Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Preventing freezing water in hose from filter system to reservoir

ryan31688

Evening all,

We have a bit of an unusual setup at our base, we have a large van that can't drive up to wear our filter system is — so we have approx. 50 metres of hose running from our filter system to an outfill tank that stores our pure water. Then we can pump water from the outfill tank to another reservoir permanently  in our van.

As the tempreature gets colder we're concerned that any water left in the hose after refilling between the filter system and the outfill tank will freeze — does anyone have a similar issue and can offer advice on how to solve it? We're thinking of getting a foot pump to manually force any water out but would rather hear any suggestions that are a little less labourious! 

Evening all,

We have a bit of an unusual setup at our base, we have a large van that can't drive up to wear our filter system is — so we have approx. 50 metres of hose running from our filter system to an outfill tank that stores our pure water. Then we can pump water from the outfill tank to another reservoir permanently  in our van.

As the tempreature gets colder we're concerned that any water left in the hose after refilling between the filter system and the outfill tank will freeze — does anyone have a similar issue and can offer advice on how to solve it? We're thinking of getting a foot pump to manually force any water out but would rather hear any suggestions that are a little less labourious! 
Quite simple, an empty hose won't freeze and simple steps to insulate your system will prevent freezing 

I pump my water from storage tank to van tank via s sub pump and 30m of hose once van tank is filled sub pump gets lifted out of the tank and placed on a shelf, then I lay a 25ltr water container on the floor and drain any water left into the container which is usually about 20ltrs I am on slight incline so it drains almost completely out on it's own the rest I just raise the hose to empty out what's left.

Evening all,

If you are processing water directly from your r/o into your 'outfill' tank, then I presuming you are using 1/2" pipe.  I'm also presuming this hose is fixed to a fence or wall.

If this is a correct assumption then I doubt you are going to blow the excess water out with a foot pump. You might have better joy with a small compressor with a tank.

I would also consider insulating the hose but include a run of trace wire inside the insulation. Trace wire is used in multistory buildings where water supply pipes are mounted in box section on the outside of the building.

There is also the option of running a temporary hose hooked up out of the way of being a trip hazard and wind it onto a hose reel (petal hose reel with wheels) and bring it inside each night.

I pump my water from storage tank to van tank via s sub pump and 30m of hose once van tank is filled sub pump gets lifted out of the tank and placed on a shelf, then I lay a 25ltr water container on the floor and drain any water left into the container which is usually about 20ltrs I am on slight incline so it drains almost completely out on it's own the rest I just raise the hose to empty out what's left.
I have a 10 meter length of transfer hose to fill the van. I uncouple the hose at the garage door and walk the transfer hose above my head so I empty the hose into the tank. When the hose is empty I coil it up and put it away. I estimate that draining the hose into the van's tank is another 12 liters not wasted.

One of the other cleaners uses a length of 3" lay flat pipe which I estimate is about 50 m. He drains that pipe into the road each time he fills his tank. I can't image how much pure water he has wasted in the past 12 years he has cleaned windows wfp.

I have a 10 meter length of transfer hose to fill the van. I uncouple the hose at the garage door and walk the transfer hose above my head so I empty the hose into the tank. When the hose is empty I coil it up and put it away. I estimate that draining the hose into the van's tank is another 12 liters not wasted.

One of the other cleaners uses a length of 3" lay flat pipe which I estimate is about 50 m. He drains that pipe into the road each time he fills his tank. I can't image how much pure water he has wasted in the past 12 years he has cleaned windows wfp.
Not too bad with mine, usually a couple of litres max. I have about 20 foot of hose from sub pump to van tank. What i do, when van tanks nearly full, unplug the sub pump, then hold pump up and let excess water drain back into water butt, then lift out pump and put on water butt lid on the ground. Then i go to the van tank, and roll the transfer hose back up, towards the water but and pump, during this, about a litre or two comes out into the water but lid, which i tip back into the water but.

I used to dump mine in the past, then thought better of it on average 320 litres a week for me and that would almost fill my 350ltr tank, he must have wasted 10,000's litres 

I used to dump mine in the past, then thought better of it on average 320 litres a week for me and that would almost fill my 350ltr tank, he must have wasted 10,000's litres 
It must be. It runs down the road and to the drain at the bottom of the cul de sac. Sad really as the neighbours view it as a waste of precious water. Not only that but it runs down the road past a row of car's front drivers doors, so numerous people get into their cars with wet shoes.

It must be. It runs down the road and to the drain at the bottom of the cul de sac. Sad really as the neighbours view it as a waste of precious water. Not only that but it runs down the road past a row of car's front drivers doors, so numerous people get into their cars with wet shoes.
Could be a H&S issue if someone slips on any ice that's formed from his 'waste'!

Could be a H&S issue if someone slips on any ice that's formed from his 'waste'!
Exactly! But some don't listen even when you point it out to them. Nothing has happened in the past 12 years so why should it happen now? If the weather is extremely cold then he doesn't fill his van or go out. His customer base in very much inland where temperatures are colder than on the coast.

We are on the North East coast so tend to get away with extremely cold weather as we are influenced by the North Sea (except for 2010/2011.) That same North Sea also influences our summers, so we tend to get colder weather where those west of the A1 have warmer weather.

The coldest I have ever experienced the weather was the winter of 1999 when I was based in Reading. That was even colder than the weather here in 2010/11.

The coldest I have ever experienced the weather was the winter of 1999 when I was based in Reading. That was even colder than the weather here in 2010/11.
I remember that winter too. I lived in Kent (near Brands Hatch) and worked in Farnborough Hants. So M26 M25 A3 every day. I remember trying to get home one night on M25, when it was snowing heavily, weaving in and out or artics that were jack-knifing. I was mad thinking back... I was in a Golf GTi mk2 16v that had a Turbo Technics conversion, so pushing 200bhp through front wheels, I can still remember the feelings trying to keep momentum and timing getting past the sliding wagons. I should have just stayed at work and kipped their. I also had a few times where I had to winch the car up the drive to get onto the road! That was a bad winter.

It's nice being on the West coast here, nice mild winters ? 

Thanks for the tips guys — so the hose is indeed fixed in place and actually goes up and over an archway so disconnecting it or leaving it to run down an incline and empty aren't going to be an option. Spruce — can you reccomend any compressors and/or insulatiuon that would do the job? Thanks for all your help

Back