Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thinking of starting up, looking for advice.

Sam5805

Recently lost my job and I have 4 kids to provide for so I've been thinking of starting a window cleaning round. My living expenses are pretty low at the minute so I can start slowly and let things build over time.

However I have absolutely 0 experience and about £200 quid in the bank (got a ladder though) I'm thinking of traditional cleaning because that's all I can afford.

Should I just build a website, get some flyers and cleaning kit and give it a go? Ive got the work ethic and realize that I'm only gonna reap what I sow, I'm not expecting it to be easy.

Really just looking for any general tips on getting started etc

Thanks

Sam

what've you got to lose?

you'll have to shop around for to buy the gear you need to get started. Make sure you get some public liability insurance as a priority it should only be £60-70. 

Learn to spell realise properly as we're not american.?

Don't worry about a website yet.

Knock on some doors and maybe get a few jobs.

Then knock on some more.

Then knock on even more.

You can see the way this is going lol.

Keep chapping doors until you have loads of work.

Don't worry about the covid nonsense as long as you stand a fair bit away from the door after knocking you'll be fine.

Try canvassing bungalows you won’t need much in the way of ladders for theses it might help until you get some regular money coming in that’s how I started off . 
Hardly any round here.  I'd have a round of about 5 houses.

This may not go down well but if you are not used to working from ladders do a course. I realise it's an extra expense but how valuable is your life? Working off ladders isn't the safest thing to do and the potential consequences of falling off can be life changing or even deadly!!! 

I am not trying to start an argument here but to the OP, if you look at H&S rules then working off a ladder is only allowed when there is no alternative!!!! OK so I am simplifying things but your life is precious especially to your family. Don't take risks you don't need to.

This may not go down well but if you are not used to working from ladders do a course. I realise it's an extra expense but how valuable is your life? Working off ladders isn't the safest thing to do and the potential consequences of falling off can be life changing or even deadly!!! 

I am not trying to start an argument here but to the OP, if you look at H&S rules then working off a ladder is only allowed when there is no alternative!!!! OK so I am simplifying things but your life is precious especially to your family. Don't take risks you don't need to.
I agree that ladder safety is paramount but also you are wrong about hse rules.

If you use a ladder and are in 1 position for less than 20 minutes that is 100% fine and not a problem.

We are never in 1 spot that long.

I've done my share of trad from 1991 until 7 years ago and now wfp but it does my swede in all these people who spout hse rules and insurance etc to sell wfp to customers.

Nothing in the rules says you can't use ladders to clean windows. 

Recently lost my job and I have 4 kids to provide for so I've been thinking of starting a window cleaning round. My living expenses are pretty low at the minute so I can start slowly and let things build over time.

However I have absolutely 0 experience and about £200 quid in the bank (got a ladder though) I'm thinking of traditional cleaning because that's all I can afford.

Should I just build a website, get some flyers and cleaning kit and give it a go? Ive got the work ethic and realize that I'm only gonna reap what I sow, I'm not expecting it to be easy.

Thanks

Sam
how can your living expenses be low with 4 kids?

just go and knock doors in your local area.....maybe offer to clear their gutters out too if your comfortable up a ladder as its the perfect time to clear them ......... nearly all the leaves have fallen off the trees now.....

20201126_171308.jpg

I agree that ladder safety is paramount but also you are wrong about hse rules.

If you use a ladder and are in 1 position for less than 20 minutes that is 100% fine and not a problem.

We are never in 1 spot that long.

I've done my share of trad from 1991 until 7 years ago and now wfp but it does my swede in all these people who spout hse rules and insurance etc to sell wfp to customers.

Nothing in the rules says you can't use ladders to clean windows. 
Without wanting to be controversial the HSE web site states “ if a safer alternative is available it should be employed “ having spoken the the HSE  with my Fireservice hat on they told me that there view is that wfp is a safer alternative to using a ladder , ladders arnt banned but if you have an accident and the HSE investigate you will probably find yourself in the soup especially if you employ , there was a case a few years ago where a window cleaner died using a ladder on a property owned by the royal family the company got fined over 300 k , Ime not anti ladders they do have there place but this is a grey area . 

Thanks

Sam
Sam

My suggestion since your responsible for 4 young ones.

I would suggest find a job (in the field you where in) and at the same time knock doors for window cleaning. 

Your family is counting on you to provide.

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks

Sam
Good afternoon.

Starting traditional window cleaning in winter with ladders in my opinion is risky biscuits.

You may or may not have experience in ladder use however hanging onto one by your index finger and pinky toes whilst slinging a squeegee around on wet treads will only end one way.. A&E 

It is the cheaper less effective method of cleaning in my opinion and I say that as I use both but by the time you've got £150+ of kit plus public liability insurance your already in the red from your projected budget.

Forget the glitz and glam of a website, Facebook, Google, local publications and flyers will be good enough.

Make sure you know how to use a squeegy properly, it's easy to get started with no real skill or knowledge (I did) but that will limit your earning potential. The right tool and the ability to use it will make all the difference.

Fortunately window cleaning is a great business that you can start with very little money, good luck.

Make sure you know how to use a squeegy properly, it's easy to get started with no real skill or knowledge (I did) but that will limit your earning potential. The right tool and the ability to use it will make all the difference.

Fortunately window cleaning is a great business that you can start with very little money, good luck.
Yeah.. I had proper training.

"This is how you clean a window.. copy me"

"Good.. keep up if you want the job"?

Back