Bsp outlets to place 2 taps tofit into tank 

Easy peasy 2 man set up.

im going to look into it

You'll need a normal tank or undrilled tank with either 1/2 or 3/4 bulkhead fitting to add a secondary outlet 

Example 

https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/more/window-cleaning-tanks/500-litre-window-cleaning-tank-upright-baffled.html

Last edited by a moderator:
i meant the  hole screw size the same as you get from a purefreedom baffled tanks  these are 1 inch thread to fit your tap,    then you fit your 1/2 inch  garden hose to tap.

There are many many people on here who run 2 man systems from a single 3/4inch outlet. 

Remember that the 'standard' SHURflo pumps have 1/2inch connectors then you use 8mm or 6mm hose!!

A 3/4inch outlet is more that adequate to supply 2 people.

I think you need to start at the basics and investigate where your issue is. 

Now you have your single man system working again do a few tests. i.e. swap hose reels over and see if the second reel works as well as first (thus proving the 2nd hose reel is all good). Then swap the pumps over (so you prove the 2nd pump is good). Then swap pump controller etc. Once you have proved all components in a single system add a Tee. Check things work with Tee capped off. Then add the second pump and see if you can run the 2nd pump on it's own. If that's OK try both pumps at once. Hopefully that should enable you to see where the issue is.

I really think you need to just do a basic fault analysis and you will work out where your issue and not need to change much at all. A 2 man system is just a duplicate of a single man system with a Tee after the tank outlet.
i understand this Ched.   my first attempt.      got a couple of fittings wrong.   ill plan it more next attempt.      

wfp1.jpg

took other reel out so i can get my work done.   Strainer kept dripping from top  for some reason.   ordered new one.    Time to put all **** back into van now haha 

Easy peasy 2 man set up.

im going to look into it     Simple no messing 
As has been said a 3/4 outlet will run two pumps fine we put a T EE on the outlet and took the feed of either end and it works a treat , reduce each end to 1/2 inch going to the pumps 

As has been said a 3/4 outlet will run two pumps fine we put a T EE on the outlet and took the feed of either end and it works a treat , reduce each end to 1/2 inch going to the pumps 
 I think you're right, Ched and Pjj. I think what's happened is that, in the rush to get everything going for a two man system there's been a "speed wobble" in the assembly which has led to a degree of panic (been there, done that ?). I did the same when I went from a single operator to a two man outfit. I over complicated and overcooked it. I got in a right flap for a while.

I fitted a 1/2" tee in the line from the tank to split the supply. I fitted a gate valve on each of the two branches and had no end of air problems. It turned out that as I had so many joints a tiny amount of air was getting sucked in between them all and was causing airlocks. I removed the valves, doubled up on the hose clips and remade the joints after heating the pipes to soften them. I fitted a nylon non-return valve just above the tank outlet level. Then the nylon tee-piece above that. No valves in the line now. Just the Shurflo pumps, one on each of the two branches. I very rarely get a problem with the system now.

i understand this Ched.   my first attempt.      got a couple of fittings wrong.   ill plan it more next attempt.      

View attachment 22513

took other reel out so i can get my work done.   Strainer kept dripping from top  for some reason.   ordered new one.    Time to put all **** back into van now haha 
Looks like a scrapheap challenge project for people with no d.i.y skills ?

P

any pics davy.       you are right.     i may place my pump along the left hand side of vayn    get a good flow from tank tap 
Hi Johnny, I've been trying to upload a photo for you. For some reason it's not working. I had the same problem a while back when someone asked for a photo of the slight modification I did on my manual reels. I never got to the bottom of it, so I'm still not able to download photos.

Anyway, for the water supply from my tank to both pumps, it's very straight forward. 1/2" hose from tank outlet, nylon non-return valve in line about 6"above the floor with 2 hose clips on each end. Nylon tee-piece a short distance above the NRV with 2 clips on each of the three branches.

Front pump (side workstation and reel) about two feet (face height mounted on bulkhead) above the tank and tee-piece at the near side side door.

Second pump (back workstation and reel) mounted inside back doors on the right hand side at face height when stood outside
van, for ease of access.

Very simple and reliable set-up.

pics eem to go on  if taken by phone then saved to pics on comp.
I don't use a computer. I don't get on with them.

Tis all that using a mouse thingy to move a cursor whas'name round a big screen. And when I look for the cursor thing again it's hiding in a different part of the screen entirely from where I left it, and the mouse has left the flaming mat again and is sliding round the furniture. Makes no sense to me. ?I can't be doing with it. I don't think computers will catch on. ? Like I said, I used to be able to post photos straight from my phone. ??

Thanks  thats really assuring  that will boost my confidence  to get it done
Always best to have job done proppa, yes I was diy for years mostly when I had my tank/L200 with a double bulkhead and rear seats for a tank to try and get through, when I switched to my van back in 2017 I did have a strapped in tank for 12 months and I was getting nervous travelling around as van is like a tin can and will crumple like one if a truck rear ends you, I felt so much better once I had my PF system fitted with a bolted in tank

It really was weight off, one bad accident beyond your control could change your life and your familys life forever, no one really thinks about the what if but I have plenty, as far too many idiot's on the roads these days treating the roads like a race track 

Back