Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Want to make own water

Matt-s

I’d like to start making my own water at some point in the near future and to have the tank and all the equipment in my back garden and in a shed of adequate size. Only problem is my outdoor tap is at the front of my house and I don’t have a water source at the back unless I get a tap fitted somehow which I’m not sure I will be able to do. Is there a way round this? or am I best off getting it installed in my van I live in a close that has car park at the back and front so I don’t have my own drive but can get close enough to my property that I could run a hose into my van or maybe I could run a hose into my back garden via the side alley to make the water in the back garden. Don’t know what to do for the best but any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Appreciate it’s hard to give the best advice without pictures just wondered if anybody else has faced an obstacle like this.?

I'd find a way to get a water supply to the back of the house. Almost certainly a way. Perhaps speak to a plumber. You can't beat processing and storing at base. You need to do plenty of thinking in advance : electricity supply, processing, ease of maintenance, storage, transfer of water to van, frost prevention ; before you get too far along. So easy to make a mistake.

I'd find a way to get a water supply to the back of the house. Almost certainly a way. Perhaps speak to a plumber. You can't beat processing and storing at base. You need to do plenty of thinking in advance : electricity supply, processing, ease of maintenance, storage, transfer of water to van, frost prevention ; before you get too far along. So easy to make a mistake.
Yes all planning for future as not quite there yet. I did ask a plumber if it’s possible to fit an outside tap and he said something about maybe being able to link one up from the upstairs bathroom this was back in summer when he nipped round to do another job. I plan on having a insulated shed made aswell big enough for it all to go in but I’ll probably still wrap everything up when it’s in there I reckon. I have an electricity supply from the conservatory but I do use my tumble dryers on that but I can just unplug them when needed I guess.. I can get my van right up to back fence for filling will just need the right length filling hose... good to know there’s ways round it anyway! Cheers 

Just get a plumber to fit an outside tap at the back. Far easier, and cheaper, to produce at home and transfer then to produce in the van.
Yes this is what I’ll have to do hopefully it’s not an awkward job! gonna cost me a bit to have that done plus an insulated shed and all the equipment to produce as well! ?

You're elected, Matt, I reckon.  You have the room in your property, the electricity and you can park by your fence. It's just a matter of getting the water supply sorted and building your shed and system.??

You're elected, Matt, I reckon.  You have the room in your property, the electricity and you can park by your fence. It's just a matter of getting the water supply sorted and building your shed and system.??
Happy days! ? thank you for the advice! 

If you get a tap put in make sure it is fed from the rising main, not a tank in the loft or you will have no pressure to run an R/O with.

I’d like to start making my own water at some point in the near future and to have the tank and all the equipment in my back garden and in a shed of adequate size. Only problem is my outdoor tap is at the front of my house and I don’t have a water source at the back unless I get a tap fitted somehow which I’m not sure I will be able to do. Is there a way round this? or am I best off getting it installed in my van I live in a close that has car park at the back and front so I don’t have my own drive but can get close enough to my property that I could run a hose into my van or maybe I could run a hose into my back garden via the side alley to make the water in the back garden. Don’t know what to do for the best but any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Appreciate it’s hard to give the best advice without pictures just wondered if anybody else has faced an obstacle like this.?
Is your kitchen and sink on the rear face of the property?

If so fit a tap on the rear wall.

20 minute job and very easy

Is your kitchen and sink on the rear face of the property?

If so fit a tap on the rear wall.

20 minute job and very easy
No that’s the problem my kitchens at the front and the outdoor tap is connected there not sure how/if a tap can be fitted at the back I have a conservatory at the back as well but there is enough room one side to have a tap. Only other way if this isn’t possible I can see it working is if I run a hose round from the front through the back alley into my side gate (not a massive distance) but not sure if this is optimal for making pure water.. 

Water can go anywhere either from a water supply in the bathroom possibly then under the floorboards and down into a room below then through the wall to the outside, you will then have a run of hose across the floor into your shed,

we live in a bungalow so it was very easy just run a pipe across the loft down through a room below then straight out of the wall right next to my shed but only inches away

The same goes for electric it can go anywhere, if you need a booster pump very easy for a outdoor socket to be spurred of an internal socket then outside, you can use armoured cable and conduit to run it underground and place a second outdoor socket inside your shed. 

Water can go anywhere either from a water supply in the bathroom possibly then under the floorboards and down into a room below then through the wall to the outside, you will then have a run of hose across the floor into your shed,

we live in a bungalow so it was very easy just run a pipe across the loft down through a room below then straight out of the wall right next to my shed but only inches away

The same goes for electric it can go anywhere, if you need a booster pump very easy for a outdoor socket to be spurred of an internal socket then outside, you can use armoured cable and conduit to run it underground and place a second outdoor socket inside your shed. 
Will the water pressure be enough from the loft though? As Martyn said above make sure to run it from the rising mains?? 

Will the water pressure be enough from the loft though? As Martyn said above make sure to run it from the rising mains?? 
Actually should be o.k, thinking about it the rising main should feed the tank in the loft so can be intercepted in the loft space.

Mine wasn't connected from the tank feed at all, no idea how my mate did it but the loft tank etc got ripped out some years later when we had a combi boiler fitted I have mains pressure to my outside tap and always have, I have a very good mate who sorts everything out for me.

If you are in a old house with suspended wooden floors then it may be able to go under the ground floor floorboards then up the wall then outside, it will really depend on your house and what will work best and which room the pipe will be running down if it comes from above like the loft it would have to go through a bedroom and then your living room or dining room, I personally wouldn't want a water pipe in the corner of my living room with a stop tap. 

Hopefully there will be a way to sort it without too much trouble. If needs be it could possibly be tee'd off the feed to the front tap and brought around the house as was mentioned before. Thats what I did to bring it across under the side path and into the shed. I used JG fittings and pipe and put a JG stop valve at the tee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully there will be a way to sort it without too much trouble. If needs be it could possibly be tee'd off the feed to the front tap and brought around the house as was mentioned before.
Yeah gonna have to get someone in to have a look see what my options are it’s good to know there’s ways and means anyway ?

Mine wasn't connected from the tank feed at all, no idea how my mate did it but the loft tank etc got ripped out some years later when we had a combi boiler fitted I have mains pressure to my outside tap and always have, I have a very good mate who sorts everything out for me.

If you are in a old house with suspended wooden floors then it may be able to go under the ground floor floorboards then up the wall then outside, it will really depend on your house and what will work best and which room the pipe will be running down if it comes from above like the loft it would have to go through a bedroom and then your living room or dining room, I personally wouldn't want a water pipe in the corner of my living room with a stop tap. 
No me either I’d rather have a tank at my mums house down the road if not ?

No that’s the problem my kitchens at the front and the outdoor tap is connected there not sure how/if a tap can be fitted at the back I have a conservatory at the back as well but there is enough room one side to have a tap. Only other way if this isn’t possible I can see it working is if I run a hose round from the front through the back alley into my side gate (not a massive distance) but not sure if this is optimal for making pure water.. 
I think you'll be better off using a hose and have it insulated and have it going through some pipe to protect it 

Back