Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Flyers/Leaflets - What Do You Guys Put In Them?

ttompk

Just about to start off doing windows, was wondering what you guys put in them?

I was thinking "TEXT 123456789 And we will give you a call to discuss prices"

Or just dropping the prices in the leaflet to save all that trouble?

Curious what you guys do, let me know ?

Thanks!

I would put something like "contact me by text/phone on xyz for a no obligation quote", if you've got email add that in somewhere.

Thanks!
Window cleaning would be useful as mobile bikini line waxing may look abit stupid 

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks!
I'm just starting also.  I'll be going round to see what's what, cant see how you can give a price without seeing the job. Windows may not have been cleaned for 1 or 2 years. 

I'm just starting also.  I'll be going round to see what's what, cant see how you can give a price without seeing the job. Windows may not have been cleaned for 1 or 2 years. 
Also I'll be knocking doors, if no answer they get a flyer. Think it's best to talk to people and then look around the property . Then give price for job. 

Thanks!
I get that you are starting out, but if you honestly don't know what to put in a flyer, do you really think you should be running a business? I know this sounds harsh but it's a sodding leaflet.... A leaflet... I'd sit down and have good long hard think if this is the correct thing for you to be doing

Yeah that is true, I have heard that some people charge by how many bedrooms the house has as they usually have a similar amount of windows? Not sure whats best to do. I guess you can just google earth the address also 

Yeah that is true, I have heard that some people charge by how many bedrooms the house has as they usually have a similar amount of windows? Not sure whats best to do. I guess you can just google earth the address also 
Tbh I wont go the Google earth route. Best to get out ,meet prospective customer and go from there. 

I have done my own ,will just print off when needed. Just put on them what services you are offering, phone number ,email address. Then if anyone replies, go round and give them a quote,  first clean could be a lot more than a maintenance clean, the customer may only want a 1 off clean , things like that, better to be face to face I think. Yes may take a bit of your time, but it's all part of starting up I think. 

Don't put pricing on flyers as you'll lose your discretionary offers.

A flyer without advertises your business, contact details & trade. And then you create a point of contact when a potential customer calls you to enquire.

All you need is: 

Your business name 

Phone number 

Email 

Services 

And free quotations 

Some jobs may not be the same as others plus you can use your discretion to charge more or less without undermining yourself.

I offer British armed forces and thin blue line discounts 

If your going to drop flyers/leaflets,  your probably better off knocking on doors, have a business card in your hand. Get the potential customers attention. If no answer drop a flyer. (Yep I've been watching Green pro on YouTube) . Have a look on there. Green pro Ltd,  A E Mackintosh. 

Other cleaner's experience in our area report that leaflets also have a very poor take up percentage generally. Unless your leaflet timing coincides with a cleaner who has stopped coming, retired etc. then your take up percentage is less than 1%.

The old fashioned way of looking for business was door knocking and customer referrals. Customer referrals has been our biggest growth area by far over the years.

Nowadays the younger new cleaners seem to pin their business hopes on Facebook and having a website with a good rating. That's all beyond me.

One of our customers had a nail and beauty 'bar' working from home. She had a Facebook page where she promoted new products and kept a running commentary of each day's activities and included any empty appointment slots. Her business promotion seemed to focus on her existing clientele who knew her name and her address. I could never fathom out how she expected to attract new customers who had never heard of her. I'm sure some new customers came in from word of mouth, but she did very little to put her name out there with other forms of advertising.  I've never seen a advert in any local newspaper etc.

One of the local window cleaners also does carpet cleaning. He regularly advertises in our local town newspaper along with other trades like plumbers, electricians and painter and decorators. With all the advertising he is still more busy with window cleaning. IMHO one of his downfalls is that he advertises pricing.  This means potential customers could have already made up their minds without even speaking to him. Potential customers switch off when they see hall carpets cleaned from £xx etc. The word from means the price will be higher as £xx is the lowest.

My hit rate with flyers was 4%, haven't advertised in a paper for over twenty years, it's too expensive and attracts ? jobs.

Our work comes from recommendation, website, Facebook and vehicle signwriting.

If you design the leaflet right then you can get good returns.  I've not done any all year due to the virus, didn't want to be slated on facebook for spreading the virus via leafleting.  I have just started delivering again and have delivered around 1,600 in the last 3 weeks, although I didn't do any last week so delivered them in 2 weeks.  

So far this has resulted in one £20 every 4 week clean done, another 3 scheduled with first clean premium these being £100, £50 and £40, gutter cleans done 3 jobs total £220 another 2 booked at £100 and £120 and also a conservatory roof at £150.  So that's an extra £95 of regular windows each 4 weeks and a £800 increase on the months takings, and I've still got quotes coming in and still got 400 leaflets to deliver.

I've now designed another leaflet to target a different type of customer, it's got more of a direct approach on it.  My other leaflet was just an information leaflet advertising all the services I offer.  This new one is designed to catch all them desperately looking for a window cleaner for Christmas.

