Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Conservatory roof pricing

NewGuy

Hi

I know there isn't an industry "standard" for pricing of cleaning conservatory roofs.  However, I have seen some figured bandied about on the site regarding prices and I feel I'm grossly under charging here.

So many customers ask me if I can do their roofs while I'm there doing windows, and I charge on my hourly rate and estimate the time to clean.  For good regular customers, I price a little lower. 

When I clean with the WFP, I include the frames and all the uPVC on the roof.  I factor in the extra time for glass roof but always seem to under-estimate the the time!

So please, it would be interesting to gauge your guide price on small, medium and large conservatory roofs using just the WFP (not the full restorative type).

Thanks

Small glass roof starts from £65 ,( takes around an hour )polycarbonate start from £50 , prices go up from there into the hundreds depending on size but we always do the whole conservatory as dirt from the roof is bound to get on it somewhere so the above price would be plus the normal charge for the glass 

I think charging on hourly rate is fine otherwise u can rip people off. If you get a conservatory roof that only has 4 or 5 panes I can't see how u could charge £50-60 when it may take you 20 minutes

First thing I'd say from my perspective is : forget about "conservatory roofs". For me it's the full external soapwash. I wouldn't take on a job washing a car roof. Who would? We charge to make a general minimum of £100 per hour for an empty and soapwash from the top down. We aim for £2 per minute for two us. Mostly at least £70 for a small conservatory. We're running a professional business not bob a job and we price accordingly. I'd expect that pretty much everyone on this forum would be the same.

Tip: Don't just do it with clear water, get it looking nice and soapy. If the customer is home, spread some of the wet soapy gunge from the roof and under the gutter onto the windows and spread it around before washing it off. This shows the customer how much dirt you're actually washing out. Then wash everything out very thoroughly with tap water.

Finally wash the glass with purefied, collect your payment and move on.

I think charging on hourly rate is fine otherwise u can rip people off. If you get a conservatory roof that only has 4 or 5 panes I can't see how u could charge £50-60 when it may take you 20 minutes
The customer is paying for our expertises and use of equipment not just time , that costs money , they have a choice have it done or don’t have it done but the price is the price , it will cost more to do a roof than a window it’s more technical work so price is higher . 

I think it was Greenpro that said £10 per panel and I've just used that, it's worked very well tbh.  That's £10 whether it's the corner triangular pieces or the longer rectangular pieces in the middle.  I do the roof with degreaser, clear the gutters, clean the outside of the gutter and finish doing all the sides and doors if it has them.  I have one that has very long rectangular panels, I just doubled the price per panel.  I rarely get people saying no to it, if fact I can't remember the last time they said no.

If one side is difficult to access then I'll price that side extra, usually just doubling that side.  So a £90 job turns into say £120 if it's got a difficult side.  

If it's glass I just price it like velux windows, although they are probably less than 1 in 20 around here so not common.

I aim to get £50 per hour for extras but quite often if it's a £150 job then I'll just allocate half a day and take my time, have a brew and a natter.  So maybe a few regular windows in the morning and then allocate the afternoon doing a roof.   

Hi

I know there isn't an industry "standard" for pricing of cleaning conservatory roofs.  However, I have seen some figured bandied about on the site regarding prices and I feel I'm grossly under charging here.

So many customers ask me if I can do their roofs while I'm there doing windows, and I charge on my hourly rate and estimate the time to clean.  For good regular customers, I price a little lower. 

When I clean with the WFP, I include the frames and all the uPVC on the roof.  I factor in the extra time for glass roof but always seem to under-estimate the the time!

So please, it would be interesting to gauge your guide price on small, medium and large conservatory roofs using just the WFP (not the full restorative type).

Thanks
Typical newbie mistake!we ve all done it!??....

I aim for more than my hourly rate window cleaning as it's harder work and takes me away from my easy,regular work...it all depends how the access is and how dirty it is.....I try and charge an hourly rate of between £60-£80 cleaning them on my own...I know how long they take because I've cleaned hundreds of them over the years....I very rarely get the job as most people think I'm too expensive these days....suits me as I cant be arsed with them unless I'm earning well out of them.....

Wow, thanks guys.  I seriously need to review my prices!

Do you differentiate between:

1) just giving the glass/plastic a quick wipe down, or

2) doing a thorough and proper clean?

