Jump to content

Changing resin/TDS


Cris78

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, I'm fairly new so please excuse the basic questions. What the max TDS acceptable for wfp before you would change the resin?

 

Also how long would you expect resin to last before changing it? I use about 350 - 400l a day 3 days a week.

 

thanks

Link to post
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Cris78

    15

  • Part Timer

    11

  • Iron Giant

    6

  • Apw1210

    4

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was thinking the same, also he is either spending more time down south or him and @steve garwood are pen pals 

Looks like the sediment filter needs changing 😃

Do you use an RO system as you'll be eating resin like crazy?

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Cris78 said:

Hi guys, I'm fairly new so please excuse the basic questions. What the max TDS acceptable for wfp before you would change the resin?

 

Also how long would you expect resin to last before changing it? I use about 350 - 400l a day 3 days a week.

 

thanks

The resin question depends on your tap TDS. I've used water at 12ppm, didn't know as I was filling and washing at the same time, on a 3 monthy wash and got no complaints.

Usually change resin when TDS gets to 5ppm

Link to post
24 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

The resin question depends on your tap TDS. I've used water at 12ppm, didn't know as I was filling and washing at the same time, on a 3 monthy wash and got no complaints.

Usually change resin when TDS gets to 5ppm

Thanks, my tap TDS is around 240 so pretty hard

Link to post
12 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

Do you use an RO system as you'll be eating resin like crazy?

I do yeah, I’ve got an old ionics system in the van. I changed my resin around 5-6 weeks ago but noticed the TDS creeping back up now. 
i flush the system every week. The guy I bought the van off said the filters were changed under a year ago I think

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Cris78 said:

I do yeah, I’ve got an old ionics system in the van. I changed my resin around 5-6 weeks ago but noticed the TDS creeping back up now. 
i flush the system every week. The guy I bought the van off said the filters were changed under a year ago I think

Have you checked the riser pick up tube is seated correctly and you've got a clean rubber neck seal on your DI 

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

Have you checked the riser pick up tube is seated correctly and you've got a clean rubber neck seal on your DI 

Sorry to sound think but what is the riser pick up tube? I didn’t change the seal when I changed the resin so perhaps should check that 

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Cris78 said:

Sorry to sound think but what is the riser pick up tube? I didn’t change the seal when I changed the resin so perhaps should check that 

The riser tube is the bit that screws into the top of the vessel and goes to the bottom of it 

Link to post
16 minutes ago, Cris78 said:

I do yeah, I’ve got an old ionics system in the van. I changed my resin around 5-6 weeks ago but noticed the TDS creeping back up now. 
i flush the system every week. The guy I bought the van off said the filters were changed under a year ago I think

Resin should last months if you've got an R/O system, can you put up a photo so we can see what you are playing with?

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Resin should last months if you've got an R/O system, can you put up a photo so we can see what you are playing with?

With a tap TDS of 240 if he’s di  only it will only last weeks , if he has an RO it could be that the membrane is shot , and that’s why it’s heavy in resin 

Link to post
42 minutes ago, Cris78 said:

i flush the system every week. The guy I bought the van off said the filters were changed under a year ago I think

Check the water TDS after your R/O and before the DI. If this isn't below 10, 15 absolute max, then your membrane needs replacing. Also have you checked your tap TDS lately, as a rule I check it at least once a week, as this can fluctuate a great deal as well.

Link to post
29 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Resin should last months if you've got an R/O system, can you put up a photo so we can see what you are playing with?

Sorry it’s not a great pic I can take a better one tomorrow. Behind the reel are two or three other filter tubes  

Im not sure what size the DI vessel is but it isn’t huge so maybe 5 or 7l

ive not checked my tap tds for a while but it usually is around 240

AB291580-C180-4889-91E6-1FF3FD1DDFBC.thumb.jpeg.9c503803ed3cf4bc81061d9ae255b257.jpeg

Link to post

O.k that's nothing like mine, checking the TDS before the DI is good advice as it will give you an idea of the health of the R/O. Did it come with operating instructions? Are you settng the product to waste ratio correnctly?

 

Link to post
1 minute ago, Martyn said:

O.k that's nothing like mine, checking the TDS before the DI is good advice as it will give you an idea of the health of the R/O. Did it come with operating instructions? Are you settng the product to waste ratio correnctly?

 

 No the chap I bought it off just said to open the waste valve ever so slightly on each fill then once a week open the value up fully for around 20 mins or so to give the system a flush. 
I assume to check the tds before resin I just unplug the hose that goes into the resin and take water from there?

Link to post
1 hour ago, Cris78 said:

Sorry to sound think but what is the riser pick up tube? I didn’t change the seal when I changed the resin so perhaps should check that 

Yes buddy. Just make sure the rubber O ring is clean and sests correctly. Sometimes helps 

Link to post
5 minutes ago, Cris78 said:

I assume to check the tds before resin I just unplug the hose that goes into the resin and take water from there?

Yes, just have a bucket under to stop flooding van

Link to post
1 minute ago, Cris78 said:

 No the chap I bought it off just said to open the waste valve ever so slightly on each fill then once a week open the value up fully for around 20 mins or so to give the system a flush. 
I assume to check the tds before resin I just unplug the hose that goes into the resin and take water from there?

Yes take the water from there, if you check the tds as soon as you start running water it will read very high and gradually drop off to a stable level over a minute or two, just keep testing till you get a consistent result.

Would be worth contacting the manufacturer to see if they will provide you with instructions.

The valve should be set so that there is more waste water than product water, maybe 60/40.

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Yes take the water from there, if you check the tds as soon as you start running water it will read very high and gradually drop off to a stable level over a minute or two, just keep testing till you get a consistent result.

Would be worth contacting the manufacturer to see if they will provide you with instructions.

The valve should be set so that there is more waste water than product water, maybe 60/40.

Hmm I don’t think there is that much then. It’s just a trickle that comes out 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.