This is the thing with leaflets though, you have the opportunity to sell yourself and your services, not just once but time and time again.  You need to think of it like getting your name out there through repetition, but also mix it up a bit.  Posting the same leaflet over and over to the same addresses isn't really trying is it?  In my opinion you have to try different types of leaflet, not just colours and the look of it but the information you put on there.  Like my new one doesn't mention anything other than window cleaning, it's super simple but I'm hoping stands out.  

You've got to try different things, even the fonts and paper thickness can portray a different image of yourself.

A classic example of this is mens deodorants and toiletries, have a look at the lettering, it's bold sharp edges to portray that manly look.  Now look at the womens toiletries, they have more soft lettering, lots of swirly writing, softer colours, all to portray that feminine look.  

So image is everything and you have a split of a second to grab the attention and then get across the message and image you want.

If you design the leaflet right then you can get good returns.  I've not done any all year due to the virus, didn't want to be slated on facebook for spreading the virus via leafleting.  I have just started delivering again and have delivered around 1,600 in the last 3 weeks, although I didn't do any last week so delivered them in 2 weeks.  

So far this has resulted in one £20 every 4 week clean done, another 3 scheduled with first clean premium these being £100, £50 and £40, gutter cleans done 3 jobs total £220 another 2 booked at £100 and £120 and also a conservatory roof at £150.  So that's an extra £95 of regular windows each 4 weeks and a £800 increase on the months takings, and I've still got quotes coming in and still got 400 leaflets to deliver.

I've now designed another leaflet to target a different type of customer, it's got more of a direct approach on it.  My other leaflet was just an information leaflet advertising all the services I offer.  This new one is designed to catch all them desperately looking for a window cleaner for Christmas.

This is the thing with leaflets though, you have the opportunity to sell yourself and your services, not just once but time and time again.  You need to think of it like getting your name out there through repetition, but also mix it up a bit.  Posting the same leaflet over and over to the same addresses isn't really trying is it?  In my opinion you have to try different types of leaflet, not just colours and the look of it but the information you put on there.  Like my new one doesn't mention anything other than window cleaning, it's super simple but I'm hoping stands out.  

You've got to try different things, even the fonts and paper thickness can portray a different image of yourself.

A classic example of this is mens deodorants and toiletries, have a look at the lettering, it's bold sharp edges to portray that manly look.  Now look at the womens toiletries, they have more soft lettering, lots of swirly writing, softer colours, all to portray that feminine look.  

So image is everything and you have a split of a second to grab the attention and then get across the message and image you want.
That's interesting. Will have a closer look at those adverts in future.

Leaflet proof: 

Window cleaning services 

Lasts 72 hours and leaves your dry and smelling fresh 

We provide a roll on service to your door and will not mark your clothing 

Haha 

I get that you are starting out, but if you honestly don't know what to put in a flyer, do you really think you should be running a business? I know this sounds harsh but it's a sodding leaflet.... A leaflet... I'd sit down and have good long hard think if this is the correct thing for you to be doing
Do you not think you're being a bit hard?

If you don't have anything nice to say why bother replying?

Do you not think you're being a bit hard?

If you don't have anything nice to say why bother replying?
I'm not defending his comment however I have seen on another platform someone who was obviously starting out comment on a post with the following: 

I changed my carrier path recently and starting out window cleaning,

It's easy, I had the money but the window cleaning pages tell you exactly what kit you need, how to best use it and also how much to charge.

Unfortunately we live in a society where the internet aids research and is the modern day thesaurus.

There are alot of people now day's that lack intuition, common sense and the ability to do things on their own without the need of being spoon fed or constant guidance.

I personally have friends who are in their mid forties who can't wire a plug or prepare and cook a basic meal.

This is not specifically aimed at any one person however it's an honest evaluation of the world we live in. 

Asking for clarification is one thing but asking someone to effectively provide you with your marketing material is another. 

What I mean is if someone is starting out then surely they have carried out a bit of research to see what a 'trade' entails.

I wonder if it's going from employed to self employed that's the difference. i.e. being employed you are given tasks to complete. Where as being self employed you have to have initiative to actually do something not wait for a job or task to be handed to you.

Self employment is a very different ball game no matter what trade you are undertaking. It's not just the 'trade' it's every aspect of a business from marketing, accounts, branding, logistics, customer support, purchasing to name but a few that you have to master. You have to make every decision no one else can make it for you although if you present an idea then I am sure lots of people will provide guidance.

This is not a pop at the OP just the people that expect to be given a set of instructions. There are people out there who will allow you to buy a set of instructions but they are usually sold as franchises.

There are alot of people now day's that lack intuition, common sense and the ability to do things on their own without the need of being spoon fed or constant guidance.

I personally have friends who are in their mid forties who can't wire a plug or prepare and cook a basic meal.
Says it all really.

Back