Changing resin/TDS

Cris78

Hi guys, I'm fairly new so please excuse the basic questions. What the max TDS acceptable for wfp before you would change the resin?

Also how long would you expect resin to last before changing it? I use about 350 - 400l a day 3 days a week.

thanks

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cris78

• Part Timer

• Iron Giant

• Apw1210

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was thinking the same, also he is either spending more time down south or him and @steve garwood are pen pals 

Looks like the sediment filter needs changing 😃

Do you use an RO system as you'll be eating resin like crazy?

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Cris78 said:

Hi guys, I'm fairly new so please excuse the basic questions. What the max TDS acceptable for wfp before you would change the resin?

Also how long would you expect resin to last before changing it? I use about 350 - 400l a day 3 days a week.

thanks

The resin question depends on your tap TDS. I've used water at 12ppm, didn't know as I was filling and washing at the same time, on a 3 monthy wash and got no complaints.

Usually change resin when TDS gets to 5ppm

24 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

The resin question depends on your tap TDS. I've used water at 12ppm, didn't know as I was filling and washing at the same time, on a 3 monthy wash and got no complaints.

Usually change resin when TDS gets to 5ppm

Thanks, my tap TDS is around 240 so pretty hard

12 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

Do you use an RO system as you'll be eating resin like crazy?

I do yeah, I’ve got an old ionics system in the van. I changed my resin around 5-6 weeks ago but noticed the TDS creeping back up now. 
i flush the system every week. The guy I bought the van off said the filters were changed under a year ago I think

2 minutes ago, Cris78 said:

I do yeah, I’ve got an old ionics system in the van. I changed my resin around 5-6 weeks ago but noticed the TDS creeping back up now. 
i flush the system every week. The guy I bought the van off said the filters were changed under a year ago I think

Have you checked the riser pick up tube is seated correctly and you've got a clean rubber neck seal on your DI 

3 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

Have you checked the riser pick up tube is seated correctly and you've got a clean rubber neck seal on your DI 

Sorry to sound think but what is the riser pick up tube? I didn’t change the seal when I changed the resin so perhaps should check that 

2 minutes ago, Cris78 said:

Sorry to sound think but what is the riser pick up tube? I didn’t change the seal when I changed the resin so perhaps should check that 

The riser tube is the bit that screws into the top of the vessel and goes to the bottom of it 

16 minutes ago, Cris78 said:

Resin should last months if you've got an R/O system, can you put up a photo so we can see what you are playing with?

3 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Resin should last months if you've got an R/O system, can you put up a photo so we can see what you are playing with?

With a tap TDS of 240 if he’s di  only it will only last weeks , if he has an RO it could be that the membrane is shot , and that’s why it’s heavy in resin 

42 minutes ago, Cris78 said:

Check the water TDS after your R/O and before the DI. If this isn't below 10, 15 absolute max, then your membrane needs replacing. Also have you checked your tap TDS lately, as a rule I check it at least once a week, as this can fluctuate a great deal as well.

29 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Sorry it’s not a great pic I can take a better one tomorrow. Behind the reel are two or three other filter tubes  

Im not sure what size the DI vessel is but it isn’t huge so maybe 5 or 7l

ive not checked my tap tds for a while but it usually is around 240

AB291580-C180-4889-91E6-1FF3FD1DDFBC.thumb.jpeg.9c503803ed3cf4bc81061d9ae255b257.jpeg

O.k that's nothing like mine, checking the TDS before the DI is good advice as it will give you an idea of the health of the R/O. Did it come with operating instructions? Are you settng the product to waste ratio correnctly?

1 minute ago, Martyn said:

O.k that's nothing like mine, checking the TDS before the DI is good advice as it will give you an idea of the health of the R/O. Did it come with operating instructions? Are you settng the product to waste ratio correnctly?

No the chap I bought it off just said to open the waste valve ever so slightly on each fill then once a week open the value up fully for around 20 mins or so to give the system a flush. 
I assume to check the tds before resin I just unplug the hose that goes into the resin and take water from there?

1 hour ago, Cris78 said:

Yes buddy. Just make sure the rubber O ring is clean and sests correctly. Sometimes helps 

5 minutes ago, Cris78 said:

I assume to check the tds before resin I just unplug the hose that goes into the resin and take water from there?

Yes, just have a bucket under to stop flooding van

1 minute ago, Cris78 said:

No the chap I bought it off just said to open the waste valve ever so slightly on each fill then once a week open the value up fully for around 20 mins or so to give the system a flush. 

Yes take the water from there, if you check the tds as soon as you start running water it will read very high and gradually drop off to a stable level over a minute or two, just keep testing till you get a consistent result.

Would be worth contacting the manufacturer to see if they will provide you with instructions.

The valve should be set so that there is more waste water than product water, maybe 60/40.

6 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Yes take the water from there, if you check the tds as soon as you start running water it will read very high and gradually drop off to a stable level over a minute or two, just keep testing till you get a consistent result.

Would be worth contacting the manufacturer to see if they will provide you with instructions.

The valve should be set so that there is more waste water than product water, maybe 60/40.

Hmm I don’t think there is that much then. It’s just a trickle that comes out