Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Changing resin/TDS

Cris78

Hi guys, I'm fairly new so please excuse the basic questions. What the max TDS acceptable for wfp before you would change the resin?

Also how long would you expect resin to last before changing it? I use about 350 - 400l a day 3 days a week.

thanks

Hi guys, I'm fairly new so please excuse the basic questions. What the max TDS acceptable for wfp before you would change the resin?

Also how long would you expect resin to last before changing it? I use about 350 - 400l a day 3 days a week.

thanks
The resin question depends on your tap TDS. I've used water at 12ppm, didn't know as I was filling and washing at the same time, on a 3 monthy wash and got no complaints.

Usually change resin when TDS gets to 5ppm

Do you use an RO system as you'll be eating resin like crazy?
I do yeah, I’ve got an old ionics system in the van. I changed my resin around 5-6 weeks ago but noticed the TDS creeping back up now. 
i flush the system every week. The guy I bought the van off said the filters were changed under a year ago I think

I do yeah, I’ve got an old ionics system in the van. I changed my resin around 5-6 weeks ago but noticed the TDS creeping back up now. 
i flush the system every week. The guy I bought the van off said the filters were changed under a year ago I think
Have you checked the riser pick up tube is seated correctly and you've got a clean rubber neck seal on your DI 

Sorry to sound think but what is the riser pick up tube? I didn’t change the seal when I changed the resin so perhaps should check that 
The riser tube is the bit that screws into the top of the vessel and goes to the bottom of it 

Resin should last months if you've got an R/O system, can you put up a photo so we can see what you are playing with?

Resin should last months if you've got an R/O system, can you put up a photo so we can see what you are playing with?
With a tap TDS of 240 if he’s di  only it will only last weeks , if he has an RO it could be that the membrane is shot , and that’s why it’s heavy in resin 

Check the water TDS after your R/O and before the DI. If this isn't below 10, 15 absolute max, then your membrane needs replacing. Also have you checked your tap TDS lately, as a rule I check it at least once a week, as this can fluctuate a great deal as well.

Sorry it’s not a great pic I can take a better one tomorrow. Behind the reel are two or three other filter tubes  

Im not sure what size the DI vessel is but it isn’t huge so maybe 5 or 7l

ive not checked my tap tds for a while but it usually is around 240

AB291580-C180-4889-91E6-1FF3FD1DDFBC.jpeg

O.k that's nothing like mine, checking the TDS before the DI is good advice as it will give you an idea of the health of the R/O. Did it come with operating instructions? Are you settng the product to waste ratio correnctly?

O.k that's nothing like mine, checking the TDS before the DI is good advice as it will give you an idea of the health of the R/O. Did it come with operating instructions? Are you settng the product to waste ratio correnctly?
 No the chap I bought it off just said to open the waste valve ever so slightly on each fill then once a week open the value up fully for around 20 mins or so to give the system a flush. 
I assume to check the tds before resin I just unplug the hose that goes into the resin and take water from there?

Sorry to sound think but what is the riser pick up tube? I didn’t change the seal when I changed the resin so perhaps should check that 
Yes buddy. Just make sure the rubber O ring is clean and sests correctly. Sometimes helps 

No the chap I bought it off just said to open the waste valve ever so slightly on each fill then once a week open the value up fully for around 20 mins or so to give the system a flush. 
I assume to check the tds before resin I just unplug the hose that goes into the resin and take water from there?
Yes take the water from there, if you check the tds as soon as you start running water it will read very high and gradually drop off to a stable level over a minute or two, just keep testing till you get a consistent result.

Would be worth contacting the manufacturer to see if they will provide you with instructions.

The valve should be set so that there is more waste water than product water, maybe 60/40.

Yes take the water from there, if you check the tds as soon as you start running water it will read very high and gradually drop off to a stable level over a minute or two, just keep testing till you get a consistent result.

Would be worth contacting the manufacturer to see if they will provide you with instructions.

The valve should be set so that there is more waste water than product water, maybe 60/40.
Hmm I don’t think there is that much then. It’s just a trickle that comes out 

Latest Posts

Back