Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Showa 282 replacements

Oli

As some of you will know I’ve been a long time advocate of the showa 282 and used them for the last couple of years. I went on Gardiners to add a new pair onto an order but they’ve sold out of my size so I went on the hunt for an alternative and came across these on Amazon at less than half the price

2CC717F0-4248-4E2D-91C0-36474B3A7E10.png

They’ve arrived today and look very similar in style but I guess the test will be this week when I use them. The sizing is a bit bigger however, I’m an XL in the showa so I’ve ordered the same in these but they feel larger

image.jpg

image.jpg

As some of you will know I’ve been a long time advocate of the showa 282 and used them for the last couple of years. I went on Gardiners to add a new pair onto an order but they’ve sold out of my size so I went on the hunt for an alternative and came across these on Amazon at less than half the price

View attachment 22571
Do they give you stinky cheesey hands though?

I'm going to try a pair of Crewsaver sailing gloves that have been kicking about in my kayaking gear for three or four years. They have open-ended thumbs and forefingers, are easy to put on and take off and they seem tactile yet tough. I suppose they'd need to be for sailing and ropework. I don't wear gloves normally but early last week my hands were numb with the cold and I struggled a bit. I spent a lot of full days on jackhammers and whacker plates on roadworks in the 80s and 90s. It damaged the circulation in my fingers to a degree.

For kayaking in really cold conditions I wear pogies (a type of mitten/gauntlet that is fixed to the paddle shaft). Pogies wouldn't work for pole use though.

I'm going to try a pair of Crewsaver sailing gloves that have been kicking about in my kayaking gear for three or four years. They have open-ended thumbs and forefingers, are easy to put on and take off and they seem tactile yet tough. I suppose they'd need to be for sailing and ropework. I don't wear gloves normally but early last week my hands were numb with the cold and I struggled a bit. I spent a lot of full days on jackhammers and whacker plates on roadworks in the 80s and 90s. It damaged the circulation in my fingers to a degree.

For kayaking in really cold conditions I wear pogies (a type of mitten/gauntlet that is fixed to the paddle shaft). Pogies wouldn't work for pole use though.
My hands get really cold there’s no way I could wear open ended gloves. There were days last winter I wore glove liners in my Showas!

I'll give them a try and see how I get on. It's only the tips of the thumb and forefingers that will be exposed. I think they'll work fine. I only need the very slightest thermal insulation to allow me to work or kayak in really cold weather. Perhaps a dozen days in a year normally that I'll wear anything on my hands. It has to be exceptionally cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll give them a try and see how I get on. It's only the tips of the thumb and forefingers that will be exposed. I think they'll work fine. I only need the very slightest thermal insulation to allow me to work or kayak in really cold weather. Perhaps a dozen days in a year normally that I'll wear anything on my hands. It has to be exceptionally cold.
I never bother with gloves..

Sometimes I swap my shorts for trousers though?.

More often now I'm getting older. 

I use Gul kayaking gloves all the time for WFP and trad. And have spare for kayaking when I'm not working 

I use Gul kayaking gloves all the time for WFP and trad. And have spare for kayaking when I'm not working 
I guess they'd be neoprene though. I don't get on with neoprene gloves. Too restrictive for my taste?. I like pogies for kayaking. I have full contact, feel and grip with the paddle shaft. I can pull my hand out to use the safety equipment: tow-line, pump, vhf and stuff. Most importantly, in the event of a failed roll I'd be able to feel the release tape on the spraydeck for a bailout.

For pole work, similar issues with feel and freedom. We're done in most jobs within a few minutes and back in the van. Getting gloves on and off and trying to collect and put away payments would be very frustrating and slowing.
Neoprene gets incredibly sweaty as well.

I'll see how I get on with the sailing gloves. Probably won't need them more than a handful of times, I'm hoping. ?

I guess they'd be neoprene though. I don't get on with neoprene gloves. Too restrictive for my taste?. I like pogies for kayaking. I have full contact, feel and grip with the paddle shaft. I can pull my hand out to use the safety equipment: tow-line, pump, vhf and stuff. Most importantly, in the event of a failed roll I'd be able to feel the release tape on the spraydeck for a bailout.

For pole work, similar issues with feel and freedom. We're done in most jobs within a few minutes and back in the van. Getting gloves on and off and trying to collect and put away payments would be very frustrating and slowing.

I'll see how I get on with the sailing gloves. Probably won't need them more than a handful of times, I'm hoping. ?
They are yes, However I had a few pairs professionally coated with a nano hydrophobic coating by a friend who works at a military clothing manufacturer 

Get hot water Davy you won’t need any gloves ?????

Get hot water Davy you won’t need any gloves ?????
I have it heated to 60~65c measured temperature in the tank. ? We're not generally long enough on most jobs to prevent the pole cooling down a bit before the next one. Fifteen minutes is a long job for us on big houses. Like I said though: I very rarely need gloves. ?

Or just man up ?.

I'm ok as long as my feet are warm.. the rest of me doesn't feel it.

Sometimes I look at my hands and they've gone blue lol.
Flaming cheek!?And you needing your feet kept warm.?

Last week was the first time I can remember in years that my hands were almost too numb to turn the ignition key. ☺️

https://www.justgloves.co.uk/Work-Gloves/Cold-Work-Gloves/UCI-KoolGripreg-Arctic-Thermal-Gloves

gl101-xl_web3.jpg

I've been wearing these.  They are waterproof and have really good grip, like the grip your pole hose gets when it gets stuck on a car tyre.  Only downside is that it's hard to move your fingers but I've got used to using them with the pole.  I wear nitriles underneath, I usually suffer from cold hands at this time of year but with these I've been getting too warm and having to take them off for a bit.  Rather be too warm than to cold though.  £4.95 +vat well worth it.

Latest Posts

Back