Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water and waterworks 3D reels

Pjj

Premium Member
If you have waterworks 3 D reels and use hot water ,check  that the centre spindel is ok , having just taken all the hose off my two reels mine are both crushed and one is split quite badly, I was totally unaware of this until I took all the hose off the reels , I have emailed Jordan and an awaiting a response , but now don’t think they are suitable for hot water mine are well under a year old . 

692A29EE-623E-4182-A311-D60A8EB8A31C.jpeg

ABEA0144-E0ED-46BD-A5B2-190FB8D6A786.jpeg

1BDC8EAD-C127-4765-B260-27F5609169B0.jpeg

862D35FC-61B6-4B07-A32F-CFA588C3CA5C.jpeg

Flip that’s not good 
No it’s not , as I say unless you take all the hose off you would be unaware of it m I think it’s a design fault the cut out bit to fit the hose to the centre spindle is obviously weak and crushes with the hose expanding , having looked at the rest of the ones I have they are all going the same way 

No it’s not , as I say unless you take all the hose off you would be unaware of it m I think it’s a design fault the cut out bit to fit the hose to the centre spindle is obviously weak and crushes with the hose expanding , having looked at the rest of the ones I have they are all going the same way 
I'm not sure it's a crush issue. The hose has water at pressure a lot of the time and it's constant pressure.  When reeling in the centre is furthest from support so will be the section that is pulling the hose in and taking all the load. Looks to me like the material isn't up to the job of reeling in. As you say it's something you can only see when all 100m of hose is unreeled! I am a bit surprised it's made of some sort of plastic though.

The steel ones from Grippa are about £150 more but I like that they seem to be metal - even better the stainless version but that's getting on for £800 as opposed to the 3D at about £510 both inc vat.

Hopefully a batch issue rather than a fundamental design flaw, but please do keep us updated. They advertise as suitable for hot water. I have mine fully unwounded once a month so will check it over next time I do. 

I do feel for them. It's a nice reel and some cracking design features, but it has had a few issues since going on sale. Props to them though, so far they seem to be working to resolve them. 

I'm not sure it's a crush issue. The hose has water at pressure a lot of the time and it's constant pressure.  When reeling in the centre is furthest from support so will be the section that is pulling the hose in and taking all the load. Looks to me like the material isn't up to the job of reeling in. As you say it's something you can only see when all 100m of hose is unreeled! I am a bit surprised it's made of some sort of plastic though.

The steel ones from Grippa are about £150 more but I like that they seem to be metal - even better the stainless version but that's getting on for £800 as opposed to the 3D at about £510 both inc vat.
I have emailed Jordan and Emma replied saying they will phone me tomorrow, will see ware this ends up , but think we are going to be changing all our reels as all vans are hot water , Ime sure it’s to do with the heat , hose expands and crushes the centre of the spindle , it would be Interesting to see if anyone that has cold water has the same issue ????   .Fir the new van I have put the stainless Grippatank stack reels in as at the moment you cannot stack the 3D ,I was planning on selling the reels and had someone on the forum who wanted them but I cannot sell them in that state , so will see what waterworks come up with . Very disappointed they are only a few months old . 

Hopefully a batch issue rather than a fundamental design flaw, but please do keep us updated. They advertise as suitable for hot water. I have mine fully unwounded once a month so will check it over next time I do. 

I do feel for them. It's a nice reel and some cracking design features, but it has had a few issues since going on sale. Props to them though, so far they seem to be working to resolve them. 
Can't believe non of you picked up on my amazing pun ?

I don’t  know I have a bad feeling it’s a design floor the weak point is the cut out in the centre of the spindle  , all my 3 D reels are going the same way the one in the picture is the worst , I have a van working in London at the moment so cannot check that one but my guys are going to take all the hose off in the morning and take a look , I like Jordan and Emma and wish them well with there business, they are always helpful and have sorted issues quickly but fear this is going to be a major problem and will need a total re design of that central spindle which in the grand scheme of things Ime sure it can be sorted  it does  make me think there wasn’t enough field trials before sales though . Will be interesting to see if others have the same problems , and if ones using cold experience the same . 

Can't believe non of you picked up on my amazing pun ?
Cracking design features I did pick up on it ??

I don’t  know I have a bad feeling it’s a design floor the weak point is the cut out in the centre of the spindle  , all my 3 D reels are going the same way the one in the picture is the worst , I have a van working in London at the moment so cannot check that one but my guys are going to take all the hose off in the morning and take a look , I like Jordan and Emma and wish them well with there business, they are always helpful and have sorted issues quickly but fear this is going to be a major problem and will need a total re design of that central spindle which in the grand scheme of things Ime sure it can be sorted  it does  make me think there wasn’t enough field trials before sales though . Will be interesting to see if others have the same problems , and if ones using cold experience the same . 

Cracking design features I did pick up on it ??
Yeah it does come across like that, especially after a lot the controllers failed after only a couple of weeks and they needed to replace them. 

Like you say, hopefully something they can sort quickly and not any major long term effects to the company, as they've come up with some great ideas and it'll be a shame to lose them! 