I do. I no longer take on "Can you just give it a quick wipe over please?" I took a couple on in my early days. A quick going over on a conservatory roof for £5 or £10. I realised and regretted my mistake very quickly but I still do two out of loyalty. I definitely won't ever be caught like that again. For one thing, on a proper wash you know to do a thorough clean. With a once over, it's hard to decide the finish line.

Number 1 is now off the menu. Number 2 is their only option. They either take it or they don't. Learn by your mistakes, but learn from ours as well. ?

Last edited by a moderator:

We only work to one standard that’s do the job properly or we don't do it at all , the old saying if a jobs worth doing it’s worth doing well comes to mind 

All add-ons is a straight no from me I now use two different windies for all my add on’s.

First thing I'd say from my perspective is : forget about "conservatory roofs". For me it's the full external soapwash. I wouldn't take on a job washing a car roof. Who would? We charge to make a general minimum of £100 per hour for an empty and soapwash from the top down. We aim for £2 per minute for two us. Mostly at least £70 for a small conservatory. We're running a professional business not bob a job and we price accordingly. I'd expect that pretty much everyone on this forum would be the same.

Tip: Don't just do it with clear water, get it looking nice and soapy. If the customer is home, spread some of the wet soapy gunge from the roof and under the gutter onto the windows and spread it around before washing it off. This shows the customer how much dirt you're actually washing out. Then wash everything out very thoroughly with tap water.

Finally wash the glass with purefied, collect your payment and move on.
Could I ask what soap your using and how you apply it? Also does the soap make a big differnce, as Ive done about 12 conservatory roofs now with just pure water and never had a problem, but always liked the idea of lathering it all up leaving it to soak for 5 minutes and then washing it all off and watching it come clean. 

Also how do you apply the soap? I'm imagine some kind of sno foam machine to cover full roof? 

My charges for conservatory roofs vary. Depending if it's a one off it they want them done monthly or 8 weeklyfor one off cleans my minimum is £50 for easy access small conservatory. And the most I've done a roof for is £140 for a large (easy access) conservatory....still only took me 2 hours. 

I do think it's important to think about the full conservatory. With every roof I do includes all the conservatory in luding the gutter getting a clean round the conservatory too. Litterally everything from top to bottom. I want the customer to come out and go WOW. 

IMG_20201128_112658.jpg

IMG_20201128_112020.jpg

Could I ask what soap your using and how you apply it? Also does the soap make a big differnce, as Ive done about 12 conservatory roofs now with just pure water and never had a problem, but always liked the idea of lathering it all up leaving it to soak for 5 minutes and then washing it all off and watching it come clean. 

Also how do you apply the soap? I'm imagine some kind of sno foam machine to cover full roof? 
Virosol or ubik 2000, about 1-8 mix

Just use a pump up sprayer from Wilkos. Piece of doddle ?

We use a mixture of Chemex Superplus, water and Fairy Liquid. No particular ratio. I mix to a strength depending on the state of the job to be done. Applied through a Gardiner backpack on a trolley. I spray the whole unit with special consideration for the top, as that soap will run down and spread anyway. Lather it in. Leave it for a few minutes. Go back again and work methodically from the top down with a Medium Mixed Sill Brush. (this is the same brush that was used for the application) giving another quick blast of the mix when needed to keep the work nice and wet. The difference it makes is the same as using soap in any washing. Speed, thoroughness and finish. The customers like to see the work getting a good lather. Same as when you see the cowboys getting a shave in the old Westerns. Any sprayer will probably do. The reason I use a backpack and a nice trolley is to help sell the dream. Same as any advertising. When I quote a soapwash job, I tell the client that we carry a soapwash system in the van. When we do the job we place the trolley in view of the customer's lounge window if we're working at the front, and kitchen or lounge window when we're at the back. A bright looking backpack on an aluminium trolley helps sell the dream (modest as that dream is).

It's a bit like Amstrad Stereos years ago. They were impressive looking systems at the time. Big casings with lots of kn.bs  and dials.  Inside... mostly empty with a few of the cheapest components Alan Suger could get away with to make it work. The big casings with ***** and dials were part of his advertising. The trolley is part of mine.

I think charging on hourly rate is fine otherwise u can rip people off. If you get a conservatory roof that only has 4 or 5 panes I can't see how u could charge £50-60 when it may take you 20 
If you price yourself @  per hour your never going to be in buisiness just working a busy job .  It's not ripping people off if they wanted to save money they could do it themselves . 

Latest Posts

Back