I think I got my reel around the same time of you, September time? I'll reel all mine off tomorrow and have a look, as I use cold.

Yeah it does come across like that, especially after a lot the controllers failed after only a couple of weeks and they needed to replace them. 

Like you say, hopefully something they can sort quickly and not any major long term effects to the company, as they've come up with some great ideas and it'll be a shame to lose them! 

I think I got my reel around the same time of you, September time? I'll reel all mine off tomorrow and have a look, as I use cold.
That’s a good idear to have a look will be interesting to see what yours is like with cold water , Ime sure it’s got to be to do with the heat , let us know either way .

Told you all you should have bought Pure Freedom reels ?
No been there and done that , the pure freedom reels never did work from coming out of the boxes at least the water works reels lasted a few months ????? we will see what theses Grippatank reels are like I will di a review in a couple of months , you know what Ime like I will tell it as it is good or bad ?????

It's interesting that the Pure Freedom ones need to be specced as hot or cold. I wonder what the difference is?
There hot reels have re enforcement on the side discs , been there and had them ???

Pjj said:
There hot reels have re enforcement on the side discs , been there and had them ???
There centre spindle is strong but there side discs are weak and will buckle if hot is used without the reinforcement.

No been there and done that , the pure freedom reels never did work from coming out of the boxes at least the water works reels lasted a few months ????? we will see what theses Grippatank reels are like I will di a review in a couple of months , you know what Ime like I will tell it as it is good or bad ?????
They sent you the wrong ones and you never used them. Had mine for 18 months never flackered, I don't touch PF resins, poles etc but what they manufacture, in my experience of using them for nearly 10 years, is they are built to last. I thought Scottish was saying his were falling to bits and he only does £800 a month of windows ? 

They sent you the wrong ones and you never used them. Had mine for 18 months never flackered, I don't touch PF resins, poles etc but what they manufacture, in my experience of using them for nearly 10 years, is they are built to last. I thought Scottish was saying his were falling to bits and he only does £800 a month of windows ? 
I got the expensive stainless reels and then new slow motion motors in them. When I got it my first service, Oliver stuck in twin speed motors and also made them remote. Now I'm spinning those reels back and forward like I'm in the circus when I used to be clowning about with them. The new motors must be good or I would have broke them by now. ? 

I did try and use them one was wired up wrong so the  drum went the wrong way , the other  one the anti snag was set tk low and it wouldn’t pull the hose onto the reel , this isn’t adjustable by the user only the factory !,,,, oh and yes ordered and paid  for   stainless steel and they sent powder coated steel , so it wasn’t exactly there finest hour was it !,,,, no quality control what so ever , pity really as the reek has the potential to be good , also that carbuncle of a controller gets in the way with the hose going through the floor rollers if the rollers are close to the reels , and nearly forgot , no manual handles supplied and bits missing from the installation kit the grey electrical, connections , would I deal with them again no way which is a pity as there product  design is quite good , they need to sort out there quality control but from what I have Hurd from ones  I know that have bought stuff recently nothing has changed 

322113F5-3B4B-4A52-A057-E1C5645766E9.jpeg

C4CF5A20-9A3E-4EBD-8457-BD63C3683B3F.jpeg

ive said this from the start the waterworks reels are not fit for purpose and have not been tested long enough before being brought to the market.......dodgy power buttons and slow reel speed are 2 of the main issues plus they are made mainly of plastic!they are well overpriced for what they are too and now we see their not fit for hot water use.....

ok so i had a little issue with my pure freedom reelmaster when i first had it delivered...i reckon it had been dropped but after i got it sorted its never missed a beat in over 2 years constant use....they are by far superior to most other electric reels on the market and very heavy and well built(a bit like myself!).....its a proper over engineered bit of kit which is what you want really with the constant donkey work we put them through each day!

ive said this from the start the waterworks reels are not fit for purpose and have not been tested long enough before being brought to the market.......dodgy power buttons and slow reel speed are 2 of the main issues plus they are made mainly of plastic!they are well overpriced for what they are too and now we see their not fit for hot water use.....

ok so i had a little issue with my pure freedom reelmaster when i first had it delivered...i reckon it had been dropped but after i got it sorted its never missed a beat in over 2 years constant use....they are by far superior to most other electric reels on the market and very heavy and well built(a bit like myself!).....its a proper over engineered bit of kit which is what you want really with the constant donkey work we put them through each day!
If you had experience what I have with pure freedom you might not think the way you do , I agree there stuff is very heavy duty , but no quality controller what so ever there MD admitted to me that they needed to address that issue but they still haven’t  doesn’t inspire confidence I don’t have time to be chasing firms to get stuff sorted out , also that controller stuck on the front is right in the way using floor rollers close to the reels , but I do like there products if they sorted out there issues I would have bought tons of stuff off them , I have one of there stainless manual reels and I love it very slow winding the hose in but it’s indestructible. They just don’t learn from there mistakes , Ime very surprised they are still in business. 

